No announcement yet.

Pegas blades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still like the FD blades, but I've been playing with the Pegas MG blades, lately. I like them. Specially the #5 #3 and 2/0 blades when cutting intarsia pieces. I haven't had any breakage on them any more than the FD blades. Since Mike sold out to Wooden Teddy Bear, I've been getting my blades from here -- http://www.scrollsawbladespatterns.com/index.htm

They have FD, Pegas, and Olsen blades and their prices seem to be par with everyone else.
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post
      I have tried the Pegas blades and found them very aggressive. I could not get a sharp corner as they had a mind of their own. I think it is just a matter of getting used to.

My go to blade is still the FD-UR. I think it gives much smoother interior cuts

Also I am cheap.

When I bought the Pegas blades I bought from Bear Woods in Canada and since I am in Canada too the shipping was over $12 and I had to pay 13% tax. Ended up near $7 a dozen. Just order a gross of FD-UR and with shipping and conversion to CAD the cost is $4.10 per dozen
      I wonder if the difference may be in the saw? I have an EX, which cuts fairly aggressively, even more so than my old DeWalt. I've played around with adjusting the motor to change the cutting characteristics, but frankly didn't notice much difference. Like Rolf, I've always used Olson 2/0 for really fine, detail work. I've been intrigued with all the positive reviews of Pegas blades, but wonder if the aggressive tooth configuration, coupled with the aggressive cut of the EX would make them hard to control.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill I have also tried the Pegas 2/0 28 tooth version, that is not as aggressive but still cuts faster than the Olson 2/0. I am still trying to tune in the right tension and saw speed for these blades.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Grobet makes great products. Pegas and Pike (Pike for Jewelers blades)

FD was good, and I liked dealing with Mike, but since his passing, I've switch completely to Pegas/Pike.
          "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I have always used PSWood #2. They allow me to cut all thickness of wood and I can make very small and tight corners. They are precision ground, so they cut aggressively. There was a learning curve. When I first started using them, I would cut on scrap wood first and then switch back to my project. Also they are a little more money, but I buy gross and usually picked them up at shows. I send an email to Barb and she makes sure that she has my favorites handy. This saves on the expense.

I own a Hawk, so that is where I do most of my cutting. I belong to a club and they use Dewalt, so I have also used their saws. I always change to my blade and they seem to cut the same on both saws. They only difference is the speed that I can set the saw too. Hawk has more speed range, so I can easily adjust it to the blade sharpness.

Just recently we received a pack of Pegas blades at a show. My husband has been trying them. He said that they break easier than PSWood and do not stay as sharp.

www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Thanks to Steve Good's review of the Pegas Modified Geometry, I decided to give them a try. That was about 6 months ago. Since then I have used them exclusively unless I run out before the new shipment arrives. I rarely have any problems with broken blades. Since I started using them on my EX21 I have nothing to compare any issues with aggressiveness of the blades.

Prior to trying the Pegas GM blades I was hooked on the FDUR blades. I have not noticed any difference in blade life. I have been cutting lots of stacks of Maple, Mahogany, Walnut.
              Last edited by cwmagee; 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM.
              cwmagee
              aka Fibber
              Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Most blades are re-branded since there are few actual blade manufacturers. I wonder who makes PS woods blades. I would love to see the lineage of all our blades.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                  Most blades are re-branded since there are few actual blade manufacturers. I wonder who makes PS woods blades. I would love to see the lineage of all our blades.
                  I have a feeling that family tree has VERY few branches.
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Cutting some 3D angels today I was out of Pegas blades and found some ps#5 blades and was quite pleased with the results.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I ordered some PS #5 blades and will test them out.
                      Brian in the Four Corners

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X