Re-arranged my workshop need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-arranged my workshop need suggestions

I am slowly purging some stuff from my shop in an effort to remove clutter, no easy task.
    Anyway I have moved my chop saw and it is the only tool in my shop without dust collection. Connecting the hose to the small fitting at the back is ineffective. Do any of you have dust collection on your chop saw? If so could you post a picture.
    Last edited by Rolf; 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Rolf, hubby has a miter saw which is similar (just learned the difference thanks to Google ). For a long time, he did not have it hooked up to our dust collection system but he has recently added it on. I will try to get some pictures for you later.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Bruce has his new one in the shed and uses it outside. As soon as he is done he locks it back up. Good luck rearranging Rolf. Bruce is constantly doing that.
      Last edited by will8989; 03-27-2019, 09:28 AM.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I don't have DC connected to my CMS. I agree that a shop vac, connected to the dust port on the saw is lacking, but better than nothing. Most of the solutions I've seen, whether commercially available or home made, involve some sort of huge hood to accommodate the movement of the CMS. While they may work well for collecting dust, they detract from one of the key advantages of the CMS and that is portability and small foot print. Lots of folks have a CMS or even ditched their RAS in favor of a CMS, because they lack space for any kind of permanent set-up. That's kind of where I'm at. I put a home hade dust hood on my RAS last year, but I use it primarily for 90 degree cross cuts, so I'm not swinging it side to side for miters. It's still pretty big. It's taking up dead space behind the RAS anyway, so it isn't a problem, but to do something similar for my CMS would take a complete overhaul of my shop layout.

Anyway, I Googled images of CMS dust hoods and this one looks pretty cool.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

When I had my chop saw in the shop, I had it connected to the DC through a 2-1/2" hose that attached to the saw through an adoptor,I found at HD. The adopter was a rubber thing that had three layers of fitting on it, I found that one of he middle fittings fit tight around the outside of the saw's dust port. I had to cut off the smaller fittings, which was easy with an Xacto knife.

Here is the link to the adopter at HD -- https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...1407/100206293
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I had mine connected to my dust collector, but as you said it does not really worked. More dust come from everywhere else aroundd the blade.

Comment

Ive seen a picture of one set up with a “big gulp” type dc fitting behind the saw, I assume to use a 4” hose. Not sure how well it worked but may be worth a try.
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
              Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

Bill that is what I have envisioned. The only compound miter saw that has great dust collection built in is the Festool Kapex for a mere $1500 but that is a bit much for my needs.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Maybe somethin like this? I do not own one nor know anyone who does.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fastcap-SAW...ngshoppinga-20
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X