Grain Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain Direction

There is a little girl in my church and she loves horses so I decided to scroll the “Rearing Unicorn” from Issue #18 on page 26 for her. I’ve got an old beat up Maple table that I have cut on over the years and have taken out the right size for the Unicorn (actually I will take off the horn and just make it a ‘Rearing Stallion'). The wood has some nice tight grain; my question is which way best should I have the grain flow? Straight up and down or at an angle in the direction the horse is rearing? Thanks everyone!

Grain direction of a project sometimes comes down to a matter of taste but the general rule is run the grain in the direction the longest side is. If the piece is longer length wise run the grain lengthwise and if longer height wise then run grain north and south. In the case of the horse I would run the grain east and west. Like the direction the main goes.
    John T.

Comment

As a horse owner I have done a couple of projects of rearing horses and I tried to use the grain with the bend of the animal, as I would see it. It all boils down to personal taste.
      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Okay, you both told me it comes down to 'taste.' What if I don't have any?

Comment

Well you did mention it was for a young lady, so I would go with her opinion as it is the only one that really matters.

Never second guess a lady even the young ones.
          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

grain direction

If you are making the copy yourself, try making it on a transparency. This allows you to see the final project before cutting a thing. The transparency allows you to move the image around and be able to utilize the grain as if it were part of the pattern.

Comment

Hi Grizz,
              Look at this picture, you can see how the grain is going. This was a best seller at craft shows with kids who had horses.

Mike M
              SD Mike

Comment

Grizz

If you have no taste then how do you know what you are eating. Don't believe everything you read on labels.
                John T.

Comment

Go with the grain

Grizz:

IMHO;
                  set the grain to flow from shoulders to tail, and if grain is not straight then add neck to belly. The object is to simulate muscles under the skin. If your wood has the swirl of a grain direction changing, place this on the rear hind quarters.

Just remember, unlike an Ox, horses and mules have their power in the hind quarters and the front legs are for steering. A Bull, Ox, or steer has his most powerful muscles in the front legs and shoulders. You get the most work done by using the correct harnes.

Phil

Comment

Grizz,
                    I may have a bit different view of grain - I started out as a carver (and I still am, in addition to a bit of scrolling). I've had so many pieces break off a mouse with cross-grain in the tail that I had to name him Elmer for all the glue I used.
                    So... I'd run the grain lengthwise across the skinniest (weakest) bits of the pattern - probably do the best I could to get most of the legs with the grain rather than across. However, I've noticed that a lot of scrollers seem to ignore grain as it relates to strength, and scroll whatever looks purty. I guess that will be OK if the piece isn't handled very much. For a young lady, I'd go for strength.
                    (of course, this is all just opinion)
                    Sandy

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone... now we are getting somewhere! Alot of good ideas floating around. That is what I needed. Now to make a decision....

Comment

Thanks Everyone

I decide to have the grain go at an angle in the direction the horse is rearing. Turned out pretty good. I had the little girl in my office today, I gave her the box with the horse undone. Told her if she could put it together she gets to keep it. She was so cute! She could tell it was a horse and got so excited she was shaking when trying to put the puzzle together. She finally got it..

That was fun! and wel worth the time spent on the saw!!!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                          Today, 12:59 AM
                        • will8989
                          Sundays market
                          by will8989
                          When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                          Today, 12:46 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by will8989
                          I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                          Today, 12:27 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by jim_mex
                          Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                          Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                        • KarlB
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by KarlB
                          Very well done!

Karl
                          Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                        Working...
                        X