Types of wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of wood?

I am wanting to make my first clock with alot of delicate cuts and am not sure if I should use plywood or solid wood. I do not want to spend all this time on something using plywood when it would look better with solid wood. What are the pros/cons in the cutting of this project with each type wood?

A lot factors into a decision like this!

Plywood is usually cheaper--and I have seen some very nice things done in plywood. if you are not confidant in your skills, plywood allows you "mess up" without as great a cost!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I'll agree with the obvious in that plywood is far cheaper. The only con I see is that plywood can be rather unforgiving due to chip out. I have had a few items that no matter how hard I tried (proper blade, wood preparation, feed rate etc.) it still chipped apart on some of the edges. I know this doesn't help much...
      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

The only good plywood used for detailed fret work is Baltic birch or Finnish birch. You can use oak plywood and others which I have done in the past but only when the piece is rather large. I like hardwoods over plywoods for the simple reason of the grain and color are better controlled. and give the piece a better look. I would recomend red oak for a clock and accent it with a walnut or some other exotic. It may cost a little more but the finish product is so much nicer. Check some of my work in my album JTTHECLOCKMAN. All clocks and things are hardwoods, no plywood. As mentioned you run the risk of chip out either on the front or back. With hardwoods you do not get that. You have to watch the inner plys in plywood for voids and that is why I suggest Baltic and Finnish birch plywood because they are voidless. This is one man's opinion mind you.
        John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• keystonecop
          Had to post this just for Rolf.
          by keystonecop
          117 puzzles have had their first bath in watco natural oil. My yearly order from the store that buys from me.
          No I do not eat that much mayo....
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Today, 05:32 PM
        • Rolf
          Excalibur 21 repair #2
          by Rolf
          I just finished rebuilding my friends 2nd EX 21, This one was in much better shape than the first. No rusty bearings this time but I re-greased them anyway.
          I adjusted the front back motion and and the blade is also at 90 degrees to the table when using the locating pin.

I used...
          Today, 02:44 PM
        • Bill Wilson
          Reply to Recommendations anyone?
          by Bill Wilson
          If it means the difference between cutting something and doing nothing, then go for it. It might not be the choice of most of us, but we aren't working under the same constraints as you. Hope it works out for you. Looking forward to a review, once you get a few miles on it.
          Yesterday, 02:42 PM
        • old fa_t
          Reply to Recommendations anyone?
          by old fa_t
          After totally over-thinking this, I have decided to go ahead with the Micro Mark Saw. It will enable me to do everything I can imagine in my limited space and budget.
          I thank everyone for offering advice, and I look forward to receiving more. As soon as I get it and set it up, I will post pictures...
          Yesterday, 07:37 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to Need any wood?
          by will8989
          Figured it out. The photos were Live and I had to edit them. As you can see, we were quite lucky they didn’t come crashing down in a storm. The last picture was a 2 trunk tree. My son already split a truck load today.

Next project, the roofer next week. Yippee....
          04-20-2021, 08:56 PM
        Working...
        X