paulownia timber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulownia timber

Has anyone worked much with paulownia timber. I gather from what I have read it is the better pine. More stable and workable. Its native to china and developing plantations here in Australia. As far as I know the plantations here are manly used to make match sticks. And plywood.
    Any information on this timber would be gratefully recieved.
    Thanks kerrie

If everyone will pardon a "carving" reference here on the boad, I'm working on a santa carving out of Paulonia right now. It's very soft (I'd say even softer than pine) but seems pretty consistant throughout the grain. It holds decent detail, and doesn't seem too sticky (with sap).

The advantage of that wood is that it grows extremely fast--timber harvesters will plant it and keep cutting it off at ground level until it grows a foot thick in a year!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

paulownia

Sounds like paulownia would be a good entarsia timber. So my next question is, how would paulownia work for the case of clock? Would it be too soft for a project like that? Does it split easily? Or is it farely stable.
      thanks kerrie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
        by will8989
        The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
        Yesterday, 11:10 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Farmers market
        by will8989
        Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
        Yesterday, 10:31 PM
      • tgiro01
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by tgiro01
        Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
        Yesterday, 09:38 PM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by Linda In Phoenix
        It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
        Yesterday, 06:47 PM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Plastic puzzle
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
        Yesterday, 06:38 PM
      Working...
      X