Pegas saw has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegas saw has arrived

Well, UPS dropped off the saw yesterday afternoon. I want to thank Denny for all the help he gave me over the phone yesterday. I would probably still be standing here scratching my head. And even though it seemed like it took forever for me to put the stand together. It is together and the saw is on the stand. I'm short two nuts to fasten the saw to the stand but they're probably laying somewhere on the floor in my basement. Still it's not a big deal I should have the same size nuts out in the garage. I still have to adjust the head so it stays up but Denny told me how to deal with that, plus I know it was talked about in a post here on the forum.

I am curious about one thing though. I couldn't thread the blade thru the top. The blade would go through the drilled hole of the project but would not go past the table and down to the bottom clamp. I could feel some form of resistance when I tried to push it thru the blade slot in the table. I see there is (for lack of a better word) a plastic covering under the table. I'm guessing this covering is there so the vacuum can pull the dust down and out. Am I not going to be able to top feed the blade or is this a bottom feed saw?

Dan

Poke blade through the plastic membrane, you should be OK, That membrane is almost useless. It does not last very long. Most users remove and install a vacuum line to collect the dust.
    cwmagee
    aka Fibber
    Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

I am not being a wise guy, but but did it come with a manual? Being German makes me read the entire manual for whatever I buy. Did the saw have a blade in it when it arrived? If so then there will already be a hole in that membrane. when you top feed the blade it must go through the wood, center hole in the table and the small hole in the membrane. which I would imagine will get enlarged over time.
      I do not have a Pegas saw but I do have a 16" EX that "had" the membrane. I took it all off as I have a different dust collector setup.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Just like Fibber stats, unless you plan on connecting vacuum to the saw, remove the plastic. When we talkd, I should have mentioned that as well.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Despite our experience, every new tool has a learning curve and a few nuances. Have fun and enjoy your new tool !!!
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Rolf you sound like Bruce. He always asks me when I have a question about something. Did you read the directions. That’s why they print them.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Yes, it did come with a manual but it is very general in its descriptions. Just like the directions for the stand. It was basically just a picture of two stands. A small stand and a large stand. But all is well. I did as first suggested and just poked the blade thru the membrane. I have the table leveled and the blade squared. It did have a blade in the saw when I unpacked it but while talking with Denny I discovered the blade was all ready broke.I don't have a vacuum set up to be used with the saw so I may just take the port off as suggested in the manual.

I have noticed that there is a slight left and right motion to the upper arm. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. My last thing to do is adjust the arm so it stays up and both Denny and the manual describe how to do that

I did use it earlier today to finish two jobs that have been sitting there for a while

There is one piece that I have not been able to identify yet. It is a knob similar to the one that holds the blade in the clamp. There is a second piece that is threaded into the knob. The second piece is six sided and has a hole thru it with a threaded shaft on one end. The threaded end is about a half inch long. I can't find any reference to it in the manual. So I'm not sure what that is for or what the purpose of it is.

But no matter what I'm still happy with the saw. You wouldn't believe how much of an improvement it is over my Delta

Dan

Comment

Can you post a picture of the extra piece.

How exciting to get a new saw! I look forward to seeing lots of project pictures.
                Last edited by Rolf; 02-01-2020, 02:07 PM.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

This is to adjust the depth of the screw to secure the blade, you loosen the nut and with a screwdriver you move the bolt in or out until it is flush with the bracket. The blades will slip right in then.

Comment

Dan, the unidentified knob that looks like the clamp knob? Only other knob I know would be the knob that tightens in the Hold down, which most people discard.
                    Last edited by hotshot; 02-01-2020, 05:27 PM.
                    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Ok, for some reason I cannot post a new topic. So I'm going to try it this way. If this doesn't work I do have artcrafters phone number.

I noticed last weekend that the blade on the Pegas was no longer centered in the table hole. When ever I tensioned the blade it was off center. Mostly to the left of the center of the table hole. I reset the saw head at zero which did put the blade back into the center of the hole. However, any of the pieces I cut would only drop out from the bottom, they would not come out from the top of the project I was cutting. So I kept moving the head until the pieces I cut would fall out from either the top or the bottom. And according to the dial under the table I was no longer on zero and this put the blade to the left of the tables blade hole again.

I doubt if this is a big deal but I don't understand why this is now like this,

I would like to know if this is a big deal or if I can just keep cutting as long as the blade does not run into the edge of the hole and gouge into the metal table

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan A View Post
                        Ok, for some reason I cannot post a new topic. So I'm going to try it this way. If this doesn't work I do have artcrafters phone number.

I noticed last weekend that the blade on the Pegas was no longer centered in the table hole. When ever I tensioned the blade it was off center. Mostly to the left of the center of the table hole. I reset the saw head at zero which did put the blade back into the center of the hole. However, any of the pieces I cut would only drop out from the bottom, they would not come out from the top of the project I was cutting. So I kept moving the head until the pieces I cut would fall out from either the top or the bottom. And according to the dial under the table I was no longer on zero and this put the blade to the left of the tables blade hole again.

I doubt if this is a big deal but I don't understand why this is now like this,

I would like to know if this is a big deal or if I can just keep cutting as long as the blade does not run into the edge of the hole and gouge into the metal table

Dan
                        Dan was the table tilt knob tight?
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Dan, when the saw is locked into the zero position, check whether the blade and saw table are perpendicular. Then, find the position of the arm where the piece sides out from either side and check whether the blade and saw table are perpendicular. The best tool for this is a 2” engineer’s square. Then check back with your results.
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok, finally was able to work on the saw. Thank you Carole, NC Scroller and Denny. The blade is centered, and I'm close enough to zero on the table that I can live with it. I ended up calling Denny on Friday because I kept finding loose bolts and nuts on things that I didn't know what they were. So my inner voice is asking me "Do I tighten this real tight or only slightly?" "What exactly is this and why are the bolts loose?"

Unfortunately that is as far as I got on Friday. As we all know, life can sneak up behind you and get your attention. Our refrigerator decided it was time to die in the middle of the night and my sons pickup decided that it no longer wanted to go in reverse. So we spent last Saturday where my son goes to college, looking at vehicles and refrigerators and stoves. I didn't know we were going to get a stove but according to my wife it was only logical that if we get a refrigerator we better get a stove that matches.''

I think I did finally get it across to my son that what he wants for a new and/or different vehicle and what he was going to get with his parents help were going to be two different things.

Sadly we didn't find any appliances that my wife was happy with. At least the old Whirlpool fridge downstairs is still working. Glenda got it from her mom and dad when when she moved out. It has all ready outlasted two refrigerators.

Dan

Comment

Before you worry about the table being 90* with the blade, make sure the upper and lower clamps are plumb, see the attachment. Once you have them plumb, then center the table hole around the blade, then set the 90* relationship of the blade to the table top.
                              Attached Files
                              Jim
                              Texas - The Republic
                              With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X