No announcement yet.

Sander to be delivered tomorrowls he needs to the sander. He wants to get them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sander to be delivered tomorrowls he needs to the sander. He wants to get them

Bruce disassembled the old one and took it to his brother’s, in pieces, to be recycled. He recycles everything. Bruce wants to know what size wheels he needs. He wants to get them before it gets here. Guess he’s anxious to use it.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

What Sander are you getting Betty? Knowing that will let us figure out perhaps the size wheels needed.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

I'm thinking a sweet set of wheels would be a Dodge Daytona Superbird painted Petty blue. (All original--serial numbers matching, please)
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Actually Jim, I’m thinking a red Jaguar, late 60s. The super max 16x32 sander came today and he got wheels for it. It’s all together and almost ready to go after Bruce reads the directions.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

You and Bruce will love that sander, Betty. I replaced my Dewalt planer with one of those. The planer got used every couple of weeks. I had to wear hearing protection to use it, and I tended to do a lot of boards at once so I didn't have to use it often.

I use the sander every other day I'm in the shop. It's quiet, it's easy to use, and with the digital gauge, I can take a board down to exact thickness. I recommend 60, 80, 100, and 150/180 grit belts for it. I, also, have some 36 grit, but haven't had to use them yet. I get rolls from Klingspor. You'll get two or three extra belts by cutting your own and they are easy to cut.
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

My 16-32 Super max has saved me a small fortune considering how much thin wood I use.
            Since you are replacing a drum sander you already know what not to run through it. Like painted wood.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Tony, if you use 34 grit, be prepared to follow it with 60 to get the scratches out! But it does work really well, especially useful if you don’t have a planer. I use 60 it I need to take much wood down, but my all-purpose is 100.

Drum Sanders are also great for removing twists and cupping, as well as getting planer marks out. And even if you don’t need the DRO precision in general, it’s great for making sure that multiples are all dimensioned to the exact same thickness.

Also, even after its purchase by Laguna, the tech support is really good.
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you Carole, I was able to tell Bruce I told you so. For some reason lately my wood has been getting “wonky” after I cut a basket. I told Bruce I should be able to run a basket through the sander before gluing up to get the “wonkiness” out. That 1/16th drives me crazy!!! As for the sander, nothing was done today as we were wrapping up our 3 day show that we set up tomorrow. It will be a welcome break. Looking forward to Bruce running the sander.
                Betty

Comment

I like to pre-sand my 1/8 Baltic birch ply as some of it has the grain a bit raised, not sure if it was like that when I bought or if my basement moisture is to blame/
                  Any way I used to dimension my pieces and then run them over my Sandflee a couple of times per side, very time consuming. I now cut a long strip of the appropriate width and run it through the Super Max with 220 grit. The DRO is nice for controlling what I take off.
                  It saves me a huge amount of time.

Another thing is I needed to thin down some very curly Maple. did a light cut with my planer and it chunked out a bunch of the softer areas. I had just received the Sander a few days before this happened and it save my project.
                  Rolf

Comment

We got the sander last Tuesday but only had time to put it together. On Monday Bruce got it working and it is wonderful. So easy to use and adjust. He was able to sand a piece to 1/16” with no problem. Now for the saw.
                    Betty

Comment

Betty what saw are you looking at? If I were in the market for a new one I would get the Pegas.
                      Don't get me wrong I am still a lover of my Hawk. But after cutting at 45 Deg on the 16" EX, the tilting arm Vs the tilting table made a huge difference in control.
                      Rolf

Comment

Go with a pegas, It seems to be getting the best reviews, maybe wait till Black Friday sale possibly, RJ
                        Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

I'm going to have to parrot the choir and say Pegas or King. SInce GI moved the manufacturing to China, there have been issues with the Excaliburs. OF all the Taiwanese tilt head saws - Pegas and King seem to be the companies to trust for quality assurance and service.
                          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I’m going to a friend of ours who has a Pegas to try it. I want tilt arm, wide table and top feed blade. Not too much for a girl to ask for, is it?
                            Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                              Reply to My fourth scroll saw in my shop.
                              by Jim Finn
                              Rolf;
                              The saw I have is also a 2005 or 6. It cuts well but seems noisy and when I get the blade tensioned, how I want it, the tension release lever near the blade swings forward and loosens the tension. I now have a rubber band holding it down as I run the saw. I have tried adjusting the...
                              Today, 09:58 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Pegas saw
                              by will8989
                              Bob, thewoodworkingshows.com Baltimore is 1/3-1/5. Lately it seems they always have space. And it’s not that far for you to travel!
                              Hegner converted their top blower to a vacuum which I really like. What needs to be changed on the Pegas saw? I don’t want to buy something than need to change...
                              Today, 09:01 PM
                            • vgraf
                              Reply to Pegas saw
                              by vgraf
                              Rolf,
                              Most blowers blow the dust from the left side to keep the cutting line clear. Did you disconnect your blower so that the vacuum system sucks the dust from the left keeping the pattern lines clear?
                              Today, 07:34 PM
                            • vgraf
                              Reply to Price Tags
                              by vgraf
                              I found some small tags at Hobby Lobby. They were in the Jewelry materials section.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jew...p/13171-TI0524

They were about 3/8" x 5/8".

$4.99 for a packet...
                              Today, 07:22 PM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to Pegas saw
                              by Rolf
                              I added a trap to catch the small pieces that I don't want to lose. Also a simple swivel so I can swing the top part out of the way without messing with the upper nozzle. I did not glue the joints in case I get a clog. ...
                              Today, 05:23 PM
                            Working...
                            X