Saw tuneups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw tuneups

I tend to be a bit scattered when it comes to projects, I get bored and move to something else mid stream. It seems to be getting worse with age,

Any way I decided to tune up both of my saws, the EX 16 and my Hawk G4-26. I thought I had the EX perfectly square to the table until I cut some stuff when I did a zoom demo.
    I discovered and fixed a couple of things. 1. The Pegas clamps came already installed when I bought the saw. They had a fair amount of side play in the arm. so I put in a few shims to remedy that. The next thing was that there was a .020 inch of side to side movement in the stroke. I fixed some of that with the clamp setscrew positions. It is now about .004" . I have to say these saws are real easy to work on.
    Next I went to my Hawk, I had heard a squeak in it the last time I used it. It has sat idle for a while. Again this is a simple saw to work on with some challenges.
    I took the table off so that I could see what I was doing.
    The saw has has a stroke range of 30 - 1725, so when running slow you can hear when something is not right.
    I had replaced the pitman arm a few years ago so it is still relatively new. The top where it connects to the arm is a bushing. I put a drop of oil on it but it still had a Squeak.
    I decided to remove the the motor and pitman arm assembly. Made a small pin press to remove the pin in the upper arm ( never use a hammer)
    Getting the pitman arm off of the motor is the challenge. I discovered that there is a hole in the housing that you can put a pin in that keeps the counter weight from turning.
    It ends up that when I replaced the pitman arm I did not pay attention to three spacers the align the pitman with the upper arm. Put it all back together properly aligned with a bit of white lithium grease in the upper bushing.
    Runs like new!!
    What is amazing to me is that the bellows are the original now 16 years old.

I apologize for not taking pictures, they may have been useful for others.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Nice timing on this reminder. In between projects (or distractions) is perfect timing. Thank you!
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
      Reply to Wood identification needed
      by Rolf
      This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
      Today, 07:38 AM
    • handibunny
      Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
      by handibunny
      I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
      Today, 07:01 AM
    • handibunny
      by handibunny
      If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
      Today, 06:59 AM
    • dgman
      by dgman
      The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
      Yesterday, 10:40 PM
    • vgraf
      Wood identification needed
      by vgraf
      I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
      Yesterday, 09:31 PM
    Working...
    X