My fourth scroll saw in my shop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fourth scroll saw in my shop.

I could not pass up the chance to buy a used Hawk G4 26 off of criegs list. It is about a 2006 and has seen lots of use but seems to cut well. I paid $250 for it. Came with extra blade clamps, a light, and a stand. I now have two Hegners and a Jet but this Hawk is the only one with speed control. All my others are single speed motors. I have not figured out how to get enough tension on the blade I want but tomorrow I will work on that.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Congrats on the new arrival. But the Jet makes only one scroll saw, and it’s not single speed, as far as my experience has been.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
      Congrats on the new arrival. But the Jet makes only one scroll saw, and it’s not single speed, as far as my experience has been.
      Before Jet sold the one you have, they sold a few variations of a very well known chinese style of saw. You might recognize it from the picture, as it is commonly rebranded by many many vendors. Jet offered models well before this also, and have included a pic of one of those also. I'm pretty sure you can still get this more recent chinese style from vendors in other parts of the world.

image_74670.jpg

Even Earlier 26" model (Jet JSS-26)

image_74671.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hotshot; 11-09-2019, 07:15 PM.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

My Jet is a 1988 model. 15" I paid $15 for it a few years ago. (another creigs list find) $15 Jet Saw.jpg
        Last edited by Jim Finn; 11-17-2019, 11:42 AM.
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Randy, I’m impressed with the scope of your knowledge! I never imagined that the current saw had such an interesting history.

And Jim, you are to be commended for your skill at finding bargains! Now you can have several different angles set to go for your inlay projects.

And here I assumed that Jet just jumped on the bandwagon to fill a void in their tool lineup. Silly me!
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
            Randy, I’m impressed with the scope of your knowledge! I never imagined that the current saw had such an interesting history.

And Jim, you are to be commended for your skill at finding bargains! ….."
            I check into creigs list twice a day!

"No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I rarely tell people I have multiple saws in our shop. I still have my original Delta variable speed my (now) husband bought for me in 1992 (I think). I also have my RBI Hawk 26" that was my upgrade. My husband bought me the Excalibur in 2008 for Christmas after I drooled over it many times at the Canadian wood shows we often attended. He found a "deal" on Craigslist for an RBI. We we got it home, I figured out it was one of the early ones with very difficult blade changes. Two sit with plastic covers (the Delta and older model RBI). I primarily use the Excalibur, especially now with the Pegas clamp head installed. I hope to return to the saw in the next week or so. I've been sidelined by my second knee replacement.
              Barbara
              Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Comment

The G4 is, in my opinion the best Hawk saw that they ever produced. Jim I have had and been using mine heavily since 2005 so I may be able to answer any question you may have.

Multiple saws, I sold my Delta SS-350 this past weekend to a fellow club member and he subsequently sold his older Delta to a newbie.
                I now only have the Hawk and the EX 16 with the Pegas clamps. I got the EX 16 thanks to a tip from TGIRO (Tony) who saw it on the Craigs list on Long Island NY, the owner is one of our club members and brought it to our last meeting. He had also tweaked the blade motion.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf;
                  The saw I have is also a 2005 or 6. It cuts well but seems noisy and when I get the blade tensioned, how I want it, the tension release lever near the blade swings forward and loosens the tension. I now have a rubber band holding it down as I run the saw. I have tried adjusting the little set screw under the upper arm, as the instructions say, but no help. The only way I have found to cause it to work correctly without the rubber band, is if I have very loose blade tension. Any ideas?
                  "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Jim, there is a small allen screw under the arm that needs to be tweaked now and then to keep the lever in place. this picture is from under the arm. Adjust a little bit at a time until it holds. Cam tension screw (Medium).jpg
                    Rolf

Comment

I have tried tweaking this set screw form very loose to up all the way. No help. Could it be that I am adjusting it too much each try?
                      "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I adjust it just a bit at a time 1/8 - 1/4 turn tighter if you go too tight the lever will be very difficult to move.
                        Rolf

Comment

I have run that set screw all the way in and still can tighten the tension but it will not stay there. I called the manufacturer. today and she suggested the cam needs replacing. I also found a little play (1/16") in the lower arm to the plastic pitman assembly and this may be why the saw is noisy, especially under load. Have you ever replaced that? They want $200 plus shipping to fix that. I agree, the saw cuts very well.
                          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I did replace the pitman arm.a couple of years ago. They want you to send the saw in? You can replace it yourself, I bought the pitman arm assembly from them at one of the open houses. I am sorry that you are so far away or I would swing by and take care of it for you.
                            Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              I did replace the pitman arm.a couple of years ago. They want you to send the saw in? You can replace it yourself, I bought the pitman arm assembly from them at one of the open houses. I am sorry that you are so far away or I would swing by and take care of it for you.
                              Is there a separate bearing required when replacing the Pittman arm? I would like to do it myself. Also, do I need an arbor press to do this?
                              Last edited by Jim Finn; 11-17-2019, 11:46 AM.
                              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X