• Show
Clear All

• Blade and TPI Recommendations for Scroll Work on a Bandsaw

Originally posted by leehljp View Post
    Here is the link that changed the way I set up and tune my band saw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU
    Alex Snodgrass Bandsaw set up clinic

About 30 minutes but worth it.

WOW - Re-watching after 3 years; I forgot a lot and I gave some wrong information above. I did what he said on the YouTube 3 years ago but forgot the procedure. This is well worth watching.
    The above quote is copied from another thread but I wanted to reiterate the value of setting a bandsaw up the way Alex Snodrass does. I have an older Powermatic 14" bandsaw (PM 140) that I bought for sawing bamboo strips for making bamboo fly rods. Haven't gotten to that yet, but recently discovered the method above and find that it really works. Prior, I relied on the methods in the the attachment, which I do not find in conflict with Snodgrass. I have a Kreg fence, which I really like. I was in the process of installing Carter guides when I discovered Snodgrass. The PM 140 has a different arrangement of the trunions that severely complicated installation of the lower guides, which took quite a bit to overcome. They are installed now and working well. I am in the process of chasing down some vibration. I discovered and replace a stamped metal pulley on the motor, which removed most of the vibration. Still a little that I'd like to get rid of. The PM 140 has a one-piece cast frame, so no possibility of adding a riser block.

Here is my reason for this post: I want to use the bandsaw for scroll work on larger pieces than fit in my DeWalt 788. I'm also interested in trying out making bandsaw boxes. I have a large Birdseye Maple burl that is too big to fit in my bandsaw, but I have access to larger ones at a pattern-maker friend's shop. I do not currently have any have lumber/logs that I want to do resawing on, but that is definitely an function I will use at some time in the future. I have on order the Carter Stabilizer Guide

I do not have but will be buying soon blades for doing the scroll work on the bandsaw. I plan on using 1/8" and 3/16" blades. I would like to hear what types of blades and the TPI that some of you have found that work well for scrolling on a bandsaw.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick
    "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Question, how do you use the scrollsaw blades in the bandsaw? Sounds dangerous to me. Would like more info on that.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I am interested to see replies on this. I used to have a 12 inch Sears/Craftsman band saw that the head tilted instead of the table. On that one I had a couple of 1/8 inch blades and used them on occasion on larger items as you mentioned. I didn't have that saw set up like Alex S. did but it worked great the several times I used it like that.

The only place that I know that has 1/8" blades is Highland Hardware and theirs are 1/8 X 14TPI available in a number of lengths.
      https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...sawblades.aspx

BTW, there is a blade rounding stone that I do not have, but I have read good reviews that it works good for decreasing the radius of a cut.
      https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...dingstone.aspx
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
        Question, how do you use the scrollsaw blades in the bandsaw? Sounds dangerous to me. Would like more info on that.
        Betty,

Watch the video at the link in the quote of my initial post. Towards the end he does some scroll work. It is in the special guide and setup. In your reply, you mention using scrollsaw blades in a bandsaw. I am not talking about a literal interpretation of that question. One uses a 1/8" or other bandsaw blade, not a scrollsaw blade. The video shows it all.

Here is a link to the Stabilizer Guide: http://www.carterproducts.com/band-s...saw-stabilizer

Originally posted by leehljp View Post
        I am interested to see replies on this. I used to have a 12 inch Sears/Craftsman band saw that the head tilted instead of the table. On that one I had a couple of 1/8 inch blades and used them on occasion on larger items as you mentioned. I didn't have that saw set up like Alex S. did but it worked great the several times I used it like that.

The only place that I know that has 1/8" blades is Highland Hardware and theirs are 1/8 X 14TPI available in a number of lengths.
        https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...sawblades.aspx

BTW, there is a blade rounding stone that I do not have, but I have read good reviews that it works good for decreasing the radius of a cut.
        https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...dingstone.aspx
        Hank,

Timberwolf: http://timberwolfblades.com/index.php

and Carter: http://www.carterproducts.com/band-s...and-saw-blades

sell bandsaw blades down to 1/8" wide.

I'm sure others must, I just haven't looked any further. Timberwolf has more than one type, Carter has only one for 1/8" blades.

I've seen photos of the rounding stone for band saw blades. I'd like to find it to buy one. I've looked but not found it yet. I have a number of stones, mostly from my machinist father's toolbox that I've used to round the backs of scroll saw blades but have not tried them on band saw blades. I'm sure they'd work, but most of what I have are fairly fine.

Rick
        Rick
        "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Comment

I think I have been working in the kitchen too long. I misread your article. We use the timberwolf blades.
          Last edited by will8989; Today, 01:07 AM.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Rick, the Timberwolf or Carter Accurite blades are my goto's for 1/8th and 3/16th.

The only issue is that, the small teeth on them can gum up pretty quickly. I'll coil the blade and let it soak for about 20 minutes in Simple Green. Then a good stiff plastic brush and it will be cleaned up and ready to go again.
            Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Originally posted by tgiro01 View Post
              Rick, the Timberwolf or Carter Accurite blades are my goto's for 1/8th and 3/16th.

The only issue is that, the small teeth on them can gum up pretty quickly. I'll coil the blade and let it soak for about 20 minutes in Simple Green. Then a good stiff plastic brush and it will be cleaned up and ready to go again.
              I don't like the sound of that. I was concerned about the high tooth count for most of them (14tpi for both 1/8" blades and 10tpi for one of the TW 3/16"). I see that TW has a 3/16" wide blade with 4tpi, positive rake. That seems like a good bet for teeth that won't clog as much. Have you tried that one and found it to clog as well?

Rick
              Rick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• strohman
                Reply to Which end is up?
                strohman
                I did indeed have the blade in upside down. I was using some Bosch blades that I picked up from Lowes.
                On Friday I got some Olsen blades in the mail. I hadn't ever seen any blades this thin. It was a bit of a struggle seeing the teeth, but I was able to feel the top and bottom of the blade...
                Today, 09:49 PM
              • Trackman
                Reply to Fall Issue #72
                Trackman
                I too wish the best for Mindy!
                Today, 07:11 PM
              • Kiwi
                Reply to Jaguar
                Kiwi
                It is a pattern from Neal Moore's book "Wildlife Portraits in Wood." He has some other interesting designs in that book and gives full instructions on how best to make each project.

Each of the pattern parts are cut from a piece of 12mm plywood. Then they are stained their respective...
                Today, 05:32 PM
              • leehljp
                Reply to Fall Issue #72
                leehljp
                I received mine yesterday but didn't get to look through until this (Sunday) afternoon. Carole had another great article in it. This one was on a Dice Tower.

When looking at the dice tower, I didn't notice the author until I was the next page and I looked back. It was Carole!
                Today, 03:45 PM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to Jaguar
                Sandy Oaks
                Very well done. Can you show a side view to get a feel for the depth?
                Today, 12:16 PM
              Working...
              X