Suggestion on wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on wood

I am looking for recommendation on plywood for scroll sawing. The piece that I am making is large about 3 feet x 2 feet and I would like to paint it with vibrant color wiht highlights and shades.

Thanks.
    -rk.

You didn't say whether this would be indoor or outdoor, based on the size I'm assuming this would be used for outdoors. Based on that, I would suggest any marine grade plywood. You have lot's of choices in this category, I would opt for Finnish Birch ply, but there are several other types that would work just as well.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

suggestion

My suggestion.
      Oh how I like to make a stir

If the piece you are planning on making is like the picture you posted I have a suggestion. You could use sign makers board. This comes in several names.
      It is MDF covered with a paintable paper surface.
      Also called MDO medium density overlay
      Now I know the diehard scrollers will have lots of comments on MDF and Paper for outdoors, let alone the comments on the dust from the MDF, but sign painters have used it for years and it has proven effective.

It is inexpensive, readily available, and a pleasure to saw.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
        It is inexpensive, readily available, and a pleasure to saw.
        And it blunts your blades quickly too.

I've used MDF for outside projects and they simply don't last, despite several coats of paint. My choice would be marine grade ply.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

It is meant for Indoor

It is meant for indoor. I would like to hang it to wall. Please see my other post regarding it.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/sho...8&goto=newpost

Thanks.

-Ravi.

BTW: This forum is great!!!

Comment

For indoor use and the fact that it's going to be painted, I would just use Baltic Birch ply.

Kevin
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X