Festool vac and Pegas scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festool vac and Pegas scroll saw

I purchased the new Pegas scroll saw three months ago. I didn't really need a new saw, my Excalibur was working fine, just got caught up in the New Tool Madness. I really like the saw. Except a couple of weeks ago, it died. I was in the middle of cutting and it 'stumbled' for a few seconds and then just died. Tried turning it off and on. Plugged it into a different circuit. Replaced the fuse. Tried a different power cord. With a suggestion from a friend, took apart the switch and 'hot wired' it to see if it was a bad switch. Nothing worked. Discussions with people and it may be the main control board. I purchased the saw from QTE North America and Richard Boehl got Pegas (Grobet) to send me a return label and they will send me a new saw when the next shipment comes in.

My question - I do not use a foot switch, but use the on/off switch. I have the saw plugged in to the Festool Midi vac so that the vac turns on when I turn on the scroll saw. I really like the convenience that the vac turns on at the same time. Could that be the problem? I had my Excalibur plugged in the same way for over three years and never had a problem. Any ideas?
    Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

I doubt that is a problem. I have my Hegner plugged into a Festool for years and no problem.

Comment

I've had my Seyco as well as Excalibur scroll saws plugged into my Festool 26 vac for a year. Turns on and off when I turn my saw on and off. Works like a champ. Never an issue.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I would disconnect the festool vac from the system just to insure that the problem does infact reside in the saw
        Jim
        Texas - The Republic
        With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I have to assume you did bypass the vacuum and plug the saw directly into a wall socket.
          This is the first Pegas failure I have heard about,
          When I initially got my Festool I was using my Hawk. The vacuum did not always come on I think the motor did not draw enough current to trigger it. I use a foot switch so I connected it to a outlet strip and plugged the vacuum into that. I have done the same with my EX.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I did unplug from the Festool and plugged directly into the outlet, and then tried an outlet on a different circuit. The only thing I didn't try was my late husband's usual 'whack it with a hammer' fine tuning approach.

I am disappointed that Pegas (Grobet) does not have technical support available for situations like this. It sounds like their techies were laid off during the pandemic. It was suggested that I call Ray Seymore at Seyco to ask him to help troubleshoot the problem. I was told that if he suggested parts to replace, QTE or Grobet would pay for the parts. I had a number of problems with this idea. First of all, the saw is three months old and should be problem free. I also did not feel comfortable asking Ray for help, since I did not buy the saw from him. I had purchased my Excalibur from him in the past and felt a bit disloyal by buying the Pegas. And lastly, I did not want to be responsible for the disassembly and replacing of parts. I am moderately capable with repairing equipment, but this made me very nervous. In my experience, repairs are never a simple exercise.

When Richard Boehl at QTE said he convinced Grobet to send a return label, I jumped at that option.

I have not discussed this issue in any of my facebook groups, so you didn't miss it there, Rolf. I will wait to see what the final outcome is before going more public about it.

Comment

The receptacle on the Festool dust collector can be a little particular about the things plugged into it. If the prongs do not fit tightly it sometimes does not work - bend them out very slightly and you may be good to go. I have one tool that has that problem.

Comment

They need Bob back desperately.
                "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

As a Pegas dealer, I think I will chime in on this thread. It was a huge mistake to let Bob Duncan go, but I don’t know the circumstances. I Had a customer with a tension lever problem. I sent a new lever, but there was a question on how to replace it. They passed my email on to someone and he completely misread the email. His response was as if I was having a problem.
                  Denny
                  ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

The lack of service facilities is an industry wide problem not just in the SS world. To find tech savvy factory support is rare.
                    I am fortunate that I can fix most anything myself. I don't have a Pegas saw or I would dig into one. The big problem is most tools like Pegas are sold by distributors and it is not cost effective to have a traveling repair person. It is cheaper to send out a new saw. Pegas being new to the market (relatively) has not had enough problems to develop a knowledgeable customer base.
                    Unfortunately yours is the first I have heard of.

Along with the return label are they sending you a replacement?
                    Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      Along with the return label are they sending you a replacement?
                      Rolf, Richard Boehl at QTE says the next shipment is expected soon and a new unit will be sent to me. From the comments in this thread it looks like it will be safe to plug the saw into the Festool. I wish I knew what caused the failure. If operator error, I don't want it to happen again.

Comment

Jo Labre, there really isn't anything that you could do to damage the saw. The saw is a an assembly of outsourced parts made to Pegas specifications. All it takes is a cold solder joint or a component on the control board that failed. Being that this happened with so few hours on the saw that is what I think. As inconvenient as it is be glad it happened sooner than later. I personally use a foot pedal on all my scroll saws . One I don't like reaching for the power switch and if the switch fails it is easier and cheaper to repair my foot switch than the one on the saw.

Kudos to Richard Boehl and QTE for the appropriate response!!
                        Last edited by Rolf; 06-24-2021, 08:18 AM.
                        Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Labre View Post

Rolf, Richard Boehl at QTE says the next shipment is expected soon and a new unit will be sent to me. From the comments in this thread it looks like it will be safe to plug the saw into the Festool. I wish I knew what caused the failure. If operator error, I don't want it to happen again.
                          I seriously doubt it was operator error. Machines like these are designed to be run straight out of the box with no user activity other then plug and go. It was likely a bad component, or internal connection that failed due to vibration. Yes they do happen even in top quality machines. Even if Pegas QC does take it a part to analyze I doubt that they would share the results with you. The only potential for failure on your end could have been a power a surge and even that you have little or no control over.

There is one thing you might want to check if you have the skills. Motors like used on a scroll saw require minimum volts and amps. Running with too little creates a brownout condition that is not good for electric motors and control boards. Since you have several tools working a once make sure you are not experiencing a voltage drop. For example if you are using an extension cord use the shortest one possible and one made with heavy gauge wire.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

The saw was plugged into a Festool Midi vac, which was plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Rolf, could you explain your setup again? It appears your saw is plugged into foot switch which is plugged into outlet strip. Where does the Festool fit? Does it turn on when saw starts if it is plugged into another outlet on the strip? I'm just not following, I guess.

Comment

Jo, when I got my hegner long ago it had a light with it. In the back of the light was an outlet for the footpedal. I put in a 3 prong plug and plugged in my footpedal and vacuum. Ran great for 15 years. A few years ago the outlet on the lamp died and my footpedal at the same time. I had to replace it with a heavy duty outlet board that has my saw and footpedal plugged into. That plugs directly into the wall outlet my brother in law put in years ago 9' above the floor, but that's another story. I have never had a problem with my set up with this. Sad part is, when Bruce was still working and the the spiders broke or woreout in the truck engines, they replaced the whole engine. Much cheaper in the long run to replace a $30,000+ engine than to keep replacing a spider that wears out. The idea seems to be throw out instead of fix nowadays.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Tough Decisions
                                by will8989
                                Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
                                Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t...
                                Today, 10:57 AM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to Tough Decisions
                                by Quartz43
                                I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Tough Decisions
                                by NC Scroller
                                I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum....
                                Today, 06:36 AM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to Demo display
                                by hotshot
                                The fastest I've ever seen one of those 3d deer cuts was by Rick Hutcheson. That man was super fast when we was working the shows.

Here he is much more recently, and a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPDY6M-Lv8

Here is the pattern on Ricks' site: http://www....
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
                                Yesterday, 07:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X