Stolen - chopsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen - chopsaw

yep. Taken from the shed. Bruce used it a while back on the cabinets and when he went to get it, he asked me where it was. Like I would know. When he works outside he leaves the shed open when not in the backyard. At the top of the hill is an 8’ fence with the Catholic charities apt building on the other side. Evidently somebody was walking in the woods, which we haven’t seen or heard anyone for years, saw the saw, lugged it up the steep hill and who knows. They had to carry it a distance to get anywhere. At least they didn’t take his $500 bike. So he was looking at one on sale at Lowe’s. He said it would be easy for ME to use and was the one he preferred. I never ever used the last one why would I use this one?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Sorry to hear. A chop saw is an easy way to break long board down to project size pieces. While any saw can hurt you it is safer then a table saw.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That stinks! What saw does he have his eye on?
      We have had a few issues this past summer with small burglaries, I have lots of expensive yard tools in my shed with no simple way to lock it. The obvious hasp with lock was just too ugly for my shed. We do have cameras in strategic locations that I installed before our last Open house trip. My wife saw an add for the Nest/ Yale lock that looked interesting. Pricey but it is now installed with some modifications to the inside of the door. It works great Keypad and cell phone operated.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That really sucks, what ever happened to the days where we never locked our house or car doors, I guess I am still living in the past, RJ
        Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

That’s what he says Scott. I can cut boards to size. That’s why I have him around, isn’t it? It’s between a kobalt and hitachi. Lowe’s is having a good sale on them. If I go up on the hill I’ll prpbably find it as it was an old sears one and quit heavy. Hope they got a hernia. That shed has some sanders and a drill press I use outside for flap sanding. The other shed has the lawn equipment. I have all the serial numbers with pics on everything that has one on a flash drive. Kevin is looking on Craig’s list. RJ I remember back in the 60s when I came to visit my grandparents we would sleep with the doors and windows wide open. The Baltimore beltway now runs on the hill by their property. No more peace and quiet.
          Last edited by will8989; 09-07-2018, 10:17 AM.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Harbor Freight just sent us their new Hercules 12" sliding compound miter saw to review. I've got it set up, and made a few cuts on it. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality! I've not had time to do an extensive review, though. Deadlines... people who want their magazines on time...

Bob
            www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
            www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
            www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

I have a 12 x 16 shed that I keep a lot of yard tools in.. I put small roll down doors on each end and keep it locked. We also have a monitored home security system and the door on the shed have sensors. No Windows on the shed or garage to make things easy for someone.

it is too bad but you just can not trust people not to steal things.

Comment

I have a 12" Hitachi compound miter saw and used it a few times on disaster relief house re-builds - until my son in law needed one. He still has it! But I don't mind that much because of what he builds for my grandkids! I bought it 5 years ago for the purpose of mobility. Did great. IN Japan, I was surprised to learn that Hitachi was Japan woodworkers favorite brand (over Makita and other brands). I have had a 12" Makita Sliding compound MS since 2000, but it is just a tad too heavy and combersome to hauling around (for me). AND the Makita along with most compound Sliding miter saws require 36 - 38 inches clearance from the walls. Delta has the Cruzer similar to the Bosch Glide and in effect similar to a Festool in that it does not need nearly so much clearance space from the walls to make wide cuts. (the Delta has 18" cross cut capacity.) But these new designs cost more money.

I bought the Hitachi because I thought I was going to do some segmented bowl turning and the simpler the miter saws are, usually the more accurate repeat cuts are (on good brand saws). 1/16th to 1/8th of a degree off sure messes up segmented bowls. I have not had the time to get into segmented bowls yet so I haven't missed it yet. AND I have decided a sled on my TS will be better for segmented sections.

Still, I enjoyed the Hitachi. It was/is solid built and sure lock stops. I am sure the Kobalts are too. Read reviews. A good miter saw is an investment. I have checked out the new HF saw that Bob mentioned, several times and it seems solid. I have bought HF tools off and on for 40 years or so. Some tools just were not worth buying. And previous versions of their sliding miter saw were not of good quality IMHO. But this one seems solid - and has the long front to rear clearance need if positioning in the shop in one position. (OK for large spaces but not for smaller spaces.)
                Hank Lee
                Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Space is a problem. The one stolen was a sears 10” mitre saw and was “portable”. Since I haven’t used the table saw since my injury, Bruce thought it would be a good purchase for “me” to trim my wood to size when he isn’t around. He did use it quite a bit for the cabinets so I guess it is a “must have” tool.
                  Betty

Comment

Sad to hear about the theft.
                    There has been someone trying to get into vehicles in our neighborhood during the wee hours of the morning. Several folks have video of him, but never a good facial shot. Always wearing a hoodie.
                    The interior of my truck was tossed, but they most not be interested in my mobile ham gear, because that is the only thing of value in the cab, other than the clearance bin pliers and such behind the seat.
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

HMM. You sure it isn't Bruce that made the old one disappear so he could get a new one. A chop saw is a must have in my opinion and certainly in my shop, otherwise I would have to use portable tools to long stuff to size.
                      I had an old Delta 10 inch. I replaced it with the Makita dual slide 10 inch. The fence on it is a bit finicky and I was never 100% satisfied with it's calibration. If I were doing lots of miters, picture frames and such I would go nuts and buy the Festool Kapex. I do all of the really precise angle cuts on my table saw.
                      Rolf

Comment

Now might be the time to buy a Sawstop table saw, no more accidents, and a great cutting machine, RJ
                        Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

A table saw is a great tool but for large or long stuff not so good, especially in a smaller shop.
                          Rolf

Comment

Yep miter saws are a must have maybe that's why I have so many. The 10" Hitachi has been a good saw. The Dewalt 12" is the one I use the most. The Ryobi 12" has a bad casting on the fence it will not cut a perfect 90 so I replaced the plastic throat inserts and use it to cut steel. The 10" Makita is also a nice saw but the Hitachi has more features. The Rigid 12" is my jobsite saw. If I dig deep enough there are probably a couple older ones around here too.
                            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

When things slow down, in January, we (Bruce) will be going to the Foundry to use their tools, which include 2 sawstops. Our plan is to go to gruff and gruff, get our wood, stop at the foundry on the way home, plane, sand and cut to size. Now, if it just works that way.
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X