Older Jet 26" from 80's-90s advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Jet 26" from 80's-90s advice

I currently own a Delta 40-150 scroll saw from the 80's I believe. It is a great little workhorse. I cut 1" cedar on it almost daily, however it is some speed, is missing the pinless blade holders, and is a 15". I often have customers request 20" or larger pieces and this of course causes obvious problems. I do not have the money to buy a new DeWalt, jet, etc. Locally there is a guy selling a Jet 26" Jss-26 scroll saw but I am having a hard time finding any info on this saw or any jet saws from this era. He's asking 125 for it which I would certainly talk him down on price to $75 max. Two and a half hours away from me there is a person selling a hawk RBI to 220 - 3 for $200.
    Does does anyone have any info on the jet and or which one do you think I should buy?

I also power carve and just bought a brand new Mastercarver benchtop ultra kit ($299)
    Or should I just go buy a wen? What I really want is a DeWalt but that's going to be a ways down the road and many sales away and is not a viable option at the moment.
    Last edited by Skynet1999; 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with either saw. Both are very old so my concern would be parts should you have an issue down the road. Make sure you check craigslist in your town and also within a 100 miles. Good deals do pop up if you are will to wait. Good Luck on you search.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Yes I'm definitely on every form of place that sells used tools constantly looking for a good deal on a bigger saw.I have googled and researched at least 20 that have been posted in my area. Currently there is a Craftsman that looks just different than all the others I've seen so I'm also trying to get the model number because for some reason people on Facebook and Craigslist will put up a tool and just say scroll saw for sale. as if someone will buy a tool without knowing what model it is or what brand it is.
      I love you tag line "Creator of fine b designer saw dust"
      II had always gotten the impression from various forms that Hawks were supposed to be almost legendary saws and then after I found that one I did some more googling and found lots of people advising against certain Hawks. or perhaps I was getting hawks and hengers all mixed together in my mind from Reading just so so so much ion so many forums all the same time

Comment

Hegner saw are built like a Sherman tank. There are many 30 + years saws out there running strong and most parts are available. Hawks are good and well made too but the company that makes them now does it as a part time business and parts are very iffy.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I responded to you PM before reading this, so disregard some of my comments. When buying an older Hawk they made some significant design changes around 2005 so I would not buy one older than that. The clamp access on the bottom is up front, no need to reach around any thing. Easy top feeding etc. The link to the second saw made in 2010 looks to be almost brand new. You could always offer less but the price is not bad. Scott I am not sure that the Hawk parts are iffy but they do have a small staff and can be hard to get a hold of at times.

I just saw the image of the first saw, It is hard to tell much with th power cord hanging over the upper clamp mechanism. Do you have a better picture from her?
          Last edited by Rolf; 02-15-2020, 09:53 AM.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

No sadly I don't have a better picture. It is a 220-3 and from other info iton on the forums I found most people don't recommend it. The other $300 I pm'ed you about is the one I got my eye on now. It is newer, very well cared for., I could hear the pride in the voice of the owners wife in how he meticulously cared for his tools and only used to that one to do demonstrations at craft shows. Here is the challenge I am facing with my current small 15 inch Delta.
            here is the saw I am thinking of buying $300 obo it is a hawk 220 vs 18" jr.
            Screenshot_20200215-131147_Facebook.jpg comes with custom built table and light as depicted along with free wood Screenshot_20200215-131147_Facebook.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

This is not a Hawk saw that that I have seen before. I know that the folks that bought the Hawk brand were developing a new saw early on, I wonder if it is one of those. Personally I would be leery of this one. If possible contact Bushton about this saw, send them this picture.Make sure they have pats to support it. All of the Hawk saw's that I have ever seen, or used, have a frame on each side of the upper arm, this one is like the Hegner supported on only one side. It does look pristine. Are you close enough to try it out?

Have any of you guys ever seen this Hawk model before?

It looks like you are doing some large projects and definitely need a saw with a larger throat.
              Where do you live? so maybe we can help you with your search.

