An Unexpected New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Unexpected New Toy

Last year, during the Black Friday sales, and through to the end of December, Lowes was selling the small Kobalt 7-1/4" Miter Saw for $99.98 -- this one -- https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Comp...Saw/1000553513

One guy brought his back a couple of days later saying it didn't work - it would run for a second and stop. The actual problem in this case was - he didn't read the manual. There is a yellow safety switch on the saw's trigger. If you pull straight back on the switch, and the trigger, the saw will run for a second and stop. If you press down on the yellow switch and pull the trigger back, the saw runs fine. I took him into the training room, where I could plug the saw in, and showed him how to do it. He seemed fine with the way it worked, took the saw and left again.

A week later, the saw was back in the returns cart. I knew it was the same saw, because I recognized the tape I used to wrap around the power cord, when the guy left, after I showed him the switch. I, also, noticed that the blade had never cut wood. It was as clean as when it came out of the box. I took the saw back to the training room and plugged it in and it ran just fine. I even held the trigger back, letting it run for over a minute to see if it would cut out -- it didn't. I then went to Customer Service to see any complaint notes from the customer. The only note -- "It just doesn't work and I want my money back."

My boss dropped the price to $74.98 and we stuck it in the Clearance bay. It sat there until last Sunday. I, jokingly, told my boss, if he dropped the price to $45, I'd buy it. He looked me right in the eye and said "Deal!"

So, I have an unexpected new toy and I have to say I'm very pleased with the purchase. Aside from the fact that this is a brand new, never been used saw, I was surprised at how accurate it is. Once I got it home, I made a zero-clearance-insert (ZCI) for it and got it lined up with my squares. Even with the slider fully extended, there is no side to side play in the saw. So, I set it up for 15°, using the built in stops and cut a couple of 12 segment rings. As you can see in the pictures they came out nice and tight with no gaps.

All in all, I'm pleased with the tool. It does have the laser guide, which needs adjusting. If I ever get around to where I need it, I'll adjust it. With my bowl rings, I set up stops for the accurate cuts I need, or build a jig if it's something special.

Not a bad deal for 75% percent off discount - sure beats my military discount.
    Attached Files
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Nice! Pretty impressive that it cuts that accurately. My SIL has a Kobalt miter saw (non-slider). I frankly wasn't all that impressed with it, but it's good to see that perhaps they've upped their game a little.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Spectacular deal for you, and the store no longer has to mess with it. But I have to say it's good to know that they have the high standards not to try to sell a returned item for full price. Good for you keeping an eye out for details and deals.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Congratulations on your new toy, tool. Look forward to hearing what you do with it.
        Melanie from East TN

Comment

When I purchased a return item at Lowes, I ask for and got the military discount. But I'm a cheep guy.
          Great deal. Glad you got it.
          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
          Desert Woodcrafters
          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

An Update -

The saw works amazingly well. I've included a picture of a bowl that I'm working on. All the rings, except for the feature ring, were cut with this little saw.

However - while I'm pleased with the machine - the saw blade; not so much. Kobalt claims it to be a fine cut blade (it is a 40 tooth blade), but it leaves a pretty rough edge. While at work, I picked up a Dewalt 60 tooth blade and that has made a world of difference. You can compare the cuts in the picture. The Dewalt beats the Kobalt, hands down. Just for interest, I cut a wedge on the table saw, where I'm using a Forrest Wood Worker II blade. The Dewalt, almost compares to that.

All in all - a good $45 dollar saw
            Attached Files
            Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Can't wait to see the bowl. Wasn't that job supposed to be temporary?
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                Can't wait to see the bowl. Wasn't that job supposed to be temporary?
                Yeah, the job was a seasonal - supposed to last 4-6 months, but things carried on. They needed the help during the holiday season and so on - etc, etc, etc. Now, it's 25 - 30 hours per week - maybe more if someone is on vacation or something. They haven't pissed me off enough to walk on them yet and it's fun dealing with the customers. Now I have people come in looking for me. It's still a hobby job. I figure I'll give it another year. Then I'll be 75 and will make a few decisions. TBH - I'm growing old - I never really grew up

And the bowl is on the lathe - it needs the top rings, but it is taking shape.

Attached Files
                Tony

Comment

The bowl is looking really nice! I still haven't made a segmented bowl, but it is on my list. That is a lot of hours, I don't have enough time to get the fun stuff done as it is. I will say it would be nice to have someone like you in our store, so many are friendly and helpful but just don't have the knowledge base.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                    The bowl is looking really nice! I still haven't made a segmented bowl, but it is on my list. That is a lot of hours, I don't have enough time to get the fun stuff done as it is.
                    Actually, since Jerry Bennett came up with the wedgie sled jig, the time it takes to cut most segments has been reduced (for me anyway) by at least 50%. Complicated feature rings can take time to develop and build, but simple ones can be just as effective.

The feature ring on this one happened because of a mistake (Hey, we don't make mistakes - we make Design Changes). I was cutting some strips of diamonds for feature rings and one just didn't cut correctly, so I used the "half-diamonds" to make this ring.

Google the Wedgie Sled - or search it on Youtube - it's really a good and versatile jig and saves a lot of time.
                    Tony

Comment

Is this the one?

www.segeasy.com/wedgiesledplan1.pdf
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks Scott, all filed away for future reference.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

We never, ever make a mistake. It's a beautiful bowl. Glad you're liking your job. Bruce worked in customer service for 40+ years and has had enough. To say his language is "salty" would be an understatement. He didn't care. He knew his job, kept impeccable records, which got one or two big shots fired, blew up 2 boats, drove a fork lift off a 4' high ramp when something shifted (fork lift and Bruce were ok). In a retail environment, you would probably find a customer or two shoved behind some stacks of wood in the shelving. But, hey, its Bruce. How will you finish it? Bruce uses Bison(?) wax he puts on and buffs on the lathe.
                          Last edited by will8989; 02-21-2021, 12:35 PM.
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
                            Is this the one?

www.segeasy.com/wedgiesledplan1.pdf
                            Yep that's the right website. I got the plans from this site, that I used to base my sled. I built mine from some parts from an Incra Build-it kit -- https://www.instructables.com/Simple...gmented-Bowls/

I tried to upload the PDF file but it's to big.

Betty - I'll be giving it about three coats of gloss poly and then buffing it down with my Beale buffs.
                            Tony

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                              Reply to Wood identification needed
                              by Rolf
                              This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                              Today, 07:38 AM
                            • handibunny
                              Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                              by handibunny
                              I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                              Today, 07:01 AM
                            • handibunny
                              by handibunny
                              If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                              Today, 06:59 AM
                            • dgman
                              by dgman
                              The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                              Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                            • vgraf
                              Wood identification needed
                              by vgraf
                              I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                              Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                            Working...
                            X