orbital sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orbital sander

does everybody need a orbital sander just what does it do what type is the best

If you are talking about a random orbital sander, I would not be without one! Every project I make gets sanded by my RO sander. i always sand my wood blanks before I cut. That way I only have to touch up the project after it’s cut. Even Baltic birch plywood gets sanded with 320 grit before it gets cut.
    the advantage of a RO sander is it does no leave sanding marks in the wood so it does no matter which direction you sand.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Love my ROS. 99.9% of my stuff gets hit with the sander. I have a 8 hole Skil with an attached filter housing, which traps a tremendous amount of particulates.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I wouldn't be without mine. It is the finishing sanding before finishing. I also use my flap sander with almost every project that I do. Especially puzzles to get the sharpness off the edges. We have alot of rigid tools. If you buy them at Home Depot you can get a lifetime warranty on them. Batteries included. Everytime a battery can't be charged, Bruce takes it back, we live close to a repair place, and gets another one. Or if you have to mail it in, they pay shipping one way.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I agree with those above. ROS gives great finish in efficient manner without being too aggressive. Brand---I have a cheap Black & Decker as well as a Ryobi. No preference and both work well.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have the 5 inch Dewalt ROS . I also have the Rockler Dust Right Flexiport connected to a old shop vac. Great when doing a lot of sanding.

If I had lots of money I would look at a Festool sander and vac. A friend has one and it leaves no dust behind.

Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I also have the DeWalt ROS with the Rockler hose attachment to my shop vac. I sand almost everything, (usually to 220 grit) before I cut with the scroll saw.
              The ROS is fast and I rarely use my Makita vibrating sander anymore. If doing 3-d cutting like in making ornaments, sanding first is not needed because the outside wood is cut away as scrap.

Comment

Agree with the thoughts already expressed. A random orbit sander is about as much a necessity for woodworking as anything else is, IMHO. I have a Rigid and a Milwaukee in the 5" diameter. I have a Rigid 6" for larger projects. One of the main reasons I bought these brands is that they connect directly to my shop vac, without any special adapters. I also like variable speed. I don't use it often, but it comes in handy. I turn the speed down when sanding veneered plywood to help prevent sanding through the veneer.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I also think a RO sander is a workshop must. A couple of years ago Festool had a $99 deal on one of their sanders, I asked Santa for one of those. I think a few of our forum members got lucky and managed to get one of those. Of course at that price they were immediately unavailable. So Santa put a ETS EC 125/EQ under the tree instead. That year I also bought a Festool MIDI vac to connect to it. There is no vibration, almost no dust. I had been using a Ryoby 5 inch that I got at a yard sale for $5 for many years and it made my hand numb.

I would only buy one that you could connect a vacuum to, the catch bags can only do so much in collecting the very fine dust.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I attach mine also to the vacuum. When the weather is cooperative, about 8 months out f the year, I save all my sanding and do at one time once a week outside. I get fresh air and vitamin D as a side benefit. When Bruce put siding on the house years ago, my brother in law put double outlets on each side of the house. I also do my flap sanding outside.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Hi Rolf, I'm one of the lucky forum members who got a Festool for $99.00. I had to wait almost 5 months for it because they claimed that the reponse was much greater than was expected. I soooo glad I waited. Based on the sander, I'm sure all Festool products are top notch...but I would never pay their insane prices for my hobby work.
                      Rick
                      Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

I have a Festool sander but I paid the $200 before there famous "deal". It is a good sander. I like it because it is light weight. I have since purchased a Makita sander and , although it is heaver, it has a MUCH broader speed range. It will run faster and slower than the Festool. I recommend the Makita!
                        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

This thread is absolutely great.....we all seem to agree wholeheartedly on this tool's value but can also happily express an awesome array of experiences.
                          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X