Small scroll saws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small scroll saws?

I'm losing my one car garage due to not being able to afford the rent on it. So I am going to have to get rid of my Total Shop scroll saw as it simply is too big. I don't need a deep machine at all cutting out model rockets parts, and it needs to take up very little space. Any suggestions?

This is a quote from Steve Good
    The 16" King scroll saw will cut 95% of all the patterns you see on my blog. Maybe more. Just make sure you think through what you believe you will want to cut before you decide on a 16" scroll saw over a 21" model. If you are confident that the 16" model will meet your future needs then this is a well made saw
    I have a EX-21 but if I had to replace I would look seriously at a 16 inch King.

When I saw this quote I thought about the projects I do and I think it would be closer to 99% and there are ways around it by drilling multiple starting holes or spirals.
    Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I used to say don't limit yourself by buying a small saw. After 18 years of scrolling (yikes) I have changed my opinion. I have a Hawk G4 26 and a used EX16 with Pegas clamps. I have only had one project in the last year that required the depth of the Hawk. The 16 inch saw has been wonderful.

The Hawk is great when I do large fretwork like the gingerbread on my shed.

DSCN1406.jpg
      Last edited by Rolf; 07-09-2022, 08:15 AM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

To bad Pegas does not make a 16" scroll saw. With that said, I too would recommend the King 16".
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Another vote for the 16” King. I believe Woodcraft sells them in their retail stores.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I guess I should have added a really cheap used machine

Comment

If you are doing models etc. You definitely want a saw that allows you to use pin less blades. I paid $250 for my EX 16 with the Pegas clamps.
              Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                If you are doing models etc. You definitely want a saw that allows you to use pin less blades. I paid $250 for my EX 16 with the Pegas clamps.
                I bought the blade assortment for $56 so I'm definitely sticking with them. I'm living on SS so I've been find saws for under $50 quite regularly which is my limit. The part that is discouraging is seeing the new blue version of the orange "Total Shop" saw I have, selling for $800 new and not being able to sell mine, which is in like new condition, and not being able to get $110 for it.😭

Comment

Do you have a model # for your saw? I can't seem to find any images or information about it.
                  What brand and type of blades are in that assortment? are they pinned?
                  Last edited by Rolf; 07-14-2022, 08:07 AM.
                  Rolf

Comment

Do you have a model # for your saw? I can't seem to find any images or information about it.
                    What brand and type of blades are in that assortment? are they pinned?
                    I have the Total Shop saw, don't have the model number handy, it uses pinless blades

this is the assortment of blades
                    https://www.pswood.com/best-buy/
                    Last edited by Hobie1dog; 07-14-2022, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Which brands of scroll saws use pinless blades?

Comment

Most new saws under $200 use pinned blades. Your saw looks like an excellent saw. Have you considered taking it off of the stand and using it on a table or bench? I think you will really regret going to a different saw. And you will probably not gain the space saving you are expecting.
                        Rolf

Comment

Most new saws under $200 use pinned blades. Your saw looks like an excellent saw. Have you considered taking it off of the stand and using it on a table or bench? I think you will really regret going to a different saw. And you will probably not gain the space saving you are expecting.
                          I live in a condo and don't have anywhere for a workspace, only indoor bedrooms, so no workbench🤬 I have a really small closet out on the 8x8 patio but this is WAY too big for it as it is already 80% full

Comment

Have you considered a folding work bench/table that you can clamp your saw to?
                            Scott
                            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I sold my saw yesterday. There doesn't seem to be any saws less than 15" throat. Seems there would be an application for a 12" throat model. I'm going to get a Workmate folding table, the newest lightweight model that looks like a tv dinner folding table.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X