1st Corian Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Corian Project

A few weeks ago I posted a question about working with Corian.

I thought I would post the completion of my first project. The project comes from SSW Issue # 18 article by Judy and Dave Peterson. Alas the unicorn became a horse due to my learning curve on blade selection.

I do not think the material was made by DuPont, so I use the term Corian as a general material term. It is 1/2 inch thick, and was part of a Kitchen sink cut-out scrap.

I hope I can figure out how to insert a picture.

nope, I guess I cannot figure that out for this forum yet. Will try again tomorrow.

Phil

P.S. May be this will work

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/att...entid=70&stc=1

Phil
    Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 09-12-2008, 04:51 AM.

GrayBeard Phil

Looks good Phil!

Comment

Great job Phil! The unicorn can now fit in with all the other horses...sorry to badly paraphrase Tenesee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie"...

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Way cool, Phil. Good picture, too!

Comment

Very good Phil, looks like it should have been a horse along! Perfect match with the material, looks like a spotted pony!!!
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Looks great! How was it to work with? as easy as wood - or more difficult??
            Theresa

Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Theresa:

Since you asked:

The hardest part for me was just walking in the door of a kitchen remodeling company and just asking for a kitchen sink cut-out scrap Corian. I was asking for free what cost about $25.00 per sq foot. The guy just gave me $50.00 of material for free. Maybe the end customer was paying for it, and scrap is scrap, but still....

I don't like to wear a dust mask, but with the strong warnings about Corian and similar products I had to wear a dust mask and keep the pets out of the basement.

Corian products are surprisingly very heavy. Not as heavy as marble or stone, but close. Never could get a clean corner scrollsaw "spin" cut without breaking a blade, due to heavy mass and my skill level pulling the piece and blade sideways or whatever. I always had to use the cut from both directions technique for sharp corners. I found out on the unicorn's horn that this applies for outside corners as well an inside.

The scrap I got was polished on one side, and very rough on the other side. The prices for DuPont Corian polish seemed high, and everyone talked about it being wood like, so I just sanded it with my random orbit sander, and then moved up to wet/dry silicon automotive 1000 grit and 1500 grit hand sanding. Then on to Mequiar's Mirror Glaze automotive polish. (Both of the above are available at larger automotive consumer supply stores). I wanted Mequiar's #2 but the place I went to had #1 on the shelf. I decided to wait to get a bottle of #7 and #9 later, if I needed them. Then on to Sears to get the 5 inch application pad for my random orbit sander (mine is a Bosch, but the 5 inch hook and loop at Sears fits just great). Since Mequiar's has wax built into the formula, I didn't need any other finish. Aside: not food safe, so don't use Mequiar's on counter tops. I finished the back before cutting and then blue painter's tape, and packing tape.

My 14 inch delta bandsaw with a 1/4 inch blade cut it with absolutely no problem. Which set me up huge let down on the scroll saw.

Because of the thick 1/2 inch, the FD Corian blade, with its 16 tpi, could not clear the chips as it should. However, the Flying Dutchman Polar blades gave a very smooth, very clean surface cut. The polar blades didn't need any additional sanding or clean up.

Slow down the saw speed, and very slow feed rate. I found on my saw a saw speed of less than 1000 cycles per worked best for chip clearance. Any faster, and I had to go back and sand or file where the chips had fused, or melted, back onto the surface of the cut. Turns out I was more looking out for smooth surface in the kerf than I was for blade life.

I hope this has answered some of your questions.

Phil
              Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 02-02-2005, 07:38 PM. Reason: grammar clean up

Comment

Sometimes the first step is the hardest! You are lucky to have a place to go like that - when I did get some (years ago) I was required to pay for it.

I like the looks of the finished products using this, but I'm not sure it is something I will do. It looks like I would have to get a lot of new products to complete the finishing, etc.

You did a great job on the horse!
                Theresa
                Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Phil, all that being said and done - would you use it again?

Comment

Toni:

Yes! an emphatic Yes! I will do it again. Not this week, but in the future.

The horse was a test, and 1st project. The goal is to make eventually make an Anti-Cat shove off mantel weighted mantel clock. (Tust me, mantel clocks made from 1/2 inch walnut are too easy!) And the request was for something in Art Deco style.

The part of using Corian like products is a GO! Good weight factor. Maybe not Anti-Cat wieght, but qualifies as Cat-shove-resistant.

Now for the other part.. Art Deco Style; this may take a day or two learning curve, or weeks or.... How about I get back to on that?

Phil

Comment

"Anti-Cat shove off mantel weighted mantel clock" LOLRH.

Sounds like we have the same cat! We used to laugh how she would selectively knock the inlaws pictures off the mantel but carefully weave between the rest (all in scrolled / stainglass frames).

Seriously though, it really hurts to come home and see something that took a lot of time to make, broken on the floor. Good luck - I have long given up THAT battle, lol.

Comment

Phil

Nice job on the corian project. Now you have a source for some really nice material. There is a very small learning curve there but easily overcome. I have to say I am a little surprised though you chose this material for a puzzle. I can see it would have the stregth but to play with I would be concerned. Unless this is one of those just for show pieces then I can see that. Maybe if you make another project of a dog and set it on the mantle the cat will stay away HA HA. Again good job and look forward to seeing more work. Keep them coming.
                        John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X