Excalibur 21 repair #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur 21 repair #2

I just finished rebuilding my friends 2nd EX 21, This one was in much better shape than the first. No rusty bearings this time but I re-greased them anyway.
    I adjusted the front back motion and and the blade is also at 90 degrees to the table when using the locating pin.

I used it a bit without a foot pedal. How anyone can do scroll work without a foot pedal is beyond me. What a time consuming pain to have to reach up for the switch every time you go to a new hole.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Foot pedals are a must to keep hands safer for a quick stop! So where exactly are the bearings you're greasing? I just assumed that sealed bearing had to simply be replaced when the grease inside them lost their viscosity. Educate me please because I would like to prolong the life of my equipment with a few cents worth of grease! Thank you Rolf.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

You have to dismantle the saw to do it. The first saw I did for her was older and it broke an adjuster in the upper arm. Part #64 was originally 2 pieces with an adjuster in it. That part was notorious for snapping. It now looks like the drawing. Also in that saw both bearings in the Pitman arm part #10 were rusty. I was amazed that it was running at all. She ordered the replacement part and it came as an assembly. If you replace the original clamps with the Pegas version. the small bearings in the ends of the front arms parts 27 and 35 are reused. Since I had to take the saw apart anyway I greased every bearing in it. I will get a picture later of the assembly that she bought. It is like the first image but without the clamps and front assemblys.
      . 059fe8a51e35e2873a2c1bdbefb7cd4b.jpg EX parts.jpg
      Last edited by Rolf; 05-01-2021, 08:50 AM.
      Rolf

Comment

Not knowing any better I started without a foot pedal. Yes I sometimes do demo's without one but for all my regular scroll saw work I won't scroll without it.

P.S. I also use a tall stool.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thank you Rolf!!

Comment

Me too Scott. A barstool! I don’t know how people can stand and scroll at the same time.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Rolf, I was referencing this post from earlier this year for discussion hubby and I are having. What is the grease you recommend best used for this? Hubby says any automotive grease will do. I'm thinking that would be adequate, but not necessarily the best choice.

Comment

Linda I use an automotive grease but it is 100% synthetic. Brand does not matter. Available in most hardware, automotive and Wal-Mart stores.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

So synthetic is the key. Awesomeness. Thank you.!

Comment

I use white lithium grease as it is what I have on hand but Scott is correct I think any good quality grease is fine. I think that the synthetic grease won't dry up like some of the others.
                    On two of the machines the small bearing in the pitman arm had a red grease that had pretty much solidified. I don't think that was from the manufacturer.
                    I did another EX for one of our club members and when I was all done it still had a tick that I didn't like, even after all new grease. I rechecked for any mechanical play and replaced the small pitman arm bearing with a new one. Absolutely quiet now.
                    Rolf

Comment

Thanks guys. I think the white lithium was what I was probably thinking of. It's what we used a lot on our machinery at work years ago because of it's quality. But based on what you guys say, and as little of it as I need for the occasional maintenance....you guys helped me a lot. I'm going with it! Thank you bunches.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X