How about Magnolia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about Magnolia?

I've got a large piece of a Magnolia tree that has been air drying outside for 2 yrs.It's 3 ft long and 27 " diameter.Does anyone have any experience with this type wood? Is it a good wood to work with, or should I make firewood with it?
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."---Thomas Paine

never fire wood
    I am sure you will get some feedback. I havent used it before.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I haven't used it but I bet it would make some pretty somethings-- I am thinking resaw time-- do you have a bandsaw? Why not try to make well all I can think of is a bird/squirrell feeder like the one I just made that looks like a porch swing. I resaw some pine that wasn't good for anything and made a cute feeder.. my cost-- $0 But I can sell it for $25.
      Sharon

Comment

Give it a try

I haven't used magnolia either, but my wood book says it is a relatively hard, easy to work, stable, straight-grained wood. It's only drawback seems to be that its color is bland, although minerals will sometimes give it streaks.

Sounds to me like it's worth a try.

Dan

Comment

I have seen it used for turning, but I see no reason why it cant be scrolled.
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X