New part for Supermax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New part for Supermax

You could hear a noise kind of clicking sound when it was running. Upon investigation, Bruce discovered a loose part. If you lift the top and look to the right side you will see this part in trucking terms is called a spider. It’s supposed to be a 2 piece tight fitting part but this one wasn’t. Bruce called numerous times before he got a call back and he got the replacement part for it. He never replaced the bearing as he didn’t think this was really the problem because the noise was from another spot other than where the bearing is located. He will be fixing the sander today. What concerns me for an $1100 sander that isn’t even 2 years old and only has a 2 year warranty, the problems we are having, and they just send the part for you to fix. Luckily Bruce has the knowledge to be able to fix this. He has been reading articles and people are very disappointed with their service, or lack there of. It appears all their service is done by sending out parts and finally replacing the sander when they don’t, can’t or won’t. Bruce has talked with the rep, who is very nice and knowledgeable, and it seems he is just a go between doing his best getting parts out and explaining how to fix the sander. I expect better for my investment. My old delta had the motor replaced in the last week of a 5 year warranty and it lasted me for another 6 years. Even during our busiest time of the year, this sander is used only an average of 10 hours or less a week. Not a happy camper.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

I wonder if that is since they were bought by Laguna? knock wood I have not had any issues with mine.
    Being able to fix things yourself is a real blessing. For this machine and a small part what would they do? send out a field service person? I certainly would not want to ship it back.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

He’s working on it now. I’ll send pics of the part and “spider” later. Must be a thing. Bruce said when the part broke in a truck engine that had the spider, it was cheaper to replace the whole engine. Had something to do with the injectors, I think.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

It took about 4 hours to fix and get working. You can see the worn parts and the rubber spider that is cracked and falling apart. When you lift the top up this part is on the drum shaft on the right. 3 hours was just to get the drum square to the bed. He was not a happy camper.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by will8989; 06-12-2021, 10:35 PM.
        Betty

Comment

The rubber in these types of couplings do dry up and get brittle. Who knows how long it was on the shelf before it was sold to Supermax.
          Rolf

Comment

Bruce said Cummins replaced the rubber spider with one out of a plastic material. The repair rate on the ones replaced with rubber went down when replaced with plastic. Are you listening Laguna? He has to resquare the bed again. Ran ok for a bit then didn’t. He ran 3 boards same thickness marked with chalk. Closest to the motor was fine, middle one was ok and didn’t touch the 3rd one. Again, not a happy camper.
            Betty

Comment

After a day of sanding cardholder strips for SIX hours which should have taken 2, Bruce is trying to square the table again. It didn’t hold square and he could only put one strip in at a time instead of 3 across. Any suggestions? This should not be this hard. I would expect this from a cheap sander not one I payed $1100 for. EPIC FAIL Supermax!
              Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                After a day of sanding cardholder strips for SIX hours which should have taken 2, Bruce is trying to square the table again. It didn’t hold square and he could only put one strip in at a time instead of 3 across. Any suggestions? This should not be this hard. I would expect this from a cheap sander not one I payed $1100 for. EPIC FAIL Supermax!
                Dang Betty. Sadly a lot of today's tool makers are run by holding companies who are only interested in a quick profit.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

OK I don't understand how the table got out of whack? The table should never have come into play replacing the coupling. loosen the coupling set screw then the 4 bolts holding the motor. The table and drum would never have been touched?
                  What is the difference across the surface?
                  One other thing, I have to ask. did he move the offset lever by accident ? The one that allows you to do the 38" board without gauging the the surface by adding a deliberate table offset.
                  Last edited by Rolf; 06-16-2021, 07:55 AM.
                  Rolf

Comment

The drum had to come off to replace the part as the part goes on the shaft. Monday night he went looking through Utube and there was a step not listed on the written instructions regarding the drum squaring it. 5 minutes Tuesday morning and it was up and running. All I know is it’s fixed. Just check out Utube if the spider needs to be replaced!
                    Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by will8989
                      Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
                      Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t...
                      Today, 10:57 AM
                    • Quartz43
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by Quartz43
                      I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.
                      Today, 09:46 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by NC Scroller
                      I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum....
                      Today, 06:36 AM
                    • hotshot
                      Reply to Demo display
                      by hotshot
                      The fastest I've ever seen one of those 3d deer cuts was by Rick Hutcheson. That man was super fast when we was working the shows.

Here he is much more recently, and a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPDY6M-Lv8

Here is the pattern on Ricks' site: http://www....
                      Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
                      Yesterday, 07:08 PM
                    Working...
                    X