Saw won't start! (EX-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw won't start! (EX-16

I have an Excalibur EX-16 that is about ten years old. Recently the saw at times would be slow to start when flipping the switch, and now will only start every 8-10 times (and after waiting up to 10 seconds at that). Thinking it was the switch, I took the top black plastic casing off, and checked it out. Everything looked fine. But it may not be the switch - I know VERY little about the mechanics of the saw. Sometimes the saw arm sticks in the "Up blade position"; though I understand the bearings are self-lubricating (according to the manual). I don't know what to do, but do not want to go through the stress of finding $ for a new saw if it's only a single part or so. HELP!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to call Seyco and ask for Ray.

https://www.seyco.com/
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Don't believe that self lubricating stuff about these saws. I just rebuilt an EX 21 for a friend, every one of the bearings in it were dry the main bearing on the Pitman arm was actually rusty.
      I have the EX-16 as my second saw. Bought it used. I took it apart lubricated every bearing the saw with the exception of the motor.

Unplug the saw.!
      Before you go nuts two things I would do. 1. The end of the motor has a small hole in the middle of it. Put an ordinary screwdriver into the hole turn it the shaft should rotate easily. There are strong magnets in the motor so it will jump a bit. If it is hard to turn then there is a seized bearing.
      2. There is a cover on the opposite side of the motor, remove the three socket head cap screws, they may be very tight. The cap screws are metric.
      This will remove the cover and you can see the pitman arm and you can rotate things from there also.
      The third picture is of the "self lubricating" bearing that was in my friends saw.

Motor end.jpg​​​ cover removed.jpgPitman arm rusty roller bearing.jpg
      Last edited by Rolf; 10-17-2020, 04:47 PM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf! What do you personally use to lube the bearings?

Comment

I used white lithium grease. It was what I had on hand and used it on many other things. I am not sure if that it is the best or not.

Did you try turning it?
          Rolf

Comment

To me since it won't turn on it does not sound like a bearing issue. Are you using a foot switch? If so try it without the foot switch. They have been know to fail. Frankly, I am thinking it is either a motor or speed control issue. Does the problem exist at low speed, mid range and high speed? If you decide to work on the bearings, when I rebuilt a Dewalt many years back I used a synthetic grease. It is available at most hardware store, auto supply and even Walmart in the automotive section.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Scott the reason I suggest checking if the saw is binding. It is a simple check especially with a screw driver in the end of the motor. That is what my friends saw was doing depending on where it stopped and the motor had enough torque to start it again from that position. Obviously if it all turns freely then the next step would be electrical. But at 10 years old based on what I have seen in my short experience with these saws lubrication or lack thereof has been very prominent.
              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X