Corian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corian

I really need some input on this issue. How hard is Corian to cut? This is a stupid question on my part because I'm pretty sure of the answer but, here it goes. Can it be planed to a different thickness because I need 1/4" and all I can find is 1/2" . I am looking forward to your answers.

Kevin
    When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

hmmm, planing it huh? Good question, Ill be watching for answers on that. As for cutting, yes, it scrolls nicely, with the right blade.I used a #3 FD-Polar blade on some with no problem, that was after I tried using a FD-TC blade with bad results, and after some PSWood 'super-sharps' blades, that were a total waste. Mike can hook you up with some good corian blades, and I hope you get some answers on planing corian, I do know it sands great, but for some reason I see planing it a total mess. I picture short little ribbons of corian static clinging to everything in sight, and the stuff you cant see to.Turning it, it comes off in the coolest little ribbon though. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by heavykevy
      I really need some input on this issue. How hard is Corian to cut? This is a stupid question on my part because I'm pretty sure of the answer but, here it goes. Can it be planed to a different thickness because I need 1/4" and all I can find is 1/2" . I am looking forward to your answers.

Kevin
      According to a pamphlet that I received from CORIAN. "How to work with Corian". No mention of using a thickness planer.

Here is a few quotes though: "Corian can fabricated with most conventional woodworking tools. It works like fine hardwood. Yet it is important to remember that Corian is an extremely dense, hard material that will dull the standard steel cutting edes of saw blades or router bits rathere quickly under prolonged use. When making cuts with Corian, remember that it behaves like a hard, grainless wood with color and pattern running throughout the material."

It mentions many tools to use but does not say you can or cannot use a thickness planer. You can call 1-800-4-CORIAN and ask them if planing can be done.

Comment

Thanks for your answer's If I had a planer that I didn't care about I would try it in an instant. I agree with you lucky I can see little ribbons stuck to every thing.My planer is just 2 months old . I can get new knives for it at Lowes. I think I'll call the 800 number Monday and ask then.
        When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

Comment

The enemy of cutting Corian (Nairoc) is Heat and removal of cutting chips.

The cutting chips are hot. In some cases, hot enough to re-melt back on the Corian after they have been cut. You must remove the chips.

Back up a bit, I suspect in your bandsaw - resawing operaton you might have a problem. My band saw had no problem going thru 1/2 inch corian, but if I tried to cut thru 8 or 10 inches in a re-saw operation, I doubt that my bandsaw blades would survive. The heat would dull them in no time.

As for surface planing, Just How Good is you dust collector? Can you get rid of all the cutting chips before they land back on the product and remelt to the surface?

BTW: I suggest you ask your question on a more general Woodworking forum to get a much broader readership for an answer. Shopsmith magazine would be a good choice, but be warned, you need a thick skin there if you admit you use a scroll saw. (Scroll saws don't make enough noise, don't use 3,4, or 5 HP motors, and so forth.)

Phil

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
            by will8989
            This market is run a little different than most. All monies collected go back into the market. Each month they put on a different event to draw in people. The budget is usually $600 in the busy months. The pavilion is well maintained with sides that pull down in the colder months. The only time Sunday...
            Today, 01:41 AM
          • cwmagee
            Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
            by cwmagee
            A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
            Yesterday, 07:28 PM
          • Rolf
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by Rolf
            Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
            That is...
            Yesterday, 08:15 AM
          • Jimern
            by Jimern
            The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
            Yesterday, 06:29 AM
          • will8989
            by will8989
            The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
            10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
          Working...
          X