What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Last week i picked up a "WALVAC" central vacuum power unit/ tank thing. It was listed on Craigslist as free come get it. Well sucks like you cannot believe. (pun) It actually works pretty well. The question is what is the general consensus of using this central vacuum as dust collector for my table saw. The table saw is a 10" Powermatic contractor saw. Any suggestions for hooking up the WALVAC to the table saw would be greatly appreciated.

Typically a saw dust port is for 4" or 6". I really do not think that a whole house vac will be able to move enough air. Now it might work on small tools like sanders.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

You scored a working central vac for free....awesome!!
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Agree with Scott that it will not be large enough for a saw but would work ok with smaller pieces of equipment.
        "Time to Give Back"

Comment

For something like a table saw the volume of air moved is much more important than whether a good vacuum is produced.

Comment

I have a VacuFlo system for my house. It might have enough suction for a small table saw but not for the large cabinet makers saw like you have.

Like the others have said, your Walvac might work fine for smaller tools, especially for a hand sander.

The VacuFlo actually uses a built in turbine effect to separate the heavy material from the really fine dust which is ducted to the outdoors through the wall. Sooo, if you hook yours up, test it first to see if it also needs to blow the air outside or if it captures the fine dust internally in a bag.

Comment

Thank- you for the feedback. While cleaning it up here are some interesting details. It has a paper bag filter. Then a second cloth filter before two motors. There is a local Wallvac dealer in Grand Rapids for parts. They have the bags in stock. They also said based on the serial number be careful with the cloth filter as those are not available any more. It would have to be custom made. The two motors work but they are really loud. Either a switch will be added to disable one motor or a sound killer box will need to be built. It does not need to be exhausted to the outside just to the room. To get it to run there are two 1/4 inch spade lugs that need to be short. So an adapter will be needed to turn it on and off.

Comment

Will a shop vac work for the table saw?.

Comment

I tried a house vac once for a dust collector. It was prone to clogging the lines and when I tried to put a cyclone can on it the vacuum collapsed the garbage can.
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
                  Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                    Reply to Wood identification needed
                    by Rolf
                    This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                    Today, 07:38 AM
                  • handibunny
                    Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                    by handibunny
                    I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                    Today, 07:01 AM
                  • handibunny
                    by handibunny
                    If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                    Today, 06:59 AM
                  • dgman
                    by dgman
                    The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                    Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                  • vgraf
                    Wood identification needed
                    by vgraf
                    I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                    Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                  Working...
                  X