EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolf
    The WoodMeister
    • Apr 2005

EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!

Our club has started doing Chapter challenges. This month it is wooden letter openers. I decided to do a delicate inlay. As I was almost done a small sliver of wood dropped down into one of the holes during a turn causing the blade to cut in a direction I did not want to go. ! To say I was not happy is an understatement. I will post a picture later.
    I will either fill the holes with epoxy or buy or make a new top. Maybe the new larger Pegas top is a solution.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
  • NC Scroller
    • Nov 2006

Though not often, I have experienced similar issues. Thankfully I have ruined anything.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

• Gary beasley
      Member - Level 2
      Registered User - Level 2
      • Oct 2013

Simpler just to drop a piece of tape over the holes same way you would do for zero clearance operation.
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
      Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

• Linda In Phoenix
        Always learning
        • Jul 2013

Aw man Rolf....that bites! But knowing you, the 'repaired' design will look fantastic and maybe even like an artistic creation.
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

• Jimern
          Member - Level 2
          • Feb 2016

image_76316.jpg Rolf, I had that happen once, the second time it happened I bought a magnetic sheet from amazon, the sheet is super slippery. I did not think it would stick to my Ex so I was going to use double sided tape, but it did stock magnetically just fine.
          Jim
          Texas - The Republic
          With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

• Rolf
            The WoodMeister
            • Apr 2005

Great suggestions! Gary I do use blue tape when I need a quick zero clearance solution. I did not expect to need it on this project.
            Jim that is an interesting solution it wonder how long it will hold up. I will definitely look that up.
            But you did give me an idea. I just bought a new roll of Duck brand clear shelf liner. It has a very different texture from the Contact brand I had been using.

If was still working I would have bought a piece of Jig plate and machined it in the shop.
            Rolf

Comment

• scrollerpete
              • Feb 2009

I have a magnetic sheet on my EX for over 2 years and still smooth, once in awhile I sprayed it with greaseless lube and wood slide real good. Highly recommended.

Comment

• will8989
                • Mar 2004

The perfect solution when I need a wider top on my Hegner. A magnetic sheet! I decided not to get the Pegas as the only reason was for the wider top and the top feed blade. After 19 years, my Hegner is still running like new and I couldn’t justify the expense. It was a “want” and not a “need”. But the magnetic sheet is definitely a need. Ordering today.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

• cwmagee
                  Member - Level 2
                  • Dec 2013

I have the Pegas replacement table for my EX21. It was the best investment that I made. The best part is they eliminated the useless vacuum holes and reduced the size of the blade hole as well. Another benefit was the table stiffened the EX21 frame eliminating much of resonant vibration. It is a much smoother operating machine.

Of course the added table distance in front of the blade is also is a great feature
                  cwmagee
                  aka Fibber
                  Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

• handibunny
                    Carole
                    • Aug 2006

Just a word of caution about the size of the blade hole. When I used a DeWalt years ago in the infamous community woodshop, and also with my more recent experiences with the Jet, if you do much bevel cutting at a steep angle, you will cut into the table. That's why inserts have the slot that can be rotated to accommodate this. If you don't do this type of work, there should be no problem. I vastly prefer having the slotted insert, which can easily be swapped out for the zero clearance one in a flash.

BTW, although it sounds ideal to do bevel cutting with a tilting arm, the increased vibration that occurs at the steep angles, as well as having to follow a blade that is not vertical, makes an idea that seems like the greatest thing since sliced bread not quite as good as it seems. Usable, but for me a choice only when for various reasons my tried-and-true Hegner isn't suitable.
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

• Rolf
                      The WoodMeister
                      • Apr 2005

That is an interesting point Carole. I have done some bevel cutting on the EX and can't say that I have experienced an increase in vibration or any problems with following the lines. I know when I cut one of your bowl designs on my Hawk I really had to concentrate on not pushing down hill.
                      Rolf

Comment

• cwmagee
                        Member - Level 2
                        • Dec 2013

Carole Your hole size was a concern when I purchased the Pegas Replacement Table for my EX21, because I had cut into the side of hole on the original table, The damage I did to the old table was due to the blade adjustments were not in the center of blade holders. So far that has not been an issue as long as the blades are centered in the blade holders. While I haven't done a lot of angle cutting with the new table, I did check the blade position after installing the new table to make certain that that the blade was centered in the hole when arm was tilted to left and right and did do some test cutting. I really have not noticed any vibration issues with the head tilted either.

A replaceable zero clearance insert would be the best of both worlds. I have after market zero clearance inserts on my miter and table saws, but not the scroll saw.

However when cutting small pieces for Intarsia projects, I rely on painters tape for a zero clearance.
                        cwmagee
                        aka Fibber
                        Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

• Bill Wilson
                          • Jun 2006

I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them and haven't ruined anything...yet. I don't like taping over them. The tape eventually tends to lift & curl and that is almost as annoying as the vacuum holes. Plus, the tape adds friction. I like the table to be smooth. I may have to look into the magnetic sheet idea.
                          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

• handibunny
                            Carole
                            • Aug 2006

Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight increase in vibration to concerns about cutting into the table, while trying to follow a blade that's at an extreme tilt that can be difficult to read, it becomes are lot more complex than simply tilting the table. After trying the Jet for a while for bowls, I found it easier to use the Hegner, even with it's small table. Learning how to cut at a steep angle involves pushing the blank upwards towards the blade so the blank can't go downhill, but is a skill that's pretty easy to master. I do use the Jet, equipped with the Pegas clamps, for anything involving top or bottom feeding--it's just easier! And sometimes, if the project requires both bevel and straight cuts, I switch from one to the other.

Fibber, I wonder why the EX platform saws don't come with a replaceable insert. That would resolve the problem of cutting into the table, and allows use of a zero clearance insert that can be popped in and out. The cast iron table of my bandsaw uses one.

My first zero clearance insert, back in the DeWalt days, was a playing card. I needed it for cutting the tiny sprinkles for my cupcake boxes. Worked great!
                            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

• Rolf
                              The WoodMeister
                              • Apr 2005

I just did a quick job on my table. Charles Hand has noticed that the adhesive on the new rolls of Contact brand shelf paper leaves a residue. He has changed to The duck brand. I just bought a roll and covered my table with it. It is a tough slick surface. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. I was gong to bondo the holes but my 20 year old can of bondo had solidified.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...