No announcement yet.

Blade converter for vintage scroll saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade converter for vintage scroll saw?

I have a vintage PowrKraft scroll saw, that unlike modern saws, really was built to last and still runs. The problem is, it's a major PAIN IN THE NECK to change the blades, and it doesn't accept pin end blades, which is what I mostly use. Most of the time my scroll-sawing consists of rough cutting shapes for whittling. This is the kind I have, with those big hex nuts and a small allen screw to hold the blade in on the top and bottom: http://vintagemachinery.org/classifi...l.aspx?id=2267
    Any recommendations would be helpful. I tried 2 of the Central Machinery scroll saws from Harbor Freight, and they were basically unusable. The first one had no power to cut 1" pine, and ran erratically, and the replacement had huge blade wobble from side to side, and the blade was obviously off-kilter (I had a very noticeable tilt to the table to get it perpendicular to the blade. So I just got my money back. Research online shows that all the cheap and mid-grade options are basically the same saw as the CM one, just with different branding, and the amount I use it isn't worth it for me to spend $500 or more on a scroll saw. Plus the expensive ones are too big to fit on my work cabinet. So I figured I might as well try to fix up the old vintage one in the basement.

This looks like it might work, if it can fit on the shaft after taking the hex nut off? Maybe? https://www.amazon.com/Scroll-Blades.../dp/B0B46M8W2V

Comment

Most scrollers want to go the other direction from pinned to pi less. Without seeing the machine in person the only thing I can think of is to make or have someone make adaptors. If you take the blade clamp nut off is there a split collet? Now it obviously has a slot the blade slips into. If that collet had a round hole then you could take a piece of rod with a slot and notch to hook the pinned blade into.

I would stick to the pin less blades.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A closeup picture of the blade holder would be useful.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Most scrollers want to go the other direction from pinned to pi less. Without seeing the machine in person the only thing I can think of is to make or have someone make adaptors. If you take the blade clamp nut off is there a split collet? Now it obviously has a slot the blade slips into. If that collet had a round hole then you could take a piece of rod with a slot and notch to hook the pinned blade into.

I would stick to the pin less blades.
          I hate pinless blades, at least on this old saw, because it takes FOREVER to get the blade to actually stay in! the pin end blades you just pop it in, and it necessarily stays in because of the pins. I don't do fine cutting, mostly just rough cutting the shape for whittling.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
            A closeup picture of the blade holder would be useful.
            Here's a picture- There's a blade in it now, so I don't want to take it all apart and take the hex nut off. IMG_3108.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to surprise from step mom
              by Rolf
              Wood storage is always an issue for me. I have a basement shop so some is stored in the rafters. But a lot is just leaning against the wall.
              Most of the projects I make require short pieces so it really doesn't matter....
              Today, 08:00 AM
            • Rolf
              Hurricane Ian
              by Rolf
              I hope that any of our friends in its path are safe....
              Today, 07:54 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Rest In Peace Diana Thompson
              by Rolf
              Scott I will be making some of these Angels....
              Today, 07:52 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Hot of the saw
              by Rolf
              Great wood selection! Is the tree Red Oak? Will this be a n active puzzle or just display? I ask because there are some delicate cross grain areas in the tree. Please post a picture after you put the finish on.
              Today, 07:49 AM
            • Dan A
              Reply to surprise from step mom
              by Dan A
              Finally, a chance to reply. Still doing a lot of repairs and replacement work at my brother in law's. After the long drive up, doing whatever my wife wants done and then the drive back I really don't have much ambition left.

Anyway, when I'm in a wood store I usually avoid looking at the...
              Today, 07:05 AM
            Working...
            X