No announcement yet.

Pegas Fluorescent Magnifier Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Bright? Hmm, wasn't considering one before, now I think I might need this. I looked on Amazon for the brightest lamp light I could find as I need a lot of light for what I do. It was fairly bright, but it quit working.

If you say "This lamp is very bright" people will take that with a grain of salt. If you say "We have complaints that this light is too bright" . . . sold!

Calling now to get mine!

-------Randy
    Last edited by hotshot; 02-22-2020, 10:08 AM.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Regarding too bright, I also need all the help I can get, with cataracts in the right eye which the Dr's are reluctant to operate on since I only have 20/200 in the left eye.
      cwmagee
      aka Fibber
      Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Ok so the new LED light has how many lenses of what diopter in the box? Silly me, but figure of the box says 3 lenses, then there should be three.

bright too bright, all a judgement call, any chance of you downloading the lux meter app
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...meter&hl=en_US

then the rest of us could download it and compare your results to what we presently have.
        Jim
        Texas - The Republic
        With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Thanks Jim I will have to check out that APP
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have tried both, and I find that the LED creates more eyestrain with the light glaring off the white paper pattern. It's less on my Pegas saw because of the black table, but on saws with bright metal tables, it's compounded.

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Perhaps I am missing something. I don't understand why anyone would want a fluorescent light.

I would like to point out that you need to pay close attention to the color temperature of the light. 5500K to 6500K (day Light) will appear much brighter than Soft White (2700K – 3000K) or Cool White (3500K – 4100K) at the same lumens(a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source per unit of time). Daylight (5500K to 6500K) also shows the color correctly. This is important when you are painting or taking photos.

I will not buy ant light that does not have the color temperature and lumens listed on the label. Better lights
              Etsy Shop: OdinsToyFactory
              Pinterest
              Blogger
              Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by BadBob View Post
                Perhaps I am missing something. I don't understand why anyone would want a fluorescent light.

I would like to point out that you need to pay close attention to the color temperature of the light. 5500K to 6500K (day Light) will appear much brighter than Soft White (2700K – 3000K) or Cool White (3500K – 4100K) at the same lumens(a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source per unit of time). Daylight (5500K to 6500K) also shows the color correctly. This is important when you are painting or taking photos.

I will not buy ant light that does not have the color temperature and lumens listed on the label. Better lights
                I can't speak for anyone else, but for me I do not have the budget to buy the latest and greatest when it comes out. Fluorescent was the standard for mag lights, and when you have one, you use it.

Now if there was a store where you could turn them on side by side, that might push me to push the budget and get one. From what I read in these different forums, people spend the bucks for the JGR light simply because they are able to use them first.

And it is not just the light source you have to deal with, the clarity of the lens is critical too.
                Jim
                Texas - The Republic
                With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

I am with BadBob regarding the color of the light. Obviously the quality of the lens is foremost, that is where the cost is. My very old fluorescent has an excellent lens but the light had the blue white color and the old ballast caused it to to have a high frequency flicker. So LED for me.
                  Bob I have no glare guess how my magnifier is angled may help that.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

So I think I'm the first to bite and buy the LED version of this, and here are my initial impressions:

Packing was good, everything came assembled, so there were zero bolts and screws. The base is separate, but you just drop the light into the base with zero fuss. It takes longer to take the plastic off the light, than it does to set it up.

The light felt pretty sturdy, so I'm happy with the apparent build quality. Only time will tell if it lasts. I was very happy with the lens, and the lens is better than what I have used before. I'm not a lens expert, so not sure how to rate it, but I can say, it is better than I expected.

Amount of light is ample, but not excessive in my opinion. I kind of assumed by the feedback it might be brighter than it is, and when I first turned it on, I was actually a little concerned that is wasn't bright enough, however, I loaded up a piece with pattern and the view of the work piece seems very workable/clear to me. If I were to have received this light as a gift with no pre-conceived notion, the brightness of the light would not have stood out, let alone been a negative to me. Everyone is different, so if you buy it and it burns out your eyes, don't come back to me on this, but from my perspective, the brightness is what I would have expected. I've not used it for hours on end, and am getting to the age I can't work that long anyway, so I can not really speak to how it might cause eye strain over a long span of time.

I've used the floor models prior to this because I didn't want the light to move with the saw, but this model seems pretty stable to me with the saw running (but I wasn't actually cutting). If it ends up shaking, I'll just attach it to the table next to the saw. I'm using the Green Ex, so it is pretty vibration free, so your mileage may vary.

Bob, I would suggest two things . . . . . . brace yourself:

1. Bob, if you designed the artwork on the box, please skip this and go directly to number 2 . . . . . The color/image/design on the box undersells the light. My first impression was that it looks like something I would see at Harbor Freight, and this product is better than that. Get your artsy friends at Fox Chapel to design something worthy of the product contained within. Everyone has different tastes, but to me, the box looks like it would contain something cheap.

2. The prior led light I was using had two brightness settings. If folks are complaining, then give them the option of either setting. Then you keep people like me happy, and tone it down a little for those that want less. Since the brightness already fits my preference, I wouldn't actually use that.
                    Last edited by hotshot; 02-25-2020, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the review, Randy. I just set up the fluorescent on the Pegas saw and maybe a review coming on that one.
                      Denny
                      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phQdAF-sf9M

for those that want a peek

Comment

No, the artwork was designed before I joined the company. I'm working on new artwork.

I'll see if we can source LED lights with two light settings.

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X