Have you searched for a club in your area?
              Last edited by Rolf; 02-15-2020, 03:18 PM.
              Rolf

Comment

It is 1hr 40min away. I will contact bushton about it, the fact that it looks pristine is promising.

Comment

I live in Springfield mo near Branson mo, I just watched some videos on the bushton website of them demonstrating the saws that they have come out with and the saw in the video also had the support arm on only one side like you mentioned. The junior is one of the models they came out with. No I have not searched for a club in my area. I know about 7 dudes who are scrollers from my club. It is primarily a hand tools club.
                  Southern Missouri wood carving artists

Comment

Even the $300 is a stretch for me right now, I will have to borrow some money to buy that one so I definitely cannot spend more than that at this time in my life. I have 3 young kids and am partilly disabled and haven't been to work in 3.5 months. So I am trying to work with my limited funds.

Comment

Ok I have found a few more contenders. The lower prices ones are more realistic for me.

hawk 220 for $125 I have requested more info
                      https://www.shoppok.com/rockford/a,4...5--Roscoe-.htm

Rockwe 40-440 USA made for $200
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockwell-24...-/233351678241

Saw a henger on OfferUp, offered $300 for it.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/723884857/

And of course the jet that started this thread, though it is pretty Rusty jss-26 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9765801026176/

Comment

OK That Hawk is an older model and to change the blade tension or change the blade you have to do it at the back of the saw., let me tell you that gets old real fast. And it probably has the old Barrel clamp on the bottom. Definitely a pre 2005 saw.
                        The Jet is a rusty mess and I wouldn't offer $25.
                        The Rockwell has a spring in that upper cylinder that keeps tension on the blade, a true vertical stroke but the upper arm does not move and will make Fretwork difficult.

The Hegner also has a rear tension release but that can be changed down the road. Parts not cheap.

Others should chime in hear.
                        Rolf

Comment

First off let me apologize as I’m using voice type and there may be some slight typos or lack of punctuation . Thanks again Rolf for being so helpful, I understand each of them have drawbacks but I guess my question is for someone in my position who will not be able to afford one that has every feature I like, which one is the best to get in terms of performance, durability; just trying to find a high-level Machine I can afford as opposed to my $50 craigslist specials that I’ve had thus far . To be honest every saw I’ve had has tension in the back is it ideal? no but I’m used to it and if that’s the only drawback in order to move to a higher level machine that’s acceptable to me . In terms of that hawk it’s only $125, I realize that you probably have these machines like that is there is something to be leery of it about? Surely even a mid range HAwk is better than all the Craftsmans and Ryobi’s, hf, wens, In terms of quality. it’s $125, I realize that you probably have used machines like that is there something to be leery about? Surely even a mid range hawk is better than all the Craftsmans and Ryobi, other Base level size that cost that much. I’ve only ever use the bottom of the barrel beginner sauce so for me chances are it’s still feel like an upgrade. So I guess my next question would be if I buy a hawk or the hanger am I going to need to put new parts on it? Or is that more of a convenience feature? So of all the ones I’ve posted which one do you think would be my best bet? The hawk Junior? It is in fact a Bushton model so they do currently support it From the info I could find online

Comment

In terms of recommendations consider this, my current super old delta has attention adjuster in the back and I have to fully unscrew it and re-screw it every time so having a hawk flip down knob that I don’t have to reset each time all the way it’s going to be a big improvement. Also my current song does not have a flip a in terms of recommendations consider this, my current super old Delta has a tension adjuster in the back and I have to fully unscrew it and re-screw it every time so having a hawk flip down knob that I don’t have to reset each time all the way that’s going to be a big improvement. Also my current saw does not have a flip Up head, And is only one speed so in light of that which one of these Including the hawkJunior would you recommend? How difficult is it to change the belts to adjust the speed on the hot to 220-3? Also on a different note my Apple iPad voice typing does not like the words hawk or saw as I have to go back and edit each one each time,lol

Comment

There is also a guy in a scroll saw group on Facebook I'm a part of that has a slightly used DeWalt that comes with the light and the stand for $300

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X