Alternative Materials Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Materials Sources

I don't know how much anyone here works with materials other than wood. If anyone is interested in using plexiglas or aluminum I can tell you a good source for them.
    I work in the sign industry as a metal fabricator. We use aluminum a lot. Typically our drop aluminum is put into a dumpster that we turn in to a recycling center. The higher ups say that they do the same with plexiglas but I've not seen anyone pick up plexiglas in 3 years. Point is that if you're looking for smaller pieces you can pick up any of this for nothing or next to nothing if you talk to the supervisor at a sign shop near you.
    Our typical inventory consists of aluminum in thicknesses of .040, .050, .063, .080, .090 and .125. (.063 is 1/16 of an inch and .125 is 1/8 of an inch to give you a perspective) Some is already prepainted red, black, bronze, white, yellow, etc. Some of the drops can be quite large up to about 5 sq. ft.
    Plexiglas is about the same. Most of what we use is 3/16 inch but we do use some 1/8 inch. Many colors to choose from.
    This is a place where someone interested in cutting aluminum or plex could pick up a lot of pieces for next to nothing or even better free.

Thanks

Good tip Sparhawk!
    Offcuts are always a good source, sometimes you can get corian from the cutouts in counters, check cabinet shops.
    I have often thought of going to a flooring store for offcuts of hardwood floors and laminate flooring. I havent cut any laminate yet but it looks promising.
    I want to try cutting bone sometime or antlers, but I have heard the smell of the material is gross when cutting so do it outdoors.
    I also had a source of abalone shells, but the person who gave them to me says the dust is very dangerous.
    When I was on holidays last week I saw some incredible work done with stone.
    It looked just like marquetry but I am not sure if a scrollsaw was used or a bandsaw.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
      I want to try cutting bone sometime or antlers
      If you decide to cut antlers, here's a tip - make sure the deer has finished with them first.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I cut antlers on occasion, make custom knife handles from them. They do smell bad, no they STINK, when you cut them.

Whenever I carve antlers, the deer is most definitely done using them. But, I am seldom done with the deer.

Comment

Hi Gill, it's been awhile since I have talked to you.
          Have you done anything with that Lion pattern yet?

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Hi Bob

Not yet. I've got a backlog of projects to do first, including a present for a forthcoming house-warming party. Not that the house will need much warming - the weather is oppressively hot over here right now. In fact, it's even been too hot to scroll! I've got a new (second hand) Diamond scrollsaw awaiting my attention, but it's just too warm to set it up.

Useless, ain't I ?

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill

I always knew Diamonds were a girls best friend
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Gill

Hey Gill, have you had it long enough to be able to tell anything about it?
                I hope it works out great for you.

Bob
                Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X