Cutting Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Mirror

I have heard about people cutting mirror on a scrollsaw but I've never tried it. I would like to know more about this technique and if there is anyone out there who has done this, I would love to hear about it and see some pictures of the finished piece.

I am familiar with glass cutting and have worked with stain glass in the past but it was all with a hand cutter.

Comments?

Originally posted by Canadianwoodcrafter
    I have heard about people cutting mirror on a scrollsaw but I've never tried it. I would like to know more about this technique and if there is anyone out there who has done this, I would love to hear about it and see some pictures of the finished piece.

I am familiar with glass cutting and have worked with stain glass in the past but it was all with a hand cutter.

Comments?
    I sure hope someone comes up with your answer!!! That would be so awsome to be able to cut!! Just think of the endless possibilities there!!

Comment

I suspect, IF it can be done, it would have to be with a specific type of mirror / blade (diamond grit???). I am guessing this only because of my experience with stain glass and cutting such material.

Comment

They are talking about plastic colored mirror which is like cutting plexiglass

Thes have colored mirror in the background. It is easy to cut. Cutting glass or regular mirror would require a wet spray system to cool the blade.
        John T.

Comment

John, where would one purchase this type of mirror surface??
          thanks
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

The cheapest place I have found is Wildwood Designs www.wildwooddesigns.com You can get 12" X 12" sheets or 16" X 24" sheets which I just placed another order for. You buiy in quantity it is cheaper. I am sure ther are other pattern suppliers that carry it.
            John T.

Comment

I have cut the plastic on my little microlux it came out real nice, have not tried it on the Delta 350. I have the mirrowed plastic, but have not tried it yet, I'm hoping it cuts as nice as the other. My edges came out sharp I was using a #3 R and Mike said I should use a Polar #3 or #5. I haven't made an order yet. So don't know the difference in the cut. I got the plastic at WildWood.

Comment

Those roses are beautiful John.

Comment

Those roses are lovely. Just think of the Christmas ornaments you could make !!

How thick is the plastic mirror?

Comment

The mirrored plexiglas is about the same thickness as regular plexi...about 1/8" It is possible to cut glass and other hard materials with the SS...We had an article in SSW 15 on page 68...about the scroll a fairy contest. The artist used a 180-grit diamond encrusted ss blade and a drip tank to cool the glass to keep it from cracking...it was interesting, but I can't copy it all here...I'll never get anything done!

Bob
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind words on the roses and Bob is right the mirror is 1/8" thick and cuts like colored plastic. There are so many possibilities with the mirror and other medium used in this artform. The imagination is the limit.
                      John T.

Comment

Originally posted by jttheclockman
                        They are talking about plastic colored mirror which is like cutting plexiglass

Thes have colored mirror in the background. It is easy to cut. Cutting glass or regular mirror would require a wet spray system to cool the blade.

John,
                        The mirrored plexiglas roses look great. I would like to make a set myself. Where did you get the patterns and what kind of wood did you use.
                        Thanks,
                        Bill
                        Delta P-20

Comment

Roses

Bill

Thanks for the kind words.
                          That pattern is a Berry Basket pattern www.berrybasket.com It is from a book entitled "Scrollsawing Basics" How to turn them into Cash. In fact there is a photo of the rose on the front cover. I added the mirror touch on my own. As far as the wood goes that is 1/2" red oak with a lite walnut Danish oil finish on it. The Berry Basket is a very good source of patterns that many forget about. Check them out.
                          John T.

Comment

John,
                            Thanks for the info I will check out the site and book
                            and get started.

Bill
                            Delta P-20

Comment

Yes you can cut mirror

You have to use a diamond blade, slow your saw down to a lower speed, and keep your blade wet. My saw, Hawk, is set up with a drip tank that drips a small drop of water onto my blade as it cuts. The only saws I would think you can do this with would be ones that do not have the motor under your cutting surface.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X