Compressor failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor failure

Last Christmas my wife (AKA Santa) bought me the Vortex F5 high speed carving tool, it came with a California super quiet air compressor. The compressor went up in smoke the other night, of course it only had a one year warranty. I am waiting for a response from the manufacturer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The owner of the company that sold the Vortex responded immediately, well see if the Air compressor company does the same.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

I am beginning to wonder if manufacturers are installing some ingeniously devious chip inside that they somehow program the device to fail right after the warranty runs out. It just seems odd how often this happens! Keep us posted Rolf.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Compressor update!!!!

It is running fine. The motor did smell and I did see a wisp of smoke. But it was not because of a motor failure.
      I did some diagnostics and without going into a lot of detail. The motor stalled causing it to overheat because of a small compressor relief valve that was not working.
      When the compressor reaches its set point and shuts off this small valve is supposed to open and relieve the pressure in the compressor itself. If it doesn't the compressor will stall and overheat.
      I suspect there was a bit of contamination or something in the valve.

I will now shut off my compressor when not in use.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank you for sharing Rolf. What you've described might help troubleshoot other tools/equipment too.
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
          A discussion about wood thickness.
          by Rolf
          If a project in the magazine specifies say 1/2 inch or thinner woods, would you build it as designed? Or would you modify to suite the wood thickness that you may have on hand?
          I am talking about projects where the thickness is more for aesthetics than functionality.

I look for proportion...
          Today, 04:16 PM
        • Quartz43
          Reply to Medical heads up about a loop implant.
          by Quartz43
          Glad to hear things are going in the right direction. The implantable devices are amazing these days. I have a spinal cord stimulator in my back and has been a help.
          Today, 04:04 PM
        • Rolf
          Nova drill press
          by Rolf
          Monday was a busy day, the Nova was delivered without a heads up notification. I managed to get all of the pieces into the basement. I still have to put the head on it.
          I was interrupted by a visit to the ER for my pacemaker. So it will have to sit there for a bit until I get some strong friends...
          Today, 03:58 PM
        • Quartz43
          Reply to Christmas house
          by Quartz43
          Really well done!
          Today, 03:54 PM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Latest Project
          by Rolf
          Nice! I hope she liked it...
          Today, 03:48 PM
        Working...