New Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Saw

I have had 3 Scroll Saws since I picked up this hobby years ago. I started with a Dremel, moved up to the Dewalt 788 and then after wearing that one out after 5 years I moved up to the Excalibur. I loved the Excalibur and it was great for about the first 6 months. Then out of no where something popped and the machine began to grind and make a terrible noise. Called the tech help at Seyco and they were great in trying to help me. Turns out the Motor Cam Shaft broke in half. They said they have never seen it before and it must have been a fault in the metal. They sent out the replacement part and walked me through the replacement procedures. I put the machine right back to work but it has never been right since (happened in 2016). I have tried everything I can to get it back to where it was, arm adjustments, motor adjustments, speed adjustments, etc. but nothing has worked. It has gotten to the point where I just can't use it on the fret work I do.

In no way is this a reflection of the people at Seyco. They were and have been great in trying to help me out. I would highly recommend them to anyone who asked about their products or customer service.

So to the point of my post, I am in the market for an upgrade. I put up to 40 hours a week on these machines, mostly fine fret work, so I need a machine that will hold up. I am leaning towards a Jet Scroll Saw but some others have caught my eye that could work. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bcdennis; 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM.
    Brian in the Four Corners

Just my opinion, but doing that much scrolling... I can think of two, really built for production. Hegner and Hawk. I have a Hegner so I may be biased. I have a Hegner and a Seyco. The Hegner is my favorite. I have never had the opportunity to work on a Hawk.
    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

I have a hegner that I’ve had for 15 years. That being said, it feeds the blade from the bottom which may be a draw back if you do a lot of fretwork.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I too have a Hegner for(20 years),I have never used it for 40 hours a week but I would be willing to bet it could easily take it.A great machine
        Will

Comment

Like you started with a Dremel. Then burned through two Dewalts. Bought an older used Hawk, an Ex 21 and an older Hegner. Many weeks I am 20+ hours in the shop and 80% of my cutting is on the EX. I do all my fret work on the EX. Based on the number of hours you work I would advise you to skip the used market and buy new. BTW the Jet is a bottom feeder only saw.
          Last edited by NC Scroller; 05-26-2018, 07:37 AM.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

The consensus at our office was that unless you swap out the blade clamps/heads on the Jet, it's not worth using. They are just too much of a pain to use.

If you're looking for something similar to the EX, I'd look at the Seyco and King Industrial (sold by Woodcraft). The Seyco saw has the advantage of Seyco's outstanding customer support and can cut wood up to 2-1/2" thick (with special blades), but you lose the rack and pinion system to change the angle of the saw arm (to make angled cuts), and you cannot cut at angles over 30° without building an auxiliary table.

King Industrial come in two sizes: 16" and 30". They are identical to the old EX saws, but you don't have Seyco's legendary customer support. Instead, you work through the Kin Industrial's network of repair centers.

www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Not sure why you would want/need to replace the blade holders on the Jet. I've had one for almost two years and love it. I agree the bottom barrel can be a pain to get in and out the way they designed it to be done - but if you take off the bottom blade guard, you can swing the blade down and slide the barrel out the side - it works much better that way. Other than that, I feel they are great blade holders and the single motion clamping and tensioning is great for fretwork.

Comment

I agree with Scrappile, Hegner or a Hawk. They will live forever. I lean towards the Hawk. I may however get a small King for travel etc.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Paladin,
                  You are literally the only person I've talked to that feels that way! We found the top clamp finicky and challenging to get on the first try. It also totally prevented you from being able to top feed the saw. I'm glad to find someone to advocate for the saw. For me, the top clamps were a deal breaker. Until we replaced the clamps with the Pegas blade heads, that saw sat unused in a corner of our storage area--it wasn't even in our shop. But after the changeover, it became a popular saw.

