Nova DVR Drill press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova DVR Drill press?

Does anyone own one of these? I seem to be developing a twitch.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

I don't have one sorry. Can you define twitch? It might help us help you.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
      I don't have one sorry. Can you define twitch? It might help us help you.
      ha ha - I believe the “twitch” Rolf is referring to is that “feeling” that one gets when one has an “itch” to buy a new toy err tool, or other items like a new car, for example. We all know that “twitch” or “itch” is hard to shake once it starts. 😉☺️ Funny he should ask because I was starting to look at them. DH has a really old drill press that has seen its better days. We both use it. The other day he was using it helping me with something and he said “this is the next tool we replace.” I had already been thinking about it because it really does probably need replaced and he has mentioned it before. Our 35th anniversary is next week. his bday is Oct. so was trying to decide whether it should be our “joint anniversary gift” or wait for his birthday or Christmas. So I was looking at this one and it’s “fancy” digital display and such and thus its fancy price. Wondered the same thing as Rolf, if anyone had one, liked it, didn’t. Was it worth that price tag? 🤨🤔🥴
      Melanie from East TN

Comment

That is like the dream drill. Digital Depth measurement, and all kinds of coolness. If you have any $$$ left over, you can buy an automatic down feed drive for it. I do not own any tool that cost anywhere near this, but have been lusting after the stopsaw cabinet saw which exceeds it by quite a bit.
        Last edited by hotshot; 07-20-2020, 02:25 PM.
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Melanie, yes that is that nasty twitch I am getting way too frequently.

I have the Nova DVR wood lathe. It was an upgrade from a very used Jet 12-36 with the Reeves drive speed change. I rebuilt the whole thing, with new pulleys and bearings. Served me well but the low speed was too high. Gave it to my nephew who loves it.
          But the Nova DVR ( I upgraded the electronics last year) is a very different beast. No belts, no vibration, instant or pre-set speeds.
          The drill press uses the same motor with even better electronics. I currently have a nice Delta 16 floor model with three belts and 12 speeds. I always seem to be at the wrong speed, since I work on so many different things. I was going to replace it with a variable speed version.
          HMMMM this is starting to sound like me trying to justify a purchase.

I am thinking about it and have for some time. But we have a couple of other things that we need to take care of first.
          Last edited by Rolf; 07-20-2020, 03:08 PM.
          Rolf

Comment

Chris Marshall did a review of the Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press, dated 11/29/16. It's accessible at woodworkersjournal.com. If you put "Nova Voyager Drill Press" in the search string, it brings up a brief review, and Chris's video.

I considered it, but given that I would then have to keep my Delta for sanding, I couldn't justify two full-sized drill presses in my small shop, and the Nova is too expensive to use for sanding. But it was tempting . . . .
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I understand Rolf. It mainly came into consideration just now in my mind because with the federally approved delay to July 15th for filing tax returns, our accountant had finally gotten them done and for once, instead of owing more $, we are actually going to get a refund. ☺️🥳 that refund would cover the cost to do this “upgrade” with a little left over.

the one we have now, is not a floor model, but a bench top. It is a 12” Delta which has belts and adjustments that I in particular tend not to “adjust” for speeds and such. 😉🥴 the handle to lower and raise the table broke and he has a socket type wrench I think to use to raise it up and down. It sits on a stand he built.

So one thing I was trying to decide is whether I should get the full big floor model, NOVA Voyager 18” DVR Drill Press, or the Nova Viking 16” DVR Benchtop Drill Press. Clearly either would be a major upgrade. 😉☺️ But the 16” benchtop model would save some significant change. 🥴 I use it for the obvious things a scroller would use it for, he does many things in his workshop. He makes furniture and has a lathe he does turnings with among other things. He still works full time and needs his fingers and hands so I insisted a few years ago that he upgrade the table saw to a saw stop. 😁 since he still works, and my kiddos are almost through with college and grad school (at least until my son decides to go to grad school 🤨☺️) we can “afford” to spend the money and since it’s “found” 💰 right now anyway and he’s worth it, I was thinking now was a good time to upgrade.

so any insight or perspective on which way to go is appreciated. I have watched videos on both and both seem good. Is bigger better, more horsepower needed?
              Melanie from East TN

Comment

I have had the Nova Voyager DVR for about two years. It is a great tool and I smile every time I use it. I did replace the Chuck with a keyless one. A couple comments

- Extremely low run out and better than any drill press I have used
                - 6" stroke which makes it very nice
                - low vibration and noise
                - Changing speed is so easy and I change speed on almost every task.
                - the menu screen gives you speed recommendations which are good
                -table moves up and down easily.
                - I really like it with Mac sanders and similar. It is so easy to get the best speed for the task.

What don't I like?

Assembly was not easy. The head is heavy and you need two strong people to put on the post.

