Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber for beginners

Hi everyone,
    I am a new scroller. And new to this site. I need any information on the lumber to buy for scrolling. I have little knowledge on the subject other than there are hardwoods and softwoods. What scrolling timber easy for a beginner? And what blades are best?
    thanks
    Anne

Welcome to the world of scrolling. Soft wood is good for a beginner and you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Either pine or better yet poplar is great. If you are just doing basic outlines try some laun plywood and have it cut up to managable size. It is 1/4" As far as blades go there is a person that frequents this site and sells perhaps the best blades on the market today. Here is his web site and on it there is alot of good begginers info. www.mikesworkshop.com Email Mike and he will even send you some free samples. The prices are great and fast delivery. Can't go wrong.
    John T.

Comment

Hi Anne, welcome to the forum. I am not sure what woods are available to you in Tasmania.
      I would go for tight grained wood that is quartersawn if you can get it.
      Quartersawn means the grain will be vertical.

Baltic Birch ply is a good material. It has more plies than traditional plywood and there are less voids on the inside.
      If you don't want to spend much money to learn about the different woods, try recycling old furniture, the sides of drawers are just the right thickness for scrolling.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Anne:

Tasmania??? Isn't that an Island south of Australia? You are very welcome to this Forum site. I am always suprised to find out just how far and wide the people who join this are located. You just may hold the record for being the most Southern Gal here.

I bet many things we take for granted may not apply to an island a few miles from the shores of Australia. I don't even know if you have big large home improvement stores like our Home Depot or not. Trust me, if you don't have them, you are not missing anything.

As I don't know what lumber supplies you would have available, it is hard to recommend. But if you can, look for Baltic Birch plywood. The product originally came from the Baltic States. ( Just a bit north of your island.) But now it refers to a class of plywood products that have many thin void less wood veneers. Great product for beginners. The product is in-expensive in many areas around the world.

Try to stick to inexpensive woods. You will go through a learning curve, so don't waste your mistakes on expensive woods. If Teak is cheap, that may be an exception. Teak is very hard on blades.

After you get beyond the beginners stage, do move up to hardwoods when you get a feel for the problems that scroll sawing will have on wood cupping due to warping. The cutting will sometimes release tension in solid wood and cupping occurs. (if the wood was incorrectly dried that is.)

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by jttheclockman
          Welcome to the world of scrolling. Soft wood is good for a beginner and you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Either pine or better yet poplar is great. If you are just doing basic outlines try some laun plywood and have it cut up to managable size. It is 1/4" As far as blades go there is a person that frequents this site and sells perhaps the best blades on the market today. Here is his web site and on it there is alot of good begginers info. www.mikesworkshop.com Email Mike and he will even send you some free samples. The prices are great and fast delivery. Can't go wrong.
          Thank you. I appreciate the help and will look up mikesworkshop for blades. cheers anne

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
            Hi Anne, welcome to the forum. I am not sure what woods are available to you in Tasmania.
            I would go for tight grained wood that is quartersawn if you can get it.
            Quartersawn means the grain will be vertical.

Baltic Birch ply is a good material. It has more plies than traditional plywood and there are less voids on the inside.
            If you don't want to spend much money to learn about the different woods, try recycling old furniture, the sides of drawers are just the right thickness for scrolling.
            Thanks carl. Why is tight grained wood better? Being very unfamiliar with different timbers in relation to scrolling.
            cheers Anne

Comment

Anne

If we can call you that. I am sorry I did not see the Tasmania location so I guess Home Depot would be out of the question then again you never know. As far as close grain only has to do with warping not any easier to cut if that is what the other poster was going for. He can answer better. But to answer your question is going to be very hard for us here because we do not know what woods are available to you. But with that said any soft wood would be a good beginners wood. Get the cheapest stuff you can find and practice your techniques. Any wood can be made to look like a million bucks so that is not the case. The things that become important later is what you are doing with the project. If you are doing portraits and scenic things then a baltic birch or finnish birch plywood is a good bet. If you are doing delicate clocks then a hard wood such as oak is a good choice. Any of the hard woods available to you will look great with a coat of stain or BLO and a top coat. Good luck and look forward to chatting more.
              John T.

Comment

Anne, perhaps I can ship you some wood.
                I just mailed some 1/4" stock to a person in Great Britain, so shipping to you should be no problem. I wish I had some Silver Maple for you, but I'm fresh out. I do, however, have everything else in stock.
                You can check out my pricing, via my link below.

-dirk
                -Dirk
                Need some thin wood?
                www.ThinBoards.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X