New turning tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New turning tools

I just picked up a couple of new heavy handled bowl gauges. 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch from two friends that have tool supply businesses.
    Our next Scroll saw club challenge will be segmented scroll saw bowls. I don't sand my bowls, too time consuming, so I will be turning them after glue up.
    I know, no pictures didn't happen.
    I will take some later.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

You don't sand your bowls! Carole is going to be disappointed in you.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Actually, Jim, I'm delighted that making bowls with the scroll saw is still a viable part of the scroll saw repertoire.

In truth, the scroll saw part involves only the creation of the blank and the cutting of the concentric rings. That's what distinguishes scroll saw segmentation (both regular and open) from the type more typically done by turners.

Turners have been making "bowls from a board" for a long time, usually either a scroll saw or band saw for the cutting. And, you'll still find folks using a device called a Ringmaster, which generates concentric rings which are then glued and finished on the lathe. They can be identified by the plug in the center of the base, which I assume reflects the way the blank was attached to the tool.

Sanding, rather than turning, does allow many more shaping options. Although some turners do amazing work with shapes other than round, the go-to shape is usually a round bowl or vase. With sanders, more specifically the round inflatables of the Guinevere system of KA Tools, and dedicated software like PolyDraw, you can easily design, cut, and sand a wide variety of shapes. I've attached photos of two open segmented bowls which illustrate the flexibility that sanding provides. The wavy one appeared years ago in Woodworker's Journal, and the oval one is in the second edition of my bowl book. The sanding is trickier than that for a segmentation with solid sides, since the open areas of the round inflatables tend to catch on the edges, but there are ways to prevent it.

I also like the idea that you can make dramatically attractive bowls without the need for a lathe, but then, I use the dough hook of my KitchenAid mixer for kneading bread because hand kneading is too tedious, so who am I to talk?
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for posting Carole, Depending on what other time consuming distractions I have I might just have to do a wavy bowl.
        Also for reminding me that I have your books on my shelf for inspiration!!
        This will also be the first time I use the Excalibur to cut the rings instead of fighting the downhill battle on my Hawk.
        Rolf

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your work is always a treat to look at!
          Carole

Comment

Thanks Carole, I try. One gift that I have is friends, not only on line but within our club that continue to raise the level.
            And one final magic ingredient June's eye that looks at my project and says it needs a bit of this or that.
            Rolf

Comment

I have not had the time to tackle this project but it will be done at some point.
              Rolf

Comment

Carole,if I go visit my niece who lives about 45 minutes from you, can I come see you for a more detailed lesson on one of those baskets?
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty, I sent you a PM about the basket.
                  Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X