Padauk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padauk

Hello, Is there any precautions to take cutting padauk, other than using a dust mask. I was cutting some the other day, (a very small amount) and the next thing I knew I ended up with a headache. It probally was just a coincidence.Any suggestions? Bob.
    Be the good,
    you want to see in the world...

I have heard it is a nsaty dust, although I do like the scent.
    I know issue 19 of SSW has an article on hazards. For those who don't have access here is another chart
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I do hardwood flooring and have recently had the same issue. Have never had a problem with Austrailian Cypress before (have installed over 25,000 square feet+) and a couple weeks ago had a severe headache for a few days. Got away from floor and when came back to sand it, same thing. I have been doing this for over 23 years. Another wood I just had problems with is Trestlewood (reclaimed fir that was sunk into Salt Lake for a time). When cut it smells like a litter box. Won't burn very well either. Very high mineral count which gives it a high moisture reading (17-18%). I will see how I handle the purpleheart project I have to do next week.
      "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Ive not had any reaction to padauk, or any wood dust at all yet for that matter, except I do notice when cutting cedar my nose seems to get full of snot. I never liked the smell of cedar, even back when I had snakes for pets and raised over 100 mice and rats to feed the snakes,I used pine bedding because I just didnt care for cedar smell, but the dust from it doesnt seem to bother me.
        Finishing on the padauk however, I have had trouble with. I used a BLO and MS 50/50 mix, and it took literally weeks to dry. I guess there was to much oil in the wood.I since cut somthing from padauk, and wiped it down with MS prior to coating it with danish oil, and it dried fine.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Bob,

I love padauk. I've used it for both scrolling and non-scrolling projects. The only problem is that the dust gets into everything! You must have good dust collection. I don't think a dust mask will be sufficient unless it is a very good one. I've never been bothered by the dust, but I know that some people are. My only problem is that it turns my white hair orange!

If the headaches continue I would strongly encourage you to give it up. If you're looking for a red wood try bloodwood. It's harder than padauk, but it's a nice wood to work with.

Dan

Comment

OK I know this is not wood related.

I do have a cure for headaches though and it does work.

Sports drinks, Gatorade or Powerade. The electrolites really do help.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Interesting comments. Now where would I get bloodwood from? The woodcrafters store that I go to does not have it.
              Carl...As far as the headaches, does the sports drinks really work for you?
              My son an I are always plagued with these headaches,that sometime last for days.(don't know what triggers them, and doctors don't either). I had heard of a headache ointment, but could not find it. It goes to say we are always looking for some cure or even pardon the expression an old wives tale of an idea to have them go away. Will try your tip.Thanks to all.Bob
              Be the good,
              you want to see in the world...

Comment

try www.thinboards.com i think he has bloodwood. Im not sure is www.sloanswoodshop.com carries bloodwood.
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X