Comment

Go for it Rolf---we only live once so why not enjoy a few new toys?!
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Now we are all Twitching
                    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post

ha ha - I believe the “twitch” Rolf is referring to is that “feeling” that one gets when one has an “itch” to buy a new toy err tool, or other items like a new car, for example. We all know that “twitch” or “itch” is hard to shake once it starts. 😉☺️ Funny he should ask because I was starting to look at them. DH has a really old drill press that has seen its better days. We both use it. The other day he was using it helping me with something and he said “this is the next tool we replace.” I had already been thinking about it because it really does probably need replaced and he has mentioned it before. Our 35th anniversary is next week. his bday is Oct. so was trying to decide whether it should be our “joint anniversary gift” or wait for his birthday or Christmas. So I was looking at this one and it’s “fancy” digital display and such and thus its fancy price. Wondered the same thing as Rolf, if anyone had one, liked it, didn’t. Was it worth that price tag? 🤨🤔🥴
                      DUH!!!
                      It is what happens when I do the forums before having enough coffee.....
                      Happy anniversary Melanie. We will be celebrating 46 year on the 27th.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Deciding between the the Viking and the Voyager, for me I would have to go with a floor model, I also want the longer (6") quill travel so that would mean the Voyager. Regarding price tags, is it worth it?

I questioned my purchase of the Super max until it bailed me out on a difficult project that had a deadline, it is now one of my primary tools.Thank you Carole for doing the homework on that tool, as I had never heard of it before you told me about it.

A good drill press, at least in my shop is critical to all of my hobbies. But the bottom line is that all of my tools come from toy money earned by my Scroll saw. Now upgrading to the Hawk G4 26 back in 2005 was a tough decision, that was a huge expenditure for me back then. It almost paid for itself the first Christmas.
                        I am also blessed with a wonderful wife that fully supports my adventures.
                        Rolf

Comment

😂 Scott. I figured you just hadn’t “processed” the twitch fully. Happy Anniversary to you too. Our anniversary is also on the 27th! Clearly late July dates work at least in our cases. 😉😊)

Rolf, that was my leaning, that having that extra distance for travel of the quill was a good thing. Since he is a hobbiest woodworker while he has to continue to work “full time” 🤨 and I have been a hobbiest as well up to this point, the cost doesn’t get paid for through the woodworking (unless you count the money saved on mental health 😉). The good news, is we can though afford to invest in good tools. Figure while he is still working and can afford it now, good to do before he retires ( which cannot be soon enough for him ☺️ but in reality is somewhere between 5-10 years away. 😔). We too invested in a Supermax drum sander back a few years ago and glad we did. Really, at this point, most all of the tools, of which there are many, are upgraded except the drill press. (Well except for the scroll saw, I still “make due with “less” then Rolf’s Hawk. 😉☺️😔)

The difference in the bench top and floor model (besides price which is not insignificant 😉🤨) seemed to be quill travel distance of about 2”, 16” vs 18” depth and horsepower. All of which seemed to me and my limited drill press knowledge, to be good things to go with bigger = better. ☺️ I just didn’t know if this were true in relation to regular usage and “need” for a drill press 🥴. Then, I didn’t know why floor model would be better then bench top in general beyond those things that made it bigger and thus better for those reasons.

Quartz43, thanks for your actual user input and insight. You have no doubt added to the twitch we all seem to be getting. ☺️ We will see who gives into that twitch sooner. I suspect Rolf and I may be leading the way. 🤫

I may need to upgrade my game from hobbiest soon to justify all the toys, err tools. Course, I always blame DH, because he once said to do the job right, you need the right tools.
                          Melanie from East TN

Comment

These are some spoked wheels I made using my Nova Voyager DVR. It required really good accuracy and very low run out to drill the holes for the toothpicks. In addition, using the right speed was critical. I could not have done this with my old Jet drill press.

Comment

I know this may be a bit of heresy, Yes I do love my Hawk and will never give it up. But if I were in the market for a new saw I would have to go with the Pegas. It has all of the capabilities of my Hawk except that the Hawk has a 26 " throat and easier top feeding. The Pegas has the moving arm VS the tilting table of the Hawk. I now have both the Hawk and the 16" EX with Pegas clamps. It is nice to have a backup saw.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by handibunny
                                I hope they appreciated the love and care that went into your beautiful work!
                                Today, 07:47 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by NC Scroller
                                A piece to be cherished.
                                Today, 02:06 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Latest Project
                                by meflick
                                Beautiful piece Fibber and something that will long be treasured. Congratulations to them on 25 years. Hubby and I celebrated 35 last week. We got a new drill press. 😉☺️ (My idea.)...
                                Today, 01:48 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Latest Project
                                by cwmagee
                                My daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 25th Anniversary in June. Since they have the means to acquire anything that they want, I had to find something that was unique. I decided on the Full Moon Night Light by Deb Nicholson feature in Issue #60. Due the Covid19, I finally got an opportunity to...
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Did you know..
                                by will8989
                                Almost over this itchy problem. Just some on my left arm and leg. Caladryl was my friend. I would just dump some on and smear around! Down to my regular daily allergy pill but that helped a lot also. Did have to change my follow up appointment with the eye doctor until middle of August.
                                Today, 11:08 AM
                              Working...
                              X