Wood sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan,
    Check in with the manager of Runnings Farm And Fleet. When the lawn tractors and other mowers start coming in some of those crates are made with 1/2 lumber once again most of it will be pine but you can get some longer lengths that do not have many if any staples and most of it seems to be clean and fairly usable. The lumberyars have beeb good to me for scraps of plywood etc. Once they know what you are looking for they may even set some aside for you. I'll have to look you up next time I head that way.
    Dave

Comment

Well everyone I might have lucked out. I was talking with a friend who lives about 15 miles from here last Saturday. (They found cancer in his tonsils, lymph nodes and shoulder at the end of November when they did a tonsillectomy and he is now going thru 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy and I was checking up on him). Anyway, his father in law dabbles in woodworking. He told me I should call and talk to him. I left a message on his machine Monday night. He shows up this afternoon and asks what do I need. He apparently gets all his lumber as rough lumber from somewhere in Missouri. So he and some neighbor, plane it all and dry it themselves. He is supposed to bring me a selection of scraps. He said he would plane down to 3/8's thick some red cedar, walnut, oak, sassafras, and whatever else he has and let me practice on those boards. I kept asking him how much and all he would do is wave his hand and shake his head. He said they were going to be planing more boards in the next week to ten days so we'll have to see what happens.

Dan

Comment

Wow Dan! That's great news for you!
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

dan,check your local phone book for lumber stores, if you have a windsor plywood in your area, check them out for 1/8 ,1/4 , 3/8 birch plywood ...it comes in 7 & 9 ply .......it is nicer to use then regular plywood............phone book and phone works great to find what you want......i kind similar problem......i can find (above wood list) but can't find anything fancy (maple,cedar,aspen,poplar etc.) just plain old birch......in my area.....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dan A View Post
            Well everyone I might have lucked out. I was talking with a friend who lives about 15 miles from here last Saturday. (They found cancer in his tonsils, lymph nodes and shoulder at the end of November when they did a tonsillectomy and he is now going thru 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy and I was checking up on him). Anyway, his father in law dabbles in woodworking. He told me I should call and talk to him. I left a message on his machine Monday night. He shows up this afternoon and asks what do I need. He apparently gets all his lumber as rough lumber from somewhere in Missouri. So he and some neighbor, plane it all and dry it themselves. He is supposed to bring me a selection of scraps. He said he would plane down to 3/8's thick some red cedar, walnut, oak, sassafras, and whatever else he has and let me practice on those boards. I kept asking him how much and all he would do is wave his hand and shake his head. He said they were going to be planing more boards in the next week to ten days so we'll have to see what happens.

Dan
            Congratulations! You have stumbled upon perhaps the best, most under rated resource for acquiring wood. Sometimes these resurces can be hard to find, but once you have them, the benefits you can gain from it are invaluable. Not only do you get a source for wood, you can probably learn a lot from this fellow. Woodworkers love to share their knowledge. He will likely have advice and sources for things you haven't thought of yet. Establish a relationship with this guy and you will be golden!
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill,

I've known this man and his family for a long time. His son in law Chris and I have been friends for over thirty years, we were best man at each others wedding. I am however still waiting for him to deliver the wood. I hope to see him tomorrow night. Chris was diagnosed with cancer in November, has finished his chemo, and they are having a benefit for him tomorrow night. So I'm hoping for a good turn out and to talk with the guy.

Dan A

Comment

When you get to be a little more proficient. You might just happen to drop off a special gift for them as a way of saying thanks. Congrats on your friend and his chemo and radiation..He is in my thoughts and prayers. I too am a recent cancer survivor.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Dan, I see what you mean. I have been to Chamberlain, SD & although its not the end of the world, you can see it from there. I thought they had a lumberyard though.

Comment

Randy,

We do have a lumber yard here but they're a little spendy. They also don't carry anything under 3/4

Dan

Comment

Dan: If you have a karate school in your area check when they might have a show or tournament. M y granddaughter goes to one and when they have wood breaking
                      contests I can get all the 1/4" & 3/4" wood I can handle FREE.
                      Its usually around 8" lg x 8" w when its broken. The pieces are clean pine great
                      for small things. Give it a try if there is close by.

DAVEZ

Comment

Dan
                        I use some recyle wood that is dirty. I pressure wash the wood and then sand to see if any nail show their heads if clean then joint and asnd plane.
                        bob

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks for the woodfinder.com suggestion. I am new to Intarsia and am really having a hard time trying to find the wood to work with.

Comment

Here is a site that is very reasonable and helpful. He is a long way from handsome but he knows his wood. The Handsome Woodman, YOUR WOOD SOURCE FOR SCROLL SAW, INTARSIA and FRETWORK
                            Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Wood Supply::

Dan, I have a problem getting wood for some things also. Here is a piece ( picture frame)that I finished with 1x4 boards that are 25 yrs. old. Some of that old lumber is great to work with, but, for certain items. Good Luck. -- Perk
                              Attached Files
                              PERK

Comment

I did find two people around here with planers. One offered to plane some boards down for me but I also know he doesn't do anything for free and money is a little tight right now. The other guy I haven't been able to catch up with yet to ask him about using his planer. I'm still waiting on the other guy to bring me his scraps like he said.
                                I did finsh a few baskets and some other items with wood from pallets but they were really warped. and didn't fit well. If I can ever replace my digital I'll post the pics because I know without pics it never happened. I'll have to look into the hansome woodman site.

Dan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by will8989
                                  Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                  Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                                • garryatpa
                                  Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                  by garryatpa
                                  Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                                  Yesterday, 10:43 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by meflick
                                  Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                                  Yesterday, 01:10 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by meflick
                                  Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                                  Yesterday, 01:04 PM
                                • John Smith
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by John Smith
                                  Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                                  HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                                  Yesterday, 10:01 AM
                                Working...
                                X