Loss of an old friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of an old friend

Today is a sad day for all Marylanders. We have loss a 480 year old National champion White Oak tree. She succumb to the 70 Mph. winds of a T-storm last night. Her name was The Wye Oak in Wye Mills, Md. This tree was a great icon for the Eastern Shore of Maryland. In fact it was, along with the land around it, A State park. George Washington's Mt. Vernon estate just had some saplings planted on its property a month ago. I feel very thankfull that I have a 12 year old off spring of the Wye Oak growing nicely in my back yard. They will leave it laying down for 2 days so those who wish to visit it may do so. I will take good care of my tree, and enjoy it even more. I would love to get some of the wood from it, but don't think I can.
    Visit Easton, Md's Waterfowl Festival November 8th 9th and 10th.

Re: Loss of an old friend

Woodbutcher, I know how you feel. I watched in disgust as housing developers pushed down several very old, very large white oaks in our subdivision to make room for houses. These trees were about 4-5 feet in diameter at the base and spread out to cover a circle of 50-60 feet. However, nature will find a way...this spring I found a sapling growing in the flower bed in my front yard....it was a white oak. I am nurturing it along, assuming that it is the off-spring of one of those lost to 'progress'.

Comment

Comment

??? Well, why don't they cut the wood for lumber and build a monument to the tree?

Comment

They said the new National Champion white Oak is in Ohio I think. They are hauling this one away to an undisclosed storage facility. Enough I won't bore you anymore.

Comment

They should contact a good chainsaw carver to make a monument they could stand right in the very spot . I know there are some very talented chainsaw cavers near by . National champion Dennis Beach . My good friends Rick and Randy Boni . Bill Plant , I traveled to Ridgway PA.were Rick and Randy live in Feb. 107 of us chainsaw carvers. met and carved for the make a wish foundation. we raise 25,000 dollar one day . Great bunch of carvers they traveled from Japan ,Germany, England ,Scotland, Canada and all across the USA for this event that is a yearly event now . You can find qualified carvers on the www.carvingpost.com there plenty of works to look at on the links .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by Jim Finn
              The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
              Today, 04:48 PM
            • MidMich324
              Reply to Plastic puzzle
              by MidMich324
              Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
              Today, 03:57 PM
            • RJweb
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by RJweb
              As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
              Today, 03:42 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Farmers market "survey"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
              I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
              For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
              Today, 11:14 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Farmers market
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
              Today, 11:00 AM
            Working...
            X