Peach Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peach Wood

I am looking for some peach wood 3/4 in x 4 inch or 1 inch x 4 inch. I make custom wild turkey game calls . Ive seen some on ebay but theyre for making pens. If any of you have any for sale let me know or I would be glade to trade you a call for some peach. Thanks
    How can I be over the hill if Ive never made it to the top?

I just used a whole peach tree for bbqing ... makes great brisket. Guess I'll have to be more carefull in the future. Might be taking another tree out this fall.

Comment

Plain Ol Ed, Im sure that peach was great for the BBQ . Did the smoke put a tears in your eyes? Thinking about it sure put tears in mine.
      Have a great day!
      How can I be over the hill if Ive never made it to the top?

Comment

So I guess the peach tree my uncle is cutting down this spring, I should ask for? Along with cherry & apple trees?
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Harvest the Wood!

Will8989:

Any fruit wood (apple, pear, peach, etc) is a hard dense wood due to the weight of the fruit on the tree. The wood from a crotch of an apple or pear wood, and by extension I presume peach, are sought out by turners. Pear and apple wood from the main trunk where the grain is straight is desirable by antique tool makers for molding planes.

The problems a wood working hobbyist will face are sawing, drying, dimensioning and surface planning, not to mention insects, checking, cracking, warping, and other problems that are a lot of time and effort. For what a scroll saw hobbyist wants, or can use, it is a lot of work and effort. YOU, and only you, can answer the question will the effort be worth it for harvesting the wood.

Your profile has you in Glen Burnie, MD. I don't remember about your county, (Ann Arundel ??) but over in Howard County, near Columbia, MD, there should be a woodworkers guild club. When I was a member, about 20 to 23 years ago, some members had lots of $$$ tools. Since the entire Baltimore area has such a rich history in furniture making I am sure without too much effort you can find someone with the tools and expertise to help you harvest the wood in trade. You get some wood, they get some wood.

BTW, could you guess I object to cutting down any tree without trying to harvest at least some part of the tree. Even if it just to make a Yule log for some special Holiday in the future. But just think of a lamp, a bowl, or clock made from a tree you have a photo of. A tree you watched being cut down. A tree you helped harvest a section of. A tree whose wood you made into something. Try to harvest some part from the trees. Landfill is so-o-o wrong for healthy fruit wood trees to end up. BBQ Rock fish is better than landfill.

(I will now get down from the soap box, Thank you)

Phil

Comment

Good Wood Source in Va

I don't know if Rex has Peach but it's worth an email or phone call. I buy a lot of my scrollsaw Cherry and Walnut from him. If he can help mention my name.

Rex Pendergraft
            1106 Moreview Drive
            Lynchburg, VA 24502

[email protected]
            (434) 841-5398 (Cell)
            (434) 239-8735 (Home)
            (434) 832-2634 (Office)
            (434) 832-2620 (FAX)

Hope this helps
            Mike

Comment

I agree with you Phil - use any of the wood you can!!

I live on 10 acres which we had a timber harvest (thinning) on before building the house. I had a number of trees marked for us to keep. Had them taken to a local sawmill and they ended up being turned into flooring. 2 of our floors have the oak flooring from the property!

(where by Detroit are you? )

Theresa
              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Beautiful wood

I love everything about wood. I have been scroll sawing for about two years. The first pack of wood was purchased. That was about to change.
                One evening my father in law called and said that a cherry tree had fallen in the back of his yard and wanted me to help in the removal of it. On the way to his house I saw a sign advertising a portable saw mill. We called and had him come out to the house the next week. After a short discussion about the procedure, he cut this cherry tree into 1 inch boards as wide as he could cut them. That was just the beginning. That gentleman has been back half a dozen times since. We have not cut any living trees down. We only harvest blowdowns or the like. I have to agree with Gray Beard Phil, there is nothing like watching a tree turn from just a log laying there to a beautiful piece of art. One thing that has not been mentioned is the surprise you will get when you cut that log into lumber.
                I think you will agree when you see what the wood we found in a maple tree that fell about 3 or 4 years agolooks like.

Comment

That maple tree

It doesn't get better than this
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well, Phil, you would be right, Anne Arundel Co! And how did you get from here to there? Small world, ain't it? As far as the trees go, I have a cousin who makes furniture and he would be the one who will help get the wood milled, dried and whatever else it takes. As it on OUR Uncle's property, we will share all the wood. My husband does turning and we have some pens he made from limbs of a maple tree from our back yard. I am looking forward to making something with my scroll saw from the wood, although I realize it will be a year or so before that happens. Oh well, good things come to those who wait!
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

2 cents worth

Hi!

Here comes the "wise guy" in me........ Please no one take offense.

What happened along the way when we all had to start "buying" things from the "specialty" store. Wood, tools, toilet paper....

Weren't the orginal homes built with the timber that was standing on the land that was decided, "This is where the house will be"? Use up that lumber on your land! Geesh, you paid for it! Have it re-sawn, or sell it or at least burn it in the fireplace! NEVER take it to the land fill!

For us scrollers even small fruit trees 6" in diameter can yield some interesting art.

I'm as big a tech geek as anyone, however the older I get, the more I want to recycle.
                      I had 4 or 5 18" diameter red oak trees on my lot. Mature height and straight as arrows in a quiver. I dreamed about the furniture I would build for our kids from them.

They were near the house and at the edge of a back filled hill. They were dead and my wife feared they might come crashing down on the house during a wind or ice storm. I told her that I was goind to have them "cut". I ment "harvested". She thought I ment cut for firewood.

Upon returning from a week long business trip..........

Yup, there they were, cut, split, and neatly stacked. .......... at least they kept us warm at Christmas time as the kids opened the store bought presents near the fireplace.

DaddyCakes

Comment

Great Work

jadings,

I really love your African Elephant. I want to do one for a friend who was a missionary daughter to South Africa. I was thinking of trying to find a nice species native to Africa to do it in. But I really like the Spalted Maple you used!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X