Old Tool - Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Tool - Reborn

With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish it off. I started with the router table top. I edged it with some maple and added a miter slot to it. Then I sorta went overboard and upgraded the router motor to a Bosch 1617EVS mounted in a Kreg Max-lift mount.

When I first built it, in a moment of abject stupidity, I mounted the power receptacle inside the router box. You can see, in one of the photos, how sawdust was building up inside the receptacle box – scary.

I had to put the table back together to make the box joints for the cabinet drawers. But you can see the new safety switch and the power receptacle tucked away from sawdust.

Then I finished the cabinet. It's made from sanded pine plywood and trimmed with strips of yellow pine heartwood I cut from a 2X4. The drawers are 1/2” cabinet ply and faced with the best piece of #2 pine I could find at work.

Now I can clean my work bench off and check out the laser burner.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tgiro01; 01-25-2021, 03:27 PM.
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Looks great!

Comment

I really like that. Will have to show it to Bruce.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Tony great Job! I had all good intentions of building a setup like that but got lazy. Lots of storage on yours and the router lift really is a must have in my opinion. It makes setup so much easier.
        What did you use to make your box joints?
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Very nice setup, RJ
          Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

A custom setup always beats a generic mass produced one. It looks like you have everything perfectly suited to you! Awesome.
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              Tony great Job! I had all good intentions of building a setup like that but got lazy. Lots of storage on yours and the router lift really is a must have in my opinion. It makes setup so much easier.
              What did you use to make your box joints?
              Thanks - To make the box joints I used a 1/2" straight bit and my Incra jig. I used the little right angle sled that comes with the Incra fence, but now that I have the miter slot, I'll be getting or building a good coping sled.
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Looks like a great setup Tony.
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

The sled is a great idea, I will have to look at my table top.
                  I now need to build two sleds, one for my table saw and another for my router to make the box joints.
                  Could you post a picture of the sled with the incra jig mounted on it.
                  Last edited by Rolf; 01-29-2021, 09:04 AM.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X