Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolf
    replied
    Now that I have had the drill press for a few weeks and used it to drill in a variety of materials "at the proper speeds" without belt changes, I am seriously enjoying this machine.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Melanie I understand how being 5' 5" may be a bit of a challenge. At 5' 9.5" (and shrinking) the display is a bit high, but I will get used to it.
    Comparing it to my old Delta, it is a beast. I wanted to move it just a bit, not so easy. But so smooth and quiet!
    I will probably change the chuck at some point as there is a bit of run-out. I swapped it with the Delta chuck to compare it. I am surprised I never realized just how bad the Delta chuck was. It explains why I needed to use smaller drills to sneak up on the precision I needed.
    The nova chuck is much better. At some point I will put an indicator on it to see just how much the run-out actually is.

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Glad you are feeling well enough to get it put together and your nephew was able to be there to help. Look forward to hearing how you like it when you are able to use it. We, like Quartz43, like ours.

Leave a comment:

• Quartz43
    replied
    I still smile every time I use my Nova. You will enjoy it.

I sold my Jet DP on Craigslist very quickly. Only problem was a couple of scammers.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Well I have my drill press assembled and upright. Being that I am not allowed to lift or use my left arm aggressively I first assembled the table mount and rack to the column then slipped it into the head. I then bolted the column to the base. I then attached a comalong to a ceiling raffter.
    I had my nephew here for a safety backup. The comalong was attached to the motor and I slowly raised it until my nephew could easily tilt it upright. His first question was what is wrong with my old one, then I turned it on and he understood.
    What a sweet bit of engineering. Now I just need to sell the old one.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Quartz you are absolutely Correct! I modified my post.

Leave a comment:

• Quartz43
    replied
    Please do not modify the chuck. The spring is a safety device to prevent people from leaving the key in the chuck and turning the drill on.

I bought a $35 keyless chuck on Amazon and it is very good with smooth operation and no run out.

​​​​​​
    Last edited by Quartz43; 08-07-2020, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    We are in pretty good shape with the covid in our area with a few exceptions. They would not take me to the cardiac care unit until I was tested for covid.
    The results were negative.
    Last edited by Rolf; 08-08-2020, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Rolf sorry about the misfortune. No trip to the ER especially in this Covid world is good..

My take on keyed or keyless is I would probably stay with keyed. Age and arthritis in my hands has weaken my grip. My thinking is the key give more leverage to lock it down.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    It is probably one of those mandated safety things to prevent folks from leaving the chuck key in and starting the drill press. As Quartz pointed out to me, and I should know better, having managed a machine shop for many years, it is best to leave the spring alone and go to a keyless chuck.
    I did some measurements and the ceiling height where I will put the drill press is too low to put the head on with it upright. So I will have to put the head on with the press laying down and the raising it. I will probably use a comalong to assist whomever helps me.
    It might be worth sending a suggestion to Tecknatool regarding left and right handed. It would be easy for them to extend the shaft out both sides so you could chose. It would be another sales gimmick for them. As I have never seen a left handed drill press.

Melanie, My journey toward a pacemaker started a few years ago when I passed out once in the middle of a street in front of a restaurant. After a night in the hospital and a total cardiac workup, it was determined to be dehydration. My cardiologist suggested the loop recorder which was installed 6 weeks ago. it discovered what was going on.
    Last edited by Rolf; 08-08-2020, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Ad you got it and got the parts into the basement. Was that what led to the trip to the ER? Have you now gotten your pacemaker? Having helped DH with the one we got, I know it is indeed heavy and a bit of an effort to get it up and over the post. Hopefully you have some good and strong friends who can get that done for you. I used ours the other day to dill some holes and then with a Forster bit to drill several 3/4” holes to make another holder for scroll saw blades in test tubes. It was so quiet. We didn’t get the keyless chuck, hubby said he likes using the key. However, it’s a little different then the one we had on the old drill press, you have to push it in and keep it held as there is a piece that gets pushed in (think like a spring) and if you don’t hold it pushed in, it comes out. Bit of a pain but maybe I will get used to it. I also pointed out that like most things, a drill press is built for right handed people. Since I was drilling a number of holes, and I am shorter (5’ 5”), the handle is on the right and up just a little higher then I would like, combine with being left handed, and it was a little harder to rotate it down and hold it there over and over. I had a step stool I used with the other one we had because it was a tad high for me on its stand. I thought this was a little lower, so didn’t get the stool. Probably will try with stool next time see if better. But definitely a big upgrade from the old one we had. Glad I bought it for our joint anniversary gift. 😉☺️

Leave a comment:

• Jim McDonald
    replied
    Sort of like telling us you're getting something and making US wait!
    Wish I was closer to give you a hand.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    started a topic Nova drill press

Nova drill press

Monday was a busy day, the Nova was delivered without a heads up notification. I managed to get all of the pieces into the basement. I still have to put the head on it.
    I was interrupted by a visit to the ER for my pacemaker. So it will have to sit there for a bit until I get some strong friends to help me as I am not allowed to do something that heavy at the moment.
    Waiting for a toy is bad enough but having it and not being able to assemble it is tough.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X