How about Magnolia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about Magnolia?

I've got a large piece of a Magnolia tree that has been air drying outside for 2 yrs.It's 3 ft long and 27 " diameter.Does anyone have any experience with this type wood? Is it a good wood to work with, or should I make firewood with it?
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."---Thomas Paine

never fire wood
    I am sure you will get some feedback. I havent used it before.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I haven't used it but I bet it would make some pretty somethings-- I am thinking resaw time-- do you have a bandsaw? Why not try to make well all I can think of is a bird/squirrell feeder like the one I just made that looks like a porch swing. I resaw some pine that wasn't good for anything and made a cute feeder.. my cost-- $0 But I can sell it for $25.
      Sharon

Comment

Give it a try

I haven't used magnolia either, but my wood book says it is a relatively hard, easy to work, stable, straight-grained wood. It's only drawback seems to be that its color is bland, although minerals will sometimes give it streaks.

Sounds to me like it's worth a try.

Dan

Comment

I have seen it used for turning, but I see no reason why it cant be scrolled.
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
            Reply to Shawl pins
            by KarlB
            That's what I was wondering Betty: If these would work (larger) for hair?

Karl...
            Today, 04:47 PM
          • RJweb
            Reply to Shawl pins
            by RJweb
            Who said being bald isn’t a plus, RJ...
            Today, 01:18 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
            by will8989
            The perfect solution when I need a wider top on my Hegner. A magnetic sheet! I decided not to get the Pegas as the only reason was for the wider top and the top feed blade. After 19 years, my Hegner is still running like new and I couldn’t justify the expense. It was a “want” and not a “need”....
            Today, 12:27 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Shawl pins
            by will8989
            Good idea Scott. Also, my daughter has long, curly hair. She twists it up and around and sticks a pencil in to hold it. I also stick a dowel in my hair when working and my hair gets in my way and I twist it up. The one in this picture would perfect for thick hair.
            Today, 12:19 PM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Shawl pins
            by NC Scroller
            Very Interesting. Axor being this is a vary old thread you might reach more people by starting a new thread for your video....
            Today, 08:56 AM
          Working...
          X