My turn to buy invest in another toy, uhhh, I mean tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn to buy invest in another toy, uhhh, I mean tool

Following Rolfs example, I'll wait until Thursday when I get it, to post a pic. I will say it will help with the cabinets I'm doing for the house remodel, and useful for other woodworking projects. It will become one of the most expensive tools in my shop, but doesn't cut or sand and not a jig.

Most of my tools, though not cheap, are still considered non-professional, but I think this new tool enters the lower end of what would be considered pro.
    Last edited by hotshot; 11-15-2020, 01:08 AM.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Since I work for a company that builds cabinets - I'm trying to think of your selection.

The only thing I can think of right now is: Foreman Pocket Hole Machine by Kreg

Karl
    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Randy, looking forward to the reveal!. Not my fault this time.!!

Karl, the pocket hole jig is an amazingly simple tool , but gets a workout in my shop a couple of times a year.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The master coin cutter pops his head up to tease us about a new acquisition and then says, "wait until Thursday."
        Well, I didn't have anything else planned.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

The tantalizing tease has curiousity peaked! Can't wait to see!
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by KarlB View Post
            Since I work for a company that builds cabinets - I'm trying to think of your selection.

The only thing I can think of right now is: Foreman Pocket Hole Machine by Kreg

Karl
            Ah, that would have been a good choice also. I went to a trade show many many years ago, and bought a Kreg kit, and have been using that for cabinets and misc other projects ever since. My only challenge with the manual Kreg is that sometimes, when putting the two boards together, the clamp don't hold the two pieces together tight enough, so when I put the screws in, it pulls it slightly "proud". As they say, sanding covers a multitude of sins.

That said, the Kreg is one of the most beloved tools I own, especially for the price. Makes those face frames come together quickly, let alone all the other stuff I find myself using it for.
            Last edited by hotshot; 11-15-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post

My only challenge with the manual Kreg is that sometimes, when putting the two boards together, the clamp don't hold the two pieces together tight enough, so when I put the screws it, it pulls it slightly "proud". As they say, sanding covers a multitude of sins.

When I 'm putting together a pocketed joint I always leave a bit "under proud" - just because of that problem. The joints can usually be micro adjusted by backing off and resetting the screw as you tweak the joint by hand.

Karl
              Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

I added a collection of the dedicated Kreg clamps to keep that from happening. It amazes me how strong the final joint is.

It is weird for me to be on the other side of the tool tease for a change.
                Rolf

Comment

I say it’s a vacuum system, RJ
                  Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by RJweb View Post
                    I say it’s a vacuum system, RJ
                    So close, but the opposite.

Comment

So you bought a compressor, a super quiet California one?
                      Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                        So you bought a compressor, a super quiet California one?
                        Nope, not an air compressor.

I already have a super quiet one. The new series from harbor freight is unbelievably quiet. Was looking at the California one, but the Fortress models were so cheap, and freakily quiet. Mine is one of the earlier small ones, so not big enough to run a . . . . .

------Randy

Note: I'm super surprised, but the California Air products are actually pretty close to price on the smaller units like I have. For the larger units, like the Calif Air 20 gal vs Fortress 27 gallon starts to favor Fortress. Would love to have the 20 or 27 gal as I find myself waiting on the compressor to catch up when using my die grinder and such, but I'm already on the naughty list, so I need to stop looking at these unless one pops up on Facebook Market for super cheap.
                        Last edited by hotshot; 11-19-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Just a heads up for anyone buying a small compressor. I had an issue with My California compressor shortly after I received if It started to smoke, and popped my circuit breaker. Long story shortened, there is a small valve that relieves the pressure on the compressor once the tank is full. That valve had a bit of debris in it, so when the compressor tried to start it couldn't. It now works fine, but I still turn it off or unplug it when I am not using it. This is the compressor that came with my Vortex F5 power carver.
                          Rolf

Comment

I would say you are getting some sort of press, for metal work, RJ
                            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by RJweb View Post
                              I would say you are getting some sort of press, for metal work, RJ
                              I built my own 50 ton press from scrapyard metal, with electric hydraulic pump. So, although not relevant to this forum, if anyone knows about this stuff, I could use some help. Press worked good for a long while, but then got a leak from the pressed fittings on one side of the hose. So to fix this, I bought new 3/8 hose, which seems standard, and one end fits my existing adaptor for the cylinder, however, the end that goes to the pump side is a 1/8 ID (pump is cheap chinese version). I found found adaptors to get from 3/8 male to 1/8 male NPT, but evidently NPT is the wrong threads, so now I'm stuck.

And yes, I have my fingers in a little of everything, like currently doing concrete work to add support under my house for the remodel, so that is a super new thing for me too. Another new cheap tool was a concrete vibrator from Harbor Freight, which is ultra cool and worked freaky good, as slumps turn into liquid and everything flows down level, while air pockets come to the top.
                              Last edited by hotshot; 11-19-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X