What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Last week i picked up a "WALVAC" central vacuum power unit/ tank thing. It was listed on Craigslist as free come get it. Well sucks like you cannot believe. (pun) It actually works pretty well. The question is what is the general consensus of using this central vacuum as dust collector for my table saw. The table saw is a 10" Powermatic contractor saw. Any suggestions for hooking up the WALVAC to the table saw would be greatly appreciated.

Typically a saw dust port is for 4" or 6". I really do not think that a whole house vac will be able to move enough air. Now it might work on small tools like sanders.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

You scored a working central vac for free....awesome!!
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Agree with Scott that it will not be large enough for a saw but would work ok with smaller pieces of equipment.
        "Time to Give Back"

Comment

For something like a table saw the volume of air moved is much more important than whether a good vacuum is produced.

Comment

I have a VacuFlo system for my house. It might have enough suction for a small table saw but not for the large cabinet makers saw like you have.

Like the others have said, your Walvac might work fine for smaller tools, especially for a hand sander.

The VacuFlo actually uses a built in turbine effect to separate the heavy material from the really fine dust which is ducted to the outdoors through the wall. Sooo, if you hook yours up, test it first to see if it also needs to blow the air outside or if it captures the fine dust internally in a bag.

Comment

Thank- you for the feedback. While cleaning it up here are some interesting details. It has a paper bag filter. Then a second cloth filter before two motors. There is a local Wallvac dealer in Grand Rapids for parts. They have the bags in stock. They also said based on the serial number be careful with the cloth filter as those are not available any more. It would have to be custom made. The two motors work but they are really loud. Either a switch will be added to disable one motor or a sound killer box will need to be built. It does not need to be exhausted to the outside just to the room. To get it to run there are two 1/4 inch spade lugs that need to be short. So an adapter will be needed to turn it on and off.

Comment

Will a shop vac work for the table saw?.

Comment

I tried a house vac once for a dust collector. It was prone to clogging the lines and when I tried to put a cyclone can on it the vacuum collapsed the garbage can.
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
                  Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Need any wood?
                    by will8989
                    Figured it out. The photos were Live and I had to edit them. As you can see, we were quite lucky they didn’t come crashing down in a storm. The last picture was a 2 trunk tree. My son already split a truck load today.

Next project, the roofer next week. Yippee....
                    Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                  • handibunny
                    Reply to Need any wood?
                    by handibunny
                    Betty, I just tried a test, using a standard jpeg file. I clicked "upload attachments", then selected the photo I wanted to upload, then double clicked the photo, and it uploaded without a problem. Go figure!
                    Yesterday, 12:07 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Need any wood?
                    by will8989
                    When I try to upload pictures, why is there an X next to upload attachments? I hate computers.
                    Yesterday, 09:14 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Need any wood?
                    by will8989
                    Here’s the pics. Or not. Won’t let me upload. Will try in the morning.
                    04-19-2021, 09:53 PM
                  • will8989
                    Need any wood?
                    by will8989
                    we had to have 2 trees taken down over the weekend. As you can see by the centers, Mother Nature was close to dropping them on our house, shed and truck. When he made the first cut the one directly behind our bedroom, it hit the ground and exploded. The one behind the shed was 100’ feet tall and had...
                    04-19-2021, 09:34 PM
                  Working...
                  X