I just found this very interesting website about colored wood:
    http://www.aspencolor.com/
    It's really worth looking at.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Robyn_Shaye
    started a topic Carved Root Surprise

Carved Root Surprise

This is not a question but an interesting tidbit. I pulled a twisted root from the side of a creek and began carving a woodspirit. As I was finishing, I noticed some of the wood had a red tint to it. Figuring I had just laid it in some red chalk dust or something I finished the piece but the red would not come off. Further, a cross section of the piece showed a red center. After asking some old timers about the creek, I was informed that about a half mile upstream used to be a textile mill and that the dyes were routinely discharged into the creek. It seems the tree soaked up the dye and it changed the center of the wood.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• old fa_t
    Reply to Recommendations anyone?
    by old fa_t
    I appreciate the input from everyone but, I need clarify to my work? space. I originally stated my area measures 6'X10' and, it does. But, I only have about 5'X5' of available space and, that's without taking myself into consideration.
    I know from past undertakings, that I can and will confine...
    Today, 09:59 AM
  • Jimern
    by Jimern
    I'll add in some food for thought too. I was unsure if I would enjoy this hobby (addiction) so I started with the Porter Cable from Lowes. I think it is a good entry level saw, 5 months later I found an Excaliber on Craigs List and have been happy ever since.
    Today, 09:33 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Farmers market
    by Rolf
    Well that is good news! You really have a nice collection of items love the Wolf. I just might have to make a few pepper mills. And test our market.
    it will be interesting to see how my consignment sales will be. They were this weekend and again next weekend. I will know after that when I pick...
    Today, 09:04 AM
  • Rolf
    by Rolf
    Food for thought, When I first started scrolling my thinking was "all I want to do is this and I will never do that as it doesn't interest me". I didn't know I would be working with SSWWC or get sucked into creating Intarsia or doing large intricate fretwork, like Charles Hand designs....
    Today, 08:54 AM
  • old fa_t
    by old fa_t
    Thank you all for giving me a little more to consider. I thought I had covered everything in my mind until others chimed in!
    At least at this point in life, I'm not under a time constraint.
    Today, 07:37 AM
Working...
X