Cypress roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypress roots

I have some cypress dried roots, 1/2' to 2' o.d. and 6' to 5 foot long. I'am ready to put the knife to 'em. My concern is that having been carving 1.5 years, I have only cut bass wood.

Is cypress rough of on knives used for the softer wood ?

Is the root worth messing with ?

Thanks for your help

Re: Cypress roots

??? I've never carved the root but the knees are fairly easy to carve. The wood is somewhat stringy and requires VERY sharp tools to prevent 'fuzzing' along the cut. Let us know how you fair!

Comment

THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK. I RECENTLY BLEACHED A COUPLE OF KNEES AND HOPE TO CARVE ONE SOON.

Comment

Hi Fingers - Cypress roots are not too common in my neck of the woods but I was wondering if bleaching it was just to change the color or is it the norm prior to carving. I have often thought of trying to bleach drift wood but I don't have a clue how to go about it. Maybe some time you could share your technique and/or recipe with the rest of the group as I'm sure others are interested as well.

Comment

Mr. 'B' = use half water/half bleach. soak from half hour to 24 hours to get different looks.

Here's what I've done:

1. Stripped bark from a knee, soaked it for 3 hours. It came out with a tan look and very smooth. I sprayed it with Kraylon 1301.

2. Just finish stripping a two foot tall knee. Took off the bark where I plan to crave a santa face. The bark is darker than the carving area and lwill be used as the coat around the carving. I may try finishing with stain, paint (wash) or shoe polish.

* I'll try a root later. The bark is tight and thin. Could make a cool walking stick.

* I don't know about your kinda of drift wood. It's free and I beat it burns well in your fire place if it works well for you.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X