FWIW, Pegas is also releasing a kit with just the bottom blade clamp. I'm still waiting to get the pricing on that kit.

www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I wonder, is the Jet blade clamp more difficult than the Hegner. Hegner you remove the clamp, put it in a holder and use a tool. Took me a little while to get use to it, but it is second mature to me now. I think I could do it blind folded now. Are not the older Hawks that way also? I also do all my work bottom feeding, and I think I do some pretty detailed fret work, and that is just no problem for me.
                    Last edited by Scrappile; 05-26-2018, 10:34 AM.
                    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

For the top of the Jet, you position the top of the blade in the holder, and then flip a lever that simultaneously grabs the blade and tensions it. On the bottom, it's similar to the Hegner clamp in that you remove the clamp and put it in a special holder to loosen and reclamp a blade, but unlike the Hegner, it's barrel shaped.

I top feed, and with the lifting arm on the Jet (that stays in place on its own when you lift it), it's a natural saw for top feeding. But, the automatic grip and tension top blade holder prevents you from top feeding. While you'd probably get use to taking the bottom blade holder out to change blades, I prefer a fixed bottom blade clamp.

www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I have no problem changing the blade on the Hegner. After 15 years it is second nature. As for customer service, they are fantastic. In 15 years I have spent about $500 on parts I have worn out. I average about 20hours week. And I still have 5 years full warranty left on the motor.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

What I like about the newer Hawks (2005 -now) and the Hegners is the fact that the blade clamps are not part of the saw. If you over tighten or strip a clamp you toss it and get another, cheap and simple. I will say that the new Pegas upgrade for the EX type of saw is a dramatic and apparently robust upgrade. Initially the Jet upper blade clamp really intrigued me. A clamp that closes and tensions the blade all in one motion, WOW. The problem I think is, if it is set for a very thin blade you have to tweak it for a big blade and vice versa. Paladin what are your thoughts on this? please correct me if I am wrong.
                          Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                            What I like about the newer Hawks (2005 -now) and the Hegners is the fact that the blade clamps are not part of the saw. If you over tighten or strip a clamp you toss it and get another, cheap and simple. I will say that the new Pegas upgrade for the EX type of saw is a dramatic and apparently robust upgrade. Initially the Jet upper blade clamp really intrigued me. A clamp that closes and tensions the blade all in one motion, WOW. The problem I think is, if it is set for a very thin blade you have to tweak it for a big blade and vice versa. Paladin what are your thoughts on this? please correct me if I am wrong.
                            I have used everything from a 2/0 spiral to a #5 flat blade without having to adjust the upper clamp. I don't remember if I have tried a 2/0 flat blade in it yet, but have used down to a #1.

The Jet is only designed for bottom-feeding, so if you prefer to top-feed than you should look elsewhere.

Comment

Paladin, it seems you have found the clamps sweet spot that others have found to be elusive. I don't top feed very often but when I cut Charles Hand's Winter Retreat I was glad I could. I wonder how many saw complaints (all saws) are more due to a lack of understanding and poor maintenance than actually inferior saws.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce’s new toys
                                by will8989
                                I forgot to mention the 5000 watt(?) generator his brother gave him. His brother does house remodeling and lots of times people give him “stuff” just to get rid of it. Bruce had to drain the gas, change the fuel lines and some other minor things for $35 and it starts on the first pull....
                                Today, 09:20 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                This is his $40 haul. The paint bush was never used. He cleaned up the grinder. He added up all the attachments and brand new everything would be almost $800. This was their yearly tool swap. Every month members bring things they don’t need and swap smaller items. Even scrap wood. Anything 5”x5”...
                                Today, 09:06 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                That is what our woodworking group does for the members if sadly needed....
                                Today, 08:49 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Hi All
                                by Rolf
                                Where are you located in England? I was at RAF Lakenheath back in the early 70's and bought my 70 TVR Vixen, which I still have. I absolutely loved my time there.!...
                                Today, 08:46 AM
                              • Kingpin
                                Reply to Hi All
                                by Kingpin
                                all for the warm welcome 😎
                                Today, 07:03 AM
                              Working...
                              X