Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skynet1999
    replied
    Just picked up the saw, now for the long 2.5hr trek back home. Picked up a guy on the way walking in the freezing cold trying to get to rehab to turn his life around, got there and checked in before I headed back on my way so it was kind of an adventure. Yes I understand the risk, I feel it is necessary to be the servant of all and Jesus certainly put his own safety at risk as did the disciple to serve and love their neighbor so please refrain from commenting on that unless it is to celebrate somebody being willing to walk 30 miles in the freezing cold to make a change in their life for the better. Plus I am well armed peace loving Missourian, and we have plenty of personal protection. I got to tell you guys I know some of you with wisdom and experience said hey the tension levers at the back, hey you got to use pulleys to change the speed. well the tension lever is about 10 times better than the one I have now ;my current saw isna single speed supand arethe pulleys are easy and she has added the foot pedal so that I have variable speed control without messing with the pulleys It is also a foot pedal made by RBI so it's not going to harm the machine. the saw looks great even all the rubber is in good condition the blower system still works which is impressive for a song from 1994 and the price seems fair at $150. I came with about a hundred blades, a whole box of spare parts and put it in spare blade holders and a whole box of the Allen screws that go into the blade holders in case they wear out. As well as six pattern books which I I realize aren't that expensive but it was just a nice little bonus. I grabbed a scrap 2x4 a.d cut some turns with a bent blade no problem. So it will certainly be fine cutting my wood at home. So far I am thrilled, especially considering the other options that were under $200 where a grizzly c-arm machine several other CR machines and a bunch of crappy old 16in Craftsman's from the 90s or modern low end machines. but honestly I'm excited that I finally have a saw worthy of putting in my little signature instead of my junkie Ryobi.
    i had a guy offer me a 10 month old DeWalt for $300 and I understand it has more bells and whistles but I would rather have this American made commercial grade machine. Thanks again for sharing all your wisdom, you guys are a true blessing to novices trying to learn.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    YEA! As Scott said keep us posted and we do love pictures of projects etc.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by Skynet1999 View Post
    Ok, I have decided to buy a hawk 220-3, asking price is $150. Lady used it as a hobby saw on weekends, original owner. Going to pick it up tomorrow, they have added the foot pedal. I understand some of the points raised, but it is a hawk that I can afford. I really want a hawk/henger type of saw and this one is the only one in driving distance for a price that is right for me
    I have contacted bushton and all the major parts are available and the most expensive one is $117. Bushton has developed replacement blade holders and they are only $20 each. Not bad considering a lot of others are $70. I am pumped to move from my 30 yr old 15" single speed pin blade only to a 22" commercial grade saw. Thanks to everyone who has helped me especially Rolf and hotshot for the many comments on multiple threads, you guys are the best and I see you all over the the internet helping people.
    Good luck. You will have to keep us posted on your progress and how you like the saw.

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    Ok, I have decided to buy a hawk 220-3, asking price is $150. Lady used it as a hobby saw on weekends, original owner. Going to pick it up tomorrow, they have added the foot pedal. I understand some of the points raised, but it is a hawk that I can afford. I really want a hawk/henger type of saw and this one is the only one in driving distance for a price that is right for me
    I have contacted bushton and all the major parts are available and the most expensive one is $117. Bushton has developed replacement blade holders and they are only $20 each. Not bad considering a lot of others are $70. I am pumped to move from my 30 yr old 15" single speed pin blade only to a 22" commercial grade saw. Thanks to everyone who has helped me especially Rolf and hotshot for the many comments on multiple threads, you guys are the best and I see you all over the the internet helping people.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Make sure you test drive whatever saw you get. Bring some blades and one of your typical projects and cut. If a variable speed cut not just run it at night medium and low speeds.

One more source to check is your local pawn shops.

Good luck and be patient. The right deal with come along.

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    Ok so I found a hawk 220-3 in Illinois for $125, called the fine folks at bushton to see if blade holder upgrades were available, they are and are only $19 each! . the guy took the time not only to tell me about that but he also looked at the three Hawks online I was considering to judge and assess the state they were in and how much they had probably been used. luckily for me he told me that the one for $125 looks barely used and that just the casters that were on it where was seventy-five bucks. That's amazing customer service that he would be willing to sit there and go to all the sites and look at all the saws I was looking at. I realize it's an older model but it's also $125 and all the newer models are found are four to five hundred bucks and I just simply don't have that much money to spend. So I emailed the guy and can hopefully find a way to get my hands on it sadly it's 6 hours away from me. I also found a Hegner that's within driving distance for $230 but it's so old the label says made in West Germany. Being an 18" it's a little bit smaller a little bit older and a little bit more money. So I'm going to try to get the hawk if that doesn't work out maybe I'll spring for the hegner. Thank you everybody for all your advice

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I would check it out. Some issues with the Dewalts are dust in the power switch. So a foot switch is recommended. Do a little searching on this forum for Dewalt just so you have an idea. I will also send you a PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    There is also a guy in a scroll saw group on Facebook I'm a part of that has a slightly used DeWalt that comes with the light and the stand for $300

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    In terms of recommendations consider this, my current super old delta has attention adjuster in the back and I have to fully unscrew it and re-screw it every time so having a hawk flip down knob that I don’t have to reset each time all the way it’s going to be a big improvement. Also my current song does not have a flip a in terms of recommendations consider this, my current super old Delta has a tension adjuster in the back and I have to fully unscrew it and re-screw it every time so having a hawk flip down knob that I don’t have to reset each time all the way that’s going to be a big improvement. Also my current saw does not have a flip Up head, And is only one speed so in light of that which one of these Including the hawkJunior would you recommend? How difficult is it to change the belts to adjust the speed on the hot to 220-3? Also on a different note my Apple iPad voice typing does not like the words hawk or saw as I have to go back and edit each one each time,lol

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    First off let me apologize as I’m using voice type and there may be some slight typos or lack of punctuation . Thanks again Rolf for being so helpful, I understand each of them have drawbacks but I guess my question is for someone in my position who will not be able to afford one that has every feature I like, which one is the best to get in terms of performance, durability; just trying to find a high-level Machine I can afford as opposed to my $50 craigslist specials that I’ve had thus far . To be honest every saw I’ve had has tension in the back is it ideal? no but I’m used to it and if that’s the only drawback in order to move to a higher level machine that’s acceptable to me . In terms of that hawk it’s only $125, I realize that you probably have these machines like that is there is something to be leery of it about? Surely even a mid range HAwk is better than all the Craftsmans and Ryobi’s, hf, wens, In terms of quality. it’s $125, I realize that you probably have used machines like that is there something to be leery about? Surely even a mid range hawk is better than all the Craftsmans and Ryobi, other Base level size that cost that much. I’ve only ever use the bottom of the barrel beginner sauce so for me chances are it’s still feel like an upgrade. So I guess my next question would be if I buy a hawk or the hanger am I going to need to put new parts on it? Or is that more of a convenience feature? So of all the ones I’ve posted which one do you think would be my best bet? The hawk Junior? It is in fact a Bushton model so they do currently support it From the info I could find online

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    OK That Hawk is an older model and to change the blade tension or change the blade you have to do it at the back of the saw., let me tell you that gets old real fast. And it probably has the old Barrel clamp on the bottom. Definitely a pre 2005 saw.
    The Jet is a rusty mess and I wouldn't offer $25.
    The Rockwell has a spring in that upper cylinder that keeps tension on the blade, a true vertical stroke but the upper arm does not move and will make Fretwork difficult.

The Hegner also has a rear tension release but that can be changed down the road. Parts not cheap.

Others should chime in hear.

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    Ok I have found a few more contenders. The lower prices ones are more realistic for me.

hawk 220 for $125 I have requested more info
    https://www.shoppok.com/rockford/a,4...5--Roscoe-.htm

Rockwe 40-440 USA made for $200
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockwell-24...-/233351678241

Saw a henger on OfferUp, offered $300 for it.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/723884857/

And of course the jet that started this thread, though it is pretty Rusty jss-26 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9765801026176/

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    Even the $300 is a stretch for me right now, I will have to borrow some money to buy that one so I definitely cannot spend more than that at this time in my life. I have 3 young kids and am partilly disabled and haven't been to work in 3.5 months. So I am trying to work with my limited funds.

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    I live in Springfield mo near Branson mo, I just watched some videos on the bushton website of them demonstrating the saws that they have come out with and the saw in the video also had the support arm on only one side like you mentioned. The junior is one of the models they came out with. No I have not searched for a club in my area. I know about 7 dudes who are scrollers from my club. It is primarily a hand tools club.
    Southern Missouri wood carving artists

Leave a comment:

• Skynet1999
    replied
    It is 1hr 40min away. I will contact bushton about it, the fact that it looks pristine is promising.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
    Reply to A discussion about wood thickness.
    by NC Scroller
    As Jim said it is project specific. Normally I prefer thicker before I like the extra depth. Thicker is less prone to breakage. The only real advantage to thinner is allows for stack cutting.

Now from perspective of using what an author says in an article I normally use what I have...
    Today, 05:02 PM
  • Jim McDonald
    Reply to Latest Project
    by Jim McDonald
    Really neat piece. Hope you signed and dated it.
    I have a table my grandfather made as a school woodshop project--according to family lore--and I wish there was something from him on the table.
    Today, 04:59 PM
  • Jim McDonald
    Reply to Nova drill press
    by Jim McDonald
    Sort of like telling us you're getting something and making US wait!
    Wish I was closer to give you a hand.
    Today, 04:56 PM
  • Jim McDonald
    Reply to Medical heads up about a loop implant.
    by Jim McDonald
    Really glad to hear you got your "jumper cables" installed. Your cardiologist sounds like a great physician.
    Do what he says for a while. That storm mess will still be there.
    Today, 04:54 PM
  • Jim McDonald
    Reply to A discussion about wood thickness.
    by Jim McDonald
    It would depend on the project. I have laminated at times to add thickness and I have scaled patterns to fig a piece of stock, but going from a prescribed thick stock to thinner (on hand wood) has never slowed me down.
    Sometimes i have a piece of wood that works perfectly around knots or live...
    Today, 04:49 PM
Working...
X