Lyptus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyptus

Scrollers, two questions for you all . . .

1) I've read some information on Lyptus that tells me it's a "natural hybrid of Eucalyptus grandis and Eucalyptus urophylla" but I can't seem to find what it's scientific name is. I sent an inquiry to Weyerhaeuser but didn't get an answer. Anyone out there know?

2) Has anyone in scrollerdom used this hardwood? It's supposed to have the density of hard maple and the appearance of cherry or mahogany (but less expensive). I'm thinking about using it for my next clock, if I can find it locally, and was wondering how it was to work with and finish.

Any input from hands-on users would be appreciated. Thanx.

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Bruch I don't know what server you are on but when I typed in lyptus in search I got a ton of good sites to search- it is a hardwood grown for flooring and one site says it is equal to mahogany but is less expensive .so in answer to your question I would guess lyptus is the name you are looking for. --grown in Brazil by Weisieser (sp)..
    Sharon

Comment

Sharon,
      Lyptus is the registered trademark name for the wood. It is a plant, and every plant has a Genus and species name; such as Juglans nigra (Black Walnut), Quercus rubra (Red Oak), or Hymenaea courbarl (Brazillian cherry). That is what I'm looking for.

Bruce
      Bruce
      visit sometime
      Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

I don't know about it's latin name. But I understand that Lyptus also does not lose it's color like some other woods like Paduak and Mahogany.

Comment

perhaps if its a "mutt" wood, there is no scientific name. Is that possible?
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

"Lyptus is a premium plantation-grown hardwood from Brazil. A natural hybrid of Eucalyptus grandis and E. urophylla....."

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/ourbusin...oducts/lyptus/

Lucky nailed it. A mutt wood..... And I have used it, scrolled easily and finished nicely. I think a search of the forum for "Lyptus" will get you to more threads on it.
            Last edited by bearfretworks; 03-25-2006, 08:25 PM.
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Well, I used Lyptus and almost slammed it against the wall. It was so darn hard to scroll I thought I was going through rock!!!! I finished one basket and that is it! The rest of the wood is on the bottom of my pile holding up the rest of the stack! I was told that some of it is denser than others, so I must have gotten the densiest (is that a word?) piece there was! I would only use the rest for a shelf that didn't have to be cut! Hope everyone else had better luck than I did!! I must say it did stay the same color, even took on a pinkish hue, but I won't use it again.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Wil8989,
                I've made a couple of clocks out of Brazilian Cherry, and let me assure you that was the hardest wood I've ever played with. I don't know how they would compare (I once saw a link to a chart that compared wood hardness, but I'm not sure where I saw it.), but I can't imagine the Lyptus to be harder than the B.Cherry. It may be academic because I'm not having luck finding a lumber yard willing to bother with ordering 1 or 2 boards. I guess it's back to "traditional" lumber.

Bruce
                Bruce
                visit sometime
                Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

I really like working with Lyptus. It's nowhere near Brazilian Cherry as far as hardness. I regularly scroll with hardwoods and I found Lyptus to be comparable to scrolling white oak. It has a very straight grain structure and finishes very nicely. It was not as easy as Cherry to resaw but was easier than the White Oak. I really like it. One word of caution though, I found it to be somewhat brittle for fine cuts. As far as the link for wood hardness, there's tons of places that have it, this is but one. (Had to switch that link, sorry about that).
                  The attached photos show Lyptus on the left compared to Cherry on the right finished with natural Danish oil and clear lacquer.

Kevin
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jediscroller; 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM.
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I made one, notice I said one, basket out of brazilian cherry and it came out beautiful. I had no problem selling it for $60 at a craft show but I doubt I could that money out of a lyptus basket same size. I doubt I would have the patience to cut it in the first place. Could be the grain in the piece I had was just too close together and made it extremely dense. Whatever it was, I doubt very seriously I would ever use it again for a craft project.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

lyptus

Milwab, I just sent you a message about lyptus. Read it and let me know what you think. I can vouch for the place 100%. I get most of my lumber from them and they are very honest and their lumber is excellent. If they won't ship to you. I can pick it up and ship myself, no problem.

Betty
                      Betty

Comment

Bruce,
                        If you have a local Woodcraft store, they carry Lyptus for around $4 a bd. ft.
                        Forgot to put that in my first post.

Kevin
                        Kevin

Comment

Hi Bruce. I can not find the grandis or urophylla -Eucalyptus. but we have many Eucalyptus trees here in calif. i have some in my yard. they are grown alot in the dairy farms for wind breaks. also used for the bark in teas. and my gardon book has a few names. here goes.they are also called gum trees. valued for their timber. also oil distilled fromm the leaves. also the leaves are used for cough medicines and insect repellents. lots more uses ,
                          but here are some more names of the Eucalyptus trees. maybe that can help in you search.
                          Blue gum (E. Globulus ) grown in Calif.
                          Murray red gum (E. camaldulensis)
                          Red ironbark (E. fibrosa) that one sounds hard
                          Red mahogany (E. resinifera) those grow to about 100 ft
                          anyway thats all i can find. I have never seen it sold in are wood stores , but then i have never looked lol. hope these names, help you in your search. I would love to try to cut some of it , only because i'm a sucker for punishment, and love a challenge. lol. If it is not as hard as White oak then i will be ok. mmmm now you got me in my gardon books. see what you did. your friend Evie

Comment

It took a while, but I finally found it. Lyptus has a hardness of 1700 which is higher than White Oak at 1360 and just about the same as Padauk which is 1725. I have to say it didn't seem as tough to cut as Padauk, but I've only ever cut Padauk in 2" thickness.
                            Brazilian Cherry is 2820 for reference.

Kevin
                            Kevin

Comment

FYI:

Woodsmith magazine Vol28/No164 page 48 has something on Lyptus.

They say it compares to hard Maple or red Oak for density, dulls HSS quickly and recommend sticking to carbide tipped bits and blades.

They also say it compares to mahogany but at half the cost, has a 15 year harvest cycle (4 times faster than Northern Redwoods) sands easily and takes stain well without blotching.

Aracruz Wood Products, the manufacturer of Lyptus was awarded the Marcus Wallendbeg prize for advancement in forestry. It is distributed in the US exclusively by Weyerhauser.
                              http://marleb.com
                              DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X