YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router

Do any of you have experience with or know reputability of the YoraHome Laser with CNC Router Engraver? I was checking out Ortur, and Yora kept popping up. Looks like a versatile combo to suppliment scrolling. Just looking for thoughts. https://yorahome.com/collections/cnc...35549063708839
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Hi Linda, great find...I think.

Please keep us up to date with any information you receive. I would really like to get into this, but my computer skills are almost nonexistent, I need something that a 74 year old air head 🙄 can figure out. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
    Rick
    Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

This is only my opinion.

Hi Linda, My first reaction is it looks good, and my new toy craving started to twitch, but I thing it will be very limiting very quickly.

It is a small engraving machine and if that is what you want and need maybe OK. You are limited to 1/8 shank bits, that says a lot to me about the power of the machine. I am and never have been a fan of dual purpose machines, in this case I think you would would have to jump between Easel (carving) and Lightburn (laser) for control software.

If I was in the market for a CNC router I lean towards the Xcarve style that uses real router motors that will take 1/4 bits. and a much more ridged frame structure. Of course it will cost more.

I would watch a lot of the videos and reviews to see if it will do what you want and need.

Rick, so far all of the "semi automated" tools that I own require some level of software comfort. I am on several desk top laser software forums and many folks really struggle with getting their machines to communicate with their computers. That is only part of it. You will also need some level of comfort with graphics programs to create and manipulate the Images or carvings you want to do.

I don't want to discourage anyone but it isn't just plug and play.

Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, that kind of input you have given regarding the machine as well as software is just the insider info we outsiders need from someone we trust. Thank you so much for both the machine and software side.

I hadn't even thought about the comparison to shank bits to the power--but I should have. I have a full size router as well as a Dremel and I fully well realize they do not even come close to doing the same things. But your simplified analogy of "power" to "shank" size is excellent.

On the stand along laser end, I cannot believe how many identical look-alikes there are for Ortur and Yora. It's like a huge clone war!

Comment

I ordered and received the ORTUR Laser Master 2 from Amazon, the but haven't had a chance to even get it out of the box. Too much going
          on right now. I got the 20 watt version, which is supposed to be good for cutting, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that. There will be a learning curve for a bit. I got the lightburn software to work with it.

For me to get into cnc routing now would be just to satisfy an old man's curiosity. Not worth the money.

Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

New toys sometimes become tools we can use, and other times they simply are tools toward expanding our horizons and being there when an idea pops into our heads. Let us know what you try the Ortur on and how it does. I'm sincerely curious. Also....why did you choose Amazon vs the other vendors for Ortur, since Amazon appears to be the most expensive? Reputation of vendor? Like the clone machines, I'm trying to sift thru the vendor options. Thanks.

Comment

Tony have fun, There is a great lightburn forum on face book also for Orture I would assume. What size did you get?

Linda, With the laser engraver I just jumped in and then realized I had bought something that was very limiting and started to research after the fact. I know better, but the laser was relatively inexpensive. I had to replace the controller board so that I could use other other and better software. Had I gone with Orture at that time it already accepted the Generic GRBL control code.

As with any new tool there is a learning aspect that requires homework. The biggest challenge for me is knowing what I want to actually want to do with it. Just like when I got into scrolling, I never anticipated it taking me where it has.

I did a bit more digging last night and Yora does have a collet for 1/4 inch bits but it would be only for small V bits.
              If I understand correctly some of the frame is built with Phenolic.
              If you look at some of the CNC routers they use real beefy routers.
              It will really depend on what you want to do with it.

Regarding vendors, Amazon is normally faster and typically easier for returns.
              But for this stuff I would buy from a US based vendor that provides support. The best way to find those is through the forums.
              for the NEJE lasers I would suggest https://nmclasers.com/
              Rolf

Comment

Linda

I built my own CNC router and used a full size router. Those little machines don't have enough travel in the Z axis for adding the 4th axis fixture. At some point round stock will enter into the equation so you need to have room for the rotary fixture.
                Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Tim, do you have a picture?
                  Rolf

Comment

Here is the thread from when I was building it. I gave up trying to post photos on this forum. After they updated to the new format it no longer automatically resizes photos like it use to, I know I could resize everything on my own but the forum isn't as active as it use to be so why bother.
                    Tim

Comment

I do remember that 2011 Wow, you were gutsy building that then, CNC was just coming into the home environment. Are you still using the one you built?
                      Rolf

Comment

Yes I'm still using the one I built I did some upgrades to it though. I swapped out the pipes for linear motion rails and made the gantry out of aluminum. I guess if I were to upgrade now I would be looking for a full size machine that could do 4x8 sheets of plywood with an automatic tool changer but unfortunately the garage doesn't have the room for that.
                        Tim

Comment

• Rolf
                          Rolf commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Tim that would be a serious endeavor. I am impressed by your technological skills. I had the chance to visit a local staircase and molding making company. They have a massive CNC that they use to cut all of the curved banisters. Amazing stuff.

I have noticed that in all of the Yora router adds they are only routing basswood slab end grain. Not a bit of hard maple in sight?
                        Rolf

Comment

That is a good catch Rolf. By the way Rolf...you mentioned kinda maybe wanting to move over to an Ortur laser sometime.....
                          On their official FaceBook posts today, someone posted that Ortur just announced that in April they will have 40watt to add to the lineup of 7, 15, and 20 watt.

Comment

So far all I have used my small NEJE for is engraving my name on projects and I have done three custom image engravings for people that have recently had their dogs pass. That has been an interesting exercise and learning curve in photo preparation and laser power settings. I just realized I didn't take a picture of the last one. They look terrible when you zoom in but fine in real life.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Rolf; 01-31-2021, 09:15 AM.
                            Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
                              My puffin coming home....
                              by planeur
                              My first creation in intarsia , with a gift from my sister of that little puffin in stained glass. After couple of tests , I created this frame , as in my blue heron, and put the puffin leaving the water and waves, between rocks and with a look to his smiling rock mounster, on a beautiful sunset....
                              Today, 11:16 AM
                            • vgraf
                              Reply to What do you think?
                              by vgraf
                              I have a VacuFlo system for my house. It might have enough suction for a small table saw but not for the large cabinet makers saw like you have.

Like the others have said, your Walvac might work fine for smaller tools, especially for a hand sander.

The VacuFlo actually uses...
                              Today, 02:20 AM
                            • vgraf
                              Reply to My lucky day!
                              by vgraf
                              I got my second shot last week here at the Eisenhower Med Center in Palm Springs. I am 82 and in their system and was contacted by them to come in for my first shot. At the completion of that shot I was given my appt. for the second shot.
                              Like yours Rolf they were really organized both times....
                              Today, 01:56 AM
                            • dgman
                              Reply to Another Mid-Michigan Scroller
                              by dgman
                              Great looking work Jeff! Welcome to the forum from Southern California!
                              Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                            • dgman
                              Reply to My lucky day!
                              by dgman
                              My wife and I got our second shot two weeks ago, we’re done!
                              Yesterday, 11:50 PM
                            Working...
                            X