14" band saw recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14" band saw recommendations

I have a friend that is looking to buy himself a band saw and looking for brand recommendations.
    I suggested 14" with the 6 inch riser and roller bearing guides as a minimum.
    I have a Delta that I added all that stuff to for re sawing.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

This question is asked 4 or 5 times a year on the pen turning forum and the usual answers will be Rikon, Jet, Grizzly and Harbor Freight. I have the Grizzly G055 and like it but at the time I purchased it, I don't think the Rikon was out. In general, I see more surprise satisfaction with the Rikon. The more expensive Jet 14 inch rarely gets negative reviews but the cheaper ones with graphite guides do. The HF has its fans for its price. To me, the HF needs some add on upgrades and adjustments more than the others. I have not had a problem with my Grizzly except that I needed to add a tension lever for quick release. Runs and tracks well but online - have read a few people haven't liked it.

For general use, I would go with Rikon or Grizzly or more expensive Jet.
    Hank Lee
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Thanks Hank.
      Rolf

Comment

I have been using the Grizzly G0555 for about 6 years with the 6-inch riser in it. It comes with bearing guides. I have added the Carter quick change lever and I have the Carter guide for the small blades. I, also use the Carter mag fence for quick re-sawing, but I had it before I got the G0555.

I can recommend it. I notice the G0555LX is on sale, albeit, their current sale price is about $120 more than I paid for it 6 years ago. The 6-inch riser is about $95.

I can recommend Grizzly's service department. I had an issue, about a year ago - long after the warranty ran out. I gave them a call and they were able to talk me through a good local fix over the phone - at no charge.

Some of the other companies might have a couple extra bells & whistles, but the G0555 has been a solid saw.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Thank you Tony. Our next meeting is next week and I will see what he ended up buying.
          Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X