Canadian Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Wood

Have any of our friends from up north heard of Black Spruce? A friend of mine went up to a lodge on the French River for fishing, I did ask him if he could find out about it, and maybe pick up a log, he was told nobody ever heard of it. Just curious. Bob
    Be the good,
    you want to see in the world...

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure.../blkspruce.htm

I thought you might like this link I was in a black spruce forest once, kinda like the scene in Lord of the Rings where the elves are heading to the boat. My grandpa used to make chewing gum from black spruce trees.

Comment

EEEW thanks for the link mag-- makes me want to move to BC--and leave this hot 80* weather...\
      Sharon

Comment

You are always welcome in BC Sharon.
        We have enough wood for a few more scrollers
        Heck I could probably scrounge up a nice feast of salmon too.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me Carl- but I never had salmon except canned and I'd rather have mackrel-- or catfish --you do live in some beautiful country.and I even had to turn on my air conditioner today- I hate to think of what our summer will be..
          Sharon

Comment

There is nothing like a fresh planked salmon cooked over an open,
            The natives used to take a cedar plank and soak it over night in sea water.
            The wood steams more than it burns and the flavour it gives the salmon is incredible.

I guess we take fresh fish for granted here. Mind you it is cheaper to buy it than it is to get the license and the gear, take the time off work and catch it yourself. I guess it is just a different passion.

Here is a link to where I live.
            It is a great place to raise a family. Not a bad place for scrolling too.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Man, I'm going to Carls for dinner.......drool, drool...... Love that cedar planked salmon.....

To the original question.... Black spruce (aka swamp spruce), and not to be confused with white spruce or Sitka spruce, grows in swamps/bogs here in Aalaska. It is a real soft wood and a slow growing tree. It is not uncommon for a 3" diameter black spruce to be over 100 years old. In all my years of looking thru black spruce forests for a moose, I've never seen one big enough to cut into scrollling size pieces, unless you need real narrow strips.......
              ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Cool place Carl- but since all I have that lives with me is my dog I'll not have to worry about schools and such--lol. Pick me out a spot on the creek bank and I' be in heaven..
                Sharon

Comment

,for the black spruce update, sure would want to visit Alaska, it has always been a dream with me. You sure are lucky.Bob
                  Be the good,
                  you want to see in the world...

Comment

Bearfretworks,
                    Those must be some really undernourished mooses if'n you can't get some scrolling slabs out of 'em! (or was it the black spruce? hmmm...)
                    Sandy

Comment

Good one Sandy!!!!!

Yep, it was the swamp spruce.....

Barry
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X