Sharing or gloating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing or gloating?

I guess there is a fine line between sharing and gloating. I fear this time I am going to dance on the line.
    In the city where I live is a craftsman who re saws woods for musical instruments, and while a book matched set of AAAA spruce soundboards can bring hundreds of dollars many pieces of wood do not make it into the musical instrument market.
    I was driving by his shop today performing my "wood run". I couldn't believe it
    A pallet 4'x4'x6' of quarter sawn cedar and spruce with a sign. Free Firewood.
    So I pulled over, loaded around 200 pieces, which didn't make a dent in the pile. The wood is about 8 to 10 inches wide and around just over 2 feet long. The pieces may vary from 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick.
    I called all my scrolling friends to come and take advantage of the situation.
    I went back 2 hours later, there may have been 50 pieces of wood left.
    My only hope is that it doesn't become firewood.
    My other hope is that his brother, who cuts hardwoods across town has a similar bundle!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

It's a gloat when you don't share the wood, only the information. It's always good to make a good find. I found a guy on E-Bay who lives about 6 miles from me. I've bought wood from him in the past and found someone two blocks away who cut down an Ash tree a month ago. We went to look at the wood, which was too short for his WoodMizer, but we learned about two large Maple trees about to be cut down and a large Black Walnut tree that will be cut soon. He saw the kind of scrolling and turning I do and told me that he has been BURNING his cutoffs (Blasphemy!) that I could use. I now have a supply of free wood (domestic and exotic) and he has a place to get rid of it.
    You can send my share of 1/4" cedar to....
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

It is funny how different types of wood are fodder in different parts of the world.
      Cedar here is used as kindling. Softwood is a sore spot for most people in BC. Not a topic for the forum Let the politicians work that one out.
      I get cherry from our local parks board when they cut down trees or do major pruning.
      I used to work for the parks 20 years ago so I still have a few ins there.
      I have a friend with an 18" Laguna resaw. I also have a friend who sells hardwood at prices so low you would think he was giving it away. His link is on my webpage.
      I still cant pass up free wood. I have many projects lined up for the cedar and spruce.
      I also got lots of wood from the local wine makers. They get grapes shipped in from California. The ends of the crates are particle board, but the sides are nice pine, thin and perfect for scrolling. They would burn it if I didnt get it.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Envy, envy,
        covet, covet,
        OH MY GOODNESS,
        How much I want it!

Way to Go!

Comment

Carl,
          Yep! It's gloating!!
          And well deserved. What a find!
          I keep watching for a piece of Pistachio (they grow near here) to try, but no luck yet.
          Congratulations!
          Sandy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
            Today, 10:32 AM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
            by Sandy Oaks
            As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
            Today, 09:46 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
            by NC Scroller
            I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
            Today, 07:42 AM
          • NC Scroller
            by NC Scroller
            I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
            Today, 07:39 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            by Linda In Phoenix
            I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
            Yesterday, 10:01 PM
          Working...
          X