X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Scroll Saw 220VS Serial #35241- Making Loud Noise on High Speeds

Hawk Scroll Saw 220VS Serial #35241- Making Loud Noise on High Speeds

Yesterday, 08:36 AM
    Hi! I'm a new member. I purchased brand new in 2002 a Hawk Scroll Saw 220VS Serial #35241. This saw has run beautifully all these years but recently started making a loud chattering sound when at speeds 8 and above. I sent a few movies and snap shots of the saw to Bushton Manufacturing and they thought I needed new Thrust Arm Bearings. I purchased those and installed yesterday. The saw is still making the sound on high speeds. It sounds like its coming from the area of the Pitman Arm. At this point Bushton Mfg. wants me to send the entire motor, Pitman arm and controller unit to them for review and repair. I've gone over the entire saw checking to ensure everything is tight. The bearings I removed didn't look bad at all. It's expensive to send all the above to them for repair. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Thank you,
    Judy B.

It doesn't take much play for the saw to get noisy. It is hard to diagnose a saw remotely. The Pitman arm is my first suspect. I looked at the parts breakdown of your saw based on the serial number. It is vert different from my G4. But I would firmly hold hold the bottom of the pitman arm and move the lower arm up and down there should be no play or mechanical clicking. If I have the right manual this saw is a lot more complex than my G4.

I see that you already went through Donna's check list.
    Last edited by Rolf; 11-14-2021, 08:39 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

11/20/21 Update On Hawk Saw Noise Problem:

I sent movies and pictures to Bushton Mfg. They thought the Thrust Bearings on the upper and lower arms might be bad. From the pictures I sent they didn't feel the Aluminum Wedge Pivot was bad but I went ahead an ordered the Thrust Bearings and a new nylon spacer that goes with the Pivot. I double checked everything on the saw for tightness, even took the light off the unit just to make sure it wasn't an issue. I installed the Thrust Bearings and Nylon spacer and the sound was still there.

After all this I decided to send the motor and controller to Bushton Mfg. to investigate. They installed new bearings in the Pitman Arm because they thought one of those was tight. The contacted me and it was decided since they had everything there they went ahead and installed new Carrier and Motor bearings.

Everything arrived back from the Post Office this morning , 11/20/21, and I installed all the parts. I started the saw up and as soon as I hit 7 on the speed dial it sounds like the bottom arm is hitting something. After all this I still have the same problem.

I decided to unhook the rubber bellows from the lower arm and run the saw to see if the noise was really coming from that. Nope the bellows weren't the problem. I have watched the saw run over and over again checking everything to making sure nothing is loose or hitting something. I checked the stand for being level and tightness of screws on it. I'm lost as to what is going on. If anyone has ideas after reading this please let me know. I will be calling Bushton Mfg. on Monday and see what they think.

Comment

Judy is it possible that you can post a video on YouTube and then put a link to the video here so we can watch and hear? Sorry I have never posted a video so I can't talk you through the steps.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Sorry Judy without looking at the saw in person up close it is almost impossible to diagnose.
          Scot is right if we had a video with sound it would help a lot